Author Topic: I miss Rare.  (Read 6724 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« on: April 17, 2003, 10:59:52 PM »
I was just reading about some retarded racing game that Rare is making (no, I am not a fan of Diddy Kong Racing), and I had to smile, even though it was in the Xbox section.  I know that it's going to be like 5 years before the game is seen in public, and chances are that I wouldn't buy it even if it was on GameCube, but I just miss the concept of Rare.

It's true that Rare as an entity is gone and nothing more than a memory, even if you own an Xbox, but the news brought fond memories back.  I remember when Rare used to promise us games, then totally get quiet about them for years...  They were a lot like Nintendo in that regard.  Now they are gone forever...

(Looking over my post, I have to say that this is some of my worst writing EVER, but I think I got my point across.)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 06:59:31 AM »
  There is just a mystique with Rare for some reason.  I find that i'm upset they're gone, but I only liked a few of their games.  Weird.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 07:21:11 AM »
Yeah, I think we all loved/hated Rare for their idiosyncrasies.  Now we get to sit back and watch all the Xbox fans gaze at the slipping of Rare's release dates.

Hmm...I think I may go play some Banjo-Tooie...
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 07:02:03 PM »
O MY!!! the same exact thing just happened to me yesterday and i almost started a thread about it.....lol....i saw the same thing on the magic box....and i too did not like many of there games....but when i saw the thing for their new racing game it brought a tear to my eye(well not really)....but i seriously just started to miss rare. i dont know why. and even though i didnt really like many of their games too...but i think it was still for the best that they are gone now. and i think that m$ may have over paid......but one day they will make another great game....it could be 5 years from now, but they will make one....and i may just have to buy an xbox.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline TheGlueBubble

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 04:58:20 AM »
Does anyone else here think that Kameo will be the only rare Xbox game? I would not be one bit surprised if Perfect Dark 0 slipped into somewhere on Xbox 2.
GC games: Wind Waker, OOT/MQ, Ikaruga, Mario Sunshine, SSBM,  Resident Evil, Timesplitters 2, Animal Crossing

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 11:39:38 AM »
Remember when Rare told us that Kameo would be a launch title on GameCube?    And yeah, I am almost positive that there won't be more than 2 or 3 Xbox games from Rare.  Chances are they won't be so great either.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 04:28:25 PM »
to be honest i loved rare and most of the games that they did
the donkey kongs on snes were amazing (not on n64 though)
i really couldnt get into banjo kazooie but i loved goldeneye and pd
i especially love jet force gemini and of course conker's bfd
i guess seeing rare go to xbox isnt the biggest loss in the world, but i would love to see those franchises back on gc
but i do know nintendo is making a new donkey kong game which should be good
kameo looked promising but i havent seen much of it lately
personally i just want to see pd0 and how that turns out
i miss rare, but nintendo has a lot of money from that deal that they can spend in good ways  

yeah their new racing game is called saberman's stampede
it probably will use the donkey kong racing engine (with the animals) and stuff like that
i think it will be shown at e3
i call the big one bitey.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 12:48:05 PM »
The only Rare game I want is PD0.  I'd kill for that game.  I was majorly disappointed to find it wasn't coming out for the GameCube.  I really never cared about Kameo or Star Fox Adventures or any other of their games past the N64.  But I was utterly surprised when I played PD and saw that even now it absolutely blows away TimeSplitters 2 in terms of pure fun.  It's hard to even describe why, but it does.

Offline Mode 7

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 02:38:48 PM »
If Rare didn't hit such a slump in their final years under Nintendo's thumb, I would miss them. I was sort of shocked when they got sold away, but then when I reflected on their recent progress (or lack thereof), everything was A-OK.

Perfect Dark was most excellent, but then they ruined it. The only Rare franchise I will miss are Conker's games. BY the time that gets done, if it does at all, we'll be in the next generation of consoles and perhaps I will be more inclined to by the X-Box's lovechild.
Mode 7: The Filthy Mutie

"Clothes make the man; naked people have little or no affect on society." - Mark Twain

Offline MutFox

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 04:13:52 AM »
Hehe...

You'll be glad to hear that basically all of the GoldenEye and Perfect Dark Team
went to Zoonami.

Zoonmai is doing stuff only for nintendo.
Microsoft only got the RARE name, not the Talent.
-=MutFox=-

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 07:57:46 AM »
i dont think all the talent left to zoonami
i think free radical got some too- but zoonami doesnt have as many people as you think
they are loosly made up of i think 7 guys (according to their web site)
personally i would like to see rare on nintendo but i guess it wont happen
wait till e3 to see what rare shows and zoonami for that matter
i call the big one bitey.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 09:05:02 AM »
  I think GAME ZERO from ZOONAMI will be a shooter, even though it's been denied.  Hopefully it'll be the Joanna Dark killer.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 10:21:57 AM »
As E3 approaches, I'm really starting to miss Rare.  The latest Scribes on the Rareware web site hinted that Kameo will not be the only title shown at E3.  I'm betting on both Perfect Dark and the Saberman racing game to be there and in spite of what everyone says here, I believe Rare will have at least two Xbox titles finished before the end of the year, maybe even three.
I was really looking forward to Kameo and DKR, and I'm going to be sick when I see more of them on Xbox.  Perfect Dark 0 looks good too, although I've never been a huge fan of FPS.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2003, 02:00:15 PM »
Almost everything Rare did in 3-D sucked.  Donkey Kong for SNES was good, so good that I thought Nintendo had done them (though I imagine they helped).  Star Fox Adventures was okay, but would have been better with another developer, and Goldeneye was fun.  I don't regret Rare leaving, but it's cool to hear the good ones went to Zoonami or whatever.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2003, 02:12:53 PM »

Originally posted by: MutFox
Hehe...

You'll be glad to hear that basically all of the GoldenEye and Perfect Dark Team
went to Zoonami.

Zoonmai is doing stuff only for nintendo.
Microsoft only got the RARE name, not the Talent.

Yes, I am aware of that.  Even the Stamper Brothers are gone from Rare now.  Everything that made Rare great back in the day is gone now.

But there's just something about Rare that you have to love, and they still have some of that left.  I will be keeping an eye on Rare's projects, but I doubt if I will like them at all.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 12:31:11 PM »

I think GAME ZERO from ZOONAMI will be a shooter, even though it's been denied. Hopefully it'll be the Joanna Dark killer.

The Joanna Dark killer came and went with HALO. In fact, it was a pre-emptive killing by James Bond. Goldeneye > Perfect Dark.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 01:39:47 PM »

I believe Rare will have at least two Xbox titles finished before the end of the year, maybe even three.
They crossed consoles, they did not get 100 more employees.  Has there ever been a time (recently) that Rare has released mutliple games in one year.  They couldn't even get one out per year by the end of the N64's lifetime.  One game by this year, maybe...Two or three is definitely pushing it.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Chiphead

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2003, 11:52:55 AM »
The Stampers are gone?  First I've heard of it.  Oh well.  As long as Chris Seavor (the Conker guy), Robin Beanland (who did the music for Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, and Conker's Bad Fur Day), and David Wise (who did the music for the first two Donkey Kong Country games, Diddy Kong Racing, and StarFox Adventures) are still there, I'm still getting an Xbox.
Until next time, everybody, do the Mario!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2003, 01:32:30 PM »
"You'll be glad to hear that basically all of the GoldenEye and Perfect Dark Team
went to Zoonami."

LOL, yeah those TWO WHOLE people.

It's quite funny the Sh!T some of you make up :0.

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2003, 01:51:21 PM »
Hopefully when Xbox dies off soon, Rare will come back to Nintendo.  I know Nintendo were the ones that sold Rare off, but it might of been a mistake, it might not.  I've heard of Rare working on a Major online conker game, but it won't be the same without the whole team we had for the N64.  I know this is turing into a rant but I got a big opinon on this matter.  The Back to the Future theme in the background probably isn't helping either.    Anyways, Nintendo made a good decision on their part.  It's just a matter of time till we see what the Rare team can pull off at E3.  I'm not expecting much but we'll see.

-for the person that said that Rare never pulls off two games at once.  I thought rare brought Donkey Kong 64 and Jet force Gemini came out in the same year.  

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
I miss Rare.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2003, 02:36:17 PM »
Actually Rare released 12 games over a 6 year period of time (N64 life span) so that's 2 games per year.  

Though people tend to forget it's GBA ones :0.