Author Topic: What is the best game not made by Nintendo?  (Read 5545 times)

Offline TheGlueBubble

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What is the best game not made by Nintendo?
« on: April 09, 2003, 03:07:24 PM »
What non-Nintendo game is the best? Or if a non-Nintendo game is your favourite, what is it?

For me, Chrono Trigger is right up there with the Zelda games on my list. I played it on a ROM and ever since I have been hunting for a SNES copy. It had some of the best music ever and a great battle system. It (And Mario RPG) are the games that made me like RPGs. What about you guys?
GC games: Wind Waker, OOT/MQ, Ikaruga, Mario Sunshine, SSBM,  Resident Evil, Timesplitters 2, Animal Crossing

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 05:19:22 PM »
well personally i loved the next best thing to my favorite game of all time (which is super metroid)- symphony of the night
it combined the best parts of castlevania action, metroid exploration, and rpg leveling up and equipment
it was one of the best games ever in my opinion

chrono trigger was great too- one of my favorite rpgs of all time- i do own the snes copy and i play it often
i think the music in chrono passes that of most games today- and thats saying alot since it is an snes title

there are so many good games to name but i guess i will stick with symphony as one of my favorite non-nintendo games
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 09:55:15 PM »
Xenogears.  Until you have played this game, you have not lived.  It is by far the best RPG ever made.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 10:58:26 PM »
hmm....., thats a tough one.  Sonic Adventure was really fun on the DC, but that is coming to cube.  PSO was my favorite game evr made ever, online that is.  well thats about it, oh wait, Grandia II.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 11:02:06 AM »
" Xenogears. Until you have played this game, you have not lived. It is by far the best RPG ever made."

yeah xenogears was a very interesting title- i love that game- and i do think it is one of the best rpgs ever made
but not the best...i have a lot of favorites- but my top 5 rpgs not made by nintendo would be: (in no specific order)

final fantasy 6 (3 in america)
chrono trigger
valkyrie profile
xenogears
grandia 2

they are all great games and have great stories and gameplay (and not made by nintendo)

i call the big one bitey.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 12:22:59 PM »
Halo and GTA111, my 2 favorite games
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 05:16:08 PM »
Does Goldeneye count? If not, then Sonic the hedgehog 2.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 05:27:55 PM »
Final Fantasy 6 without a doubt. Just a phenominal game.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 07:36:52 PM »
Every final fantasy and all sonic games before they went 3-d.
it was time for a change.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 05:01:25 AM »
Yeah sonic died when he went 3D. I'd say Harvest Moon 64 is my favorite non nintendo made game.
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2003, 12:42:23 PM »

Originally posted by: rpglover
" Xenogears. Until you have played this game, you have not lived. It is by far the best RPG ever made."

yeah xenogears was a very interesting title- i love that game- and i do think it is one of the best rpgs ever made
but not the best...i have a lot of favorites- but my top 5 rpgs not made by nintendo would be: (in no specific order)

final fantasy 6 (3 in america)
chrono trigger
valkyrie profile
xenogears
grandia 2

they are all great games and have great stories and gameplay (and not made by nintendo)

I have played all the games you mentioned, except Grandia II, and I still maintain that Xenogears was the best RPG I have ever played.  The second disc wasn't so great, but the game itself was breathtaking.  But where exactly is Skies of Arcadia on that list?  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 03:29:08 AM »
isn't this a poll?  oh well...

mine has to be Shenmue II (DC)
i know this game isn't for everyone, but i loved it.  one word that would describe it would be "beautiful."  just beautiful.  no game has immersed me like Shenmue did.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 10:29:09 AM »
This is a tough question because when I think of my favourite games for the different Nintendo systems the top 3 or so are always Nintendo games.  They really are in a league of their own.  I guess I'd have to go with Street Fighter II (and it's various remixes).  I don't really play that game too often now but when it came out I played it more than anything else.  It's one of those games that got me hooked on videogames.

Typically my favourite third party games are often in genres that Nintendo themselves are weak in like fighting games and RPGs.  Anything like third party platform or adventure games barely get a second look from me because they often don't even come close to Mario or Zelda.

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2003, 09:24:46 AM »
UNIRACERS!
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2003, 02:06:29 PM »
Ergh, I haven't even paid attention to developers until recently.  I'll just name whatever games I can think of:

Mischief Makers: Awesome game for N64.  I don't know why I like it so much.
Gauntlet games: Fun if you have people to play with, but boring after you beat them.
Halo was very fun, but after playing it for a few hours it just became another FPS (a good one, but still just an FPS).
River City Ransom: This game is funny to play.
Little Nemo: Fond memories.
Some cool SNES game about two short fighter dudes travelling through place and fighting stuff.  I'd love to remember what this game was called.

I'm not a big RPG fan, and those seem to be the best non-Nintendo games.  Oh, and Sly Cooper is also an awesome game.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 08:05:45 AM »
OK, in my opinion Metal Gear Solid (PSX) is the single best game ever created, bar none. It had great visuals, a story that put Zelda's to shame and the most interesting gameplay mechanics ever. The entire game owned. Period.

Others of my favourite games:
Monkey Island 1 & 2
WarCraft II & III
Medal of Honor (1)
Day of the Tentacle
Final Fantasy VII
Baldur's Gate II
StarCraft

I don't really like Nintendo's games as much as others.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 08:20:34 AM »
The Megaman games. I'm not even try to decide which one i like best though.
If the graphics are bad, I'll ignore them.
If the style's been used before, I won't care. I don't get sick of styles.
If the story is weak, I'll make up my own.
I only care about gameplay.