Author Topic: Burnout 2 and Splinter Cell came out today... anyone get it?  (Read 12777 times)

Offline o0O MeaN O0o

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Burnout 2 and Splinter Cell came out today... anyone get it?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2003, 08:06:39 PM »
Got mine at GameStop (NE Philly). I spent the whole morning calling places and that's the only one who got the darn game. Well, actually 2 other stores told me that they didn't go through the UPS shipment yet and they thought that it was in there, which means y'all get tomorrow the latest.
Signature:
(max 255 characters)

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2003, 04:56:19 AM »

Originally posted by: o0O MeaN O0o
Got mine at GameStop (NE Philly). I spent the whole morning calling places and that's the only one who got the darn game. Well, actually 2 other stores told me that they didn't go through the UPS shipment yet and they thought that it was in there, which means y'all get tomorrow the latest.

Would that be the Game Stop at Cottman & Bustleton?

I live in the NE as well (Oxford Circle, for the time being). I work in Center City Philadelphia and I usually buy the new releases at the Game Stop in the Gallery. I stopped there on Wednesday to buy Burnout 2 and I was told that Acclaim shipped them out a day late so no stock would arrive until Thursday (yesterday). I picked it up yesterday at Game Champ (15th & Chestnut). I played it for a little bit last and it is more amazing than the first Burnout (especially the crashes), but I found that the courses seem a bit easier.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2003, 11:51:34 AM »
Finally got SC, EB didnt have any but Babbages did. Splinter Cell is pretty cool, but its a bit buggy, maybe its my copy.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2003, 01:39:11 PM »
No, it's not just your copy Perfect Cell. I've been following the the development of Splinter Cell GC on various other forums and IGN, and I have specifically held out because things did not look good for it. A lot promises were made about performance and how the game would be close to the Xbox version. But that claim was debunked when it became known the development team for the GC version was the one doing the PS2 version, not the Montreal team responsible for the Xbox and PC ones. I would have to rent the game to see for myself, but there are indications it was ported from the PS2. On top of that, it looks like a rushed port with the date being pushed back and various reports of choppy performance.

Now, for those who only have a Cube or who have not played SC before, don't let me dissuade you from picking up the game. You should experince the game if this is you only outlet, but just keep in mind that this port may not be all that it could have been. As for multi-console people, rent the game for your Cube and rent it for any other machine you have and compare for yourself. Despite the weakness of the port, many reviewers found that they liked the new cutscenes and slightly tweaked gameplay. However, that came at a loss of truncated levels and less bad guys. For those who mind those things, the this may not be for you.

For me right now, I a little disappointed. People bag on GameCube fans for not devouring 3rd parties like we do 1st parties, but I find it hard to support 3rd party efforts when they look like they were half assed.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2003, 01:57:20 PM »
Burnout 2 is still MIA in L.A.  Been waiting on this game for about a year now....
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Uncle Ubb

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2003, 03:57:43 PM »
I finally got my copy of Burnout 2.

I love it so far.  Haven't done much yet but it sparkles where the first didn't.

Only gripe is that getting a burnout is much, much easier than it used to be.  Not  a huge deal but something I was good at in the first game.  Now I can link 2 or even 3 burnouts in a row with little difficulty.

The crash mode is awesome.  You get to crash and then see the wreckage take place in a slow motion cutscene.

Haven't opened but one car.  The hot rod.  You do know that pieces of the car fly off after a wreck.  Incredible game.

Good luck finding your copy!

Uncle Ubb

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2003, 04:13:42 PM »
I rented it tonight and just played it for like an hour and a half. I never picked up Burnout 1 but I always wanted it... It's a really cool game and satisfies your need for speed much more than any other racer I've ever played. It's great you should defintly not miss this one.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline David G

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2003, 04:18:15 AM »
I bought Burnout 2 last nite and played it through all 21 zones in crash mode.   It's a lot better then the PS2 version.  The graphics are a litle better, but you dont notice them.  The gameplay is AWESOME.  

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2003, 08:56:48 AM »

On top of that, it looks like a rushed port with the date being pushed back and various reports of choppy performance.

I bought it this morning and have to say it kicks ass. I dont see any problems with it at all. The again I am not fussy on frame rates and so on, I play to have fun, a novel approah.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2003, 05:49:37 PM »
Anyone else's EB having shipment troubles? I checked in on Wednesday since the shipping day was Tuesday and they said they'd get it Thursday. I call in Thursday and they said try again tomorrow. So I call in FRIDAY and they STILL don't have it. To their credit, I didn't call today (I figure I'll just pop in on Tuesday and pick up it and Lost Ages), but whoever's shipping the game really needs to get their act together.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline NIN10D0

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2003, 11:15:01 PM »
Picked up a last copy at Funcoland, no other places had them.
The game is very fun, the control is very tight and responsive.
I just unlocked a police car and a pursuit mode.
I will say this would have been the best racing game if it had real licensed cars.
But that's just me, I like looking at real cars, although cars on Burnout 2 don't look bad at all, and I wouldn't mind having few more camera views while racing.
Maybe I'm a NFS fanboy... hehe but this game is definitely worth checking out if you like racing games.

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2003, 09:14:28 AM »
rented it last night and the multiplayer crash mode is lots of fun, but  besides that it gets boring pretty quick.  
Not as quick as burnout 1 though, that  I think I returned to blockbuster in under 2 hours. This  time I might keep it for the whole rental time. Or at least till Friday when they say they are getting splinter cell in.

So  what extras can you unlock in the main 1 player game ? I been playing crash mode mostly, loads of fun. Short but fun.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2003, 09:57:46 AM »
WindyMan should have a review up tonight or tomorrow.  The lucky punk!  I still haven't been able to find it.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2003, 02:18:38 PM »
Finally got word from my guy at EB.  They got Burnout 2 today - four lousy copies of it.  I'm seriously taken back by the way a major title like this can ship with such little support.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2003, 02:38:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Finally got word from my guy at EB.  They got Burnout 2 today - four lousy copies of it.  I'm seriously taken back by the way a major title like this can ship with such little support.

What the F^*K?!! Are you serious? That really pisses me off. Things for Nintendo could be worse than they seem.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2003, 02:39:46 PM »
Sigh, this the kind of crap I'm talking about. 3rd parties need to get off of their asses. I mean whats Acclaims excuse? Burnout on GC out sold Burnout on X-Box. Ship some damn copies people jeez. They actually took the time to make a great port, enchanced graphics, added features, etc. Ship out enough copies so we can actually buy and enjoy your work. Plus when we buy the game you'll make money its a win/win situation for all of us. Sorry guys I'm really pissed at third parties right now. I'm gonna go play Golden Sun 2 and chill. BTW I'm still waiting on my on-line orders for Splinter Cell and Burnout 2. Its seems they still haven't gotten their Burnout 2 shipment.....

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2003, 04:11:15 PM »
I got Burnout 2 and it's a really solid game.  Definitely worth the purchase.

I had Spinter Cell on Xbox, didn't like it.  Too much artificial difficulty.

I definitely hear you guys about the third party crap.  I believe I've posted some fairly lengthy rants about this in fact.

Offline bubba23

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2003, 09:34:14 PM »
Got Burnout 2 at the EB in St. Catharines, Ontario, last copy after being on the shelf on the shelf for a couple days. I think I must agree with you guys that this game was undershipped. Come on Acclaim, have faith in us GC owners! I'm quite pleased with the game. Nice looking tracks, smooth framerate, an exciting and fun crash mode, and zooming fast gameplay. It'd be nice if it had liscenced cars and random weather but that's something we can hope to have in Burnout 3.
Bubba 23

Atari 2600  - NES  - GB - Genesis - SNES - N64 - Dreamcast - PS2 - GBA SP - GC (with GBP)  - XBox - PC

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2003, 05:16:55 AM »
Despite my major reservations, I did go on a get the GC verison of SC if only to send to the message that GC owners do want 3rd party. By the way, besides Burnout 2 being hard to find, did anyone have to tear up the streets for SC as well. I must've spent half a day locating a copy of it.

The games is quite playable and probably does succeeded the PS2 version in most respects, but I would've love to have the original levels in there instead of the truncated ones. I don't know the economics of it all, but is it really hard in these days to make games multi-disc. I don't see any reason that they had to squeeze all they could on to disc. I didn't hear too many complaints during the PS era when we were getting games with up to 6 discs in a pack, so what's the deal now?

I'm hoping these will sale good enough to actually encourage more good faith efforts on the GC, but the way things sound right now, Acclaim and Ubi Soft don't have much faith in making money off of these ports. I don't think thats a good attitude considering I saw a lot people looking for these games during the weekend. The audience is out there, it's just that 3rd parties can't expect to shovel poor games or ports onto the GC audience and  then expect them to eat it up like candy. We'll wait for good games.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2003, 07:26:05 AM »
I'm pondering doing an editorial concerning this subject.  If you have worked in the retail end, send me an e-mail and give me as much information as you can regarding how you get shipments, how the number of copies of a game are decided, horror stories, etc.  

If I go through with it, I'll probably see if we can send it to a few companies as well.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2003, 08:41:38 AM »
Burnout 2 review.....

Most of what was said in the new review is pretty on the ball except for a couple things  and  a few things left out.

1st  lets discuss the burnouts,  why oh  why do the other cars get to use your burnouts?  every time you use them they pick up the exact speed as you do. Seems very unfair and  would have been rather cool if you used your own and if they used their own as well.

2nd, the green arrows and red x's blocking   roads, why oh  why did they not just design the tracks so that there are multiple ways to finish the lap or maybe if they  needed arrows make signs  that you could go through  smashing them up ending up going the wrong way  which would make you loose or find a new shortcut. This was something that could easily been done without.

3rd the most annoying thing on this game is the damn screens between the races. I have never  ever seen so many damn  useless  screens that you have to push  your way through to get to the next track. It's absolutely ridiculous how many time you have to push the A button to get to the next level.

Over all these are pretty minor complaints except for the burnout itself being shared. I find myself  driving without using it more just to keep the other cars from steeling my burnouts. Lol

as far as it looking just like southern California on those levels, that's   not true either. I drive that route into long beach often and although you can tell it is based off of   the area it   is not a copy at all.

It resembles more of ocean st. and downtown long beach then P.C.H.  Just so ya know.

the crash  game is still the best.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2003, 11:19:18 AM »

Originally posted by: egman
Despite my major reservations, I did go on a get the GC verison of SC if only to send to the message that GC owners do want 3rd party. By the way, besides Burnout 2 being hard to find, did anyone have to tear up the streets for SC as well. I must've spent half a day locating a copy of it.

The games is quite playable and probably does succeeded the PS2 version in most respects, but I would've love to have the original levels in there instead of the truncated ones. I don't know the economics of it all, but is it really hard in these days to make games multi-disc. I don't see any reason that they had to squeeze all they could on to disc. I didn't hear too many complaints during the PS era when we were getting games with up to 6 discs in a pack, so what's the deal now?

I'm hoping these will sale good enough to actually encourage more good faith efforts on the GC, but the way things sound right now, Acclaim and Ubi Soft don't have much faith in making money off of these ports. I don't think thats a good attitude considering I saw a lot people looking for these games during the weekend. The audience is out there, it's just that 3rd parties can't expect to shovel poor games or ports onto the GC audience and  then expect them to eat it up like candy. We'll wait for good games.

I was having difficulty finding both games Egman, thats why I just ordered them on-line. I saved like $5 but I did it because I just got tired of running all over the place looking for the games. Of course if I would have known it would have taken this long I would have just beat the streets looking for copies....oh well.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline NickNiteQ93

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2003, 02:09:19 PM »
I know the feeling of having too many games that I want and can't buy them.  DEMMIT.  I wasn't even really into getting another game for quite some time once I got Wind Waker, but I beat it ALOT faster than I thought I would, so I'm looking for a new experience.  I bought Splinter Cell today because I love spy type stuff, and I tried to get Red Faction 2, but they didn't have it.  Pooy.  But I would like to buy Burnout 2 because I really dug the first one, and Hot Pursuit 2 just didn't ease my racing cravings.  And I HIGHLY recommend Time Splitters 2 to anyone who loves FPSs because the story mode is OK, but as far as multiplayer goes, let's just say it's the Perfect Dark killer as far as I'm concernd.  If you can get 4 people and a big TV to play it on, you'll never play another game for a long, long, long time.
I think, therefore I wish.  I wish, therefore I'll never get.          

Life is long and hard, so rock out with your cock out.

Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2003, 02:41:39 PM »
My stripmall EBGames still hasn't gotten Burnout 2, but fortunately the mall EB got them in yesterday...3 of them.  Ironically, my EBGames' manager got stuck in traffic transporting the last copy from the mall to his store to fulfill my preorder.  Definately well worth the wait.  I haven't has this much of a thrill driving since 6-player Daytona last week at Disney.  I just wish there was either in-car and/or higher-outside views; the included ones feel a bit too low.

Offline razorpit

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2003, 10:33:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

My EB got 1, and I was lucky enough to get it.
MK
Razor

AC
Code: 4896-9148-8292
Name: Oscar
Town: Burgh