Author Topic: Yu Suzuki no longer with SEGA and SEGA will never consider making consoles again  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
  Full interview here

What do you think is the importance of names in the industry right now? Sega had a lot of its name developers in Japan go away. Right now, there's Toshihiro Nagoshi, and not a whole lot else, though you do have the Platinum guys to rely on right now. But is it important right now, or is it not? It seems to be for some companies.

SJ: I think it is still important. We're still working with [Yuji] Naka. The Prope relationship exists. They're building content. Nothing's been released yet, but we still work with them. The Platinum relationship is definitely part of it. We want to work with big-name people.

But part of that is not just because they're a name. It's because we know they're going to build great games, and that's the most important part. [Ed. note: Prope is ex-Sonic Team head Yuji Naka's independent Tokyo studio. No titles have been announced since its formation in 2006.]

Can you give any more details on the Prope thing? Does he have an actual studio now?

SJ: There's not much being talked about right now or announced on that yet, so we probably can't say anything, other than we're working with Naka-san still.

Speaking of names, what has happened to Yu Suzuki?

SJ: Last I heard, he was doing some online stuff in China.

He's spearheaded an arcade racing title. Is he just really off in his own world?

SJ: Yeah. He's kind of his own man right now. Every now and again, he'll come up with an idea, and I don't think anything has come out of that yet, but we're still working with him. He's not an employee anymore, but...

I wasn't sure if he was still actually a Sega employee.

SJ: Not as far as I know.

Here's a ridiculous question that of course I must ask. Would Sega ever return to the console market?

SJ: No. A categorical no.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:02:00 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
lololololololo shenmooo is DED
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Considering all he is known for is Virtua Blighter and Shenboob, I don't think anyone really cares... :cool;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Considering all he is known for is Virtua Blighter and Shenboob, I don't think anyone really cares...

What about...

Space Harrier
Out Run
Virtua Racing
Virtua Cop
After Burner

Years from now let's say Miyamoto has left the spotlight.  Would you want people to say "WHO CARES?  All he's known for is Nintendogs and Wii Music. lol"?

I figured Suzuki had stopped working for Sega a while ago.  And I question how any sane person would think Sega will ever make another console.  Sega doesn't even really exist anymore.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
I was trying to bait fans of the series I mentioned, but you ruined it...Thanks a lot, Ian! >=|
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
I'll never get to see Shenmue III now!!!

To be fair, I probably wouldn't have seen it anyway, as it most likely would have come out on the 360. I had to import the PAL version of Shenmue II for my Dreamcast when it was released. Definitely one of the best consoles ever made.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
If you read the interview it says that while he's not technically a Sega employee he still does stuff with Sega, so more Shenmue is still possible. At least I hope that's what it means.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
And I question how any sane person would think Sega will ever make another console.  Sega doesn't even really exist anymore.

A lot of sega fanatics were hoping for a console on 09/09/09

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Sega Dream Gear super portable.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
Sega Dream Gear super portable.

Sega DreampachinkoCast

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Considering all he is known for is Virtua Blighter and Shenboob, I don't think anyone really cares...

What about...

Space Harrier
Out Run
Virtua Racing
Virtua Cop
After Burner

Years from now let's say Miyamoto has left the spotlight.  Would you want people to say "WHO CARES?  All he's known for is Nintendogs and Wii Music. lol"?

I figured Suzuki had stopped working for Sega a while ago.  And I question how any sane person would think Sega will ever make another console.  Sega doesn't even really exist anymore.

In my honest opinion, I didn't know who Yu Suzuki was till Shenmue was released.

Shenmue was perhaps his biggest opus, the one game that would shine in his arcade titles record. The problem was that it was TOO ambitious.

If I were to work in a videogame company and pitch an epic I would keep it at just one title. Develop the story in its first chapter. If the game is a success, then the story can continue in the sequel.

Planning trilogies in this day and age is a major gamble. And you have games like Shenmue who will never be finished.

I still wanted to know more about sailors... :(
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
If anyone wants to know why Yu Suzuki isn't with Sega anymore, it's because the company pretty much Gunpei Yokoi'd him.  Even though Suzuki was such an important figure at Sega, the Shenmue games lost Sega a lot of money.  And because of this, he was send to an office where he wouldn't be involved with making anything major again.  Just like Yokoi was send to an office after the Virtual Boy failed.

That's pretty much how Japanese companies punish major employees.  Instead of firing them, they just put them in a room where they can't do anything, until the employee eventually quites.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

What about...

Space Harrier
Out Run
Virtua Racing
Virtua Cop
After Burner

In my honest opinion, I didn't know who Yu Suzuki was till Shenmue was released.

Shenmue was perhaps his biggest opus, the one game that would shine in his arcade titles record. The problem was that it was TOO ambitious.

If I were to work in a videogame company and pitch an epic I would keep it at just one title. Develop the story in its first chapter. If the game is a success, then the story can continue in the sequel.

Planning trilogies in this day and age is a major gamble. And you have games like Shenmue who will never be finished.

You are right about planning games or even movies as trilogies is a huge gamble. Not only that but if it is not continued it does the fans a great disservice who support the game or movie. Shenmue was a great series IMO but I will never see the completion of the story which makes me feel as if something was stolen from me. It makes me wish that most games were self contained with maybe only a hint of a possible sequel while not being forthright about it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
And I question how any sane person would think Sega will ever make another console.  Sega doesn't even really exist anymore.

Why??
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
If anyone wants to know why Yu Suzuki isn't with Sega anymore, it's because the company pretty much Gunpei Yokoi'd him.  Even though Suzuki was such an important figure at Sega, the Shenmue games lost Sega a lot of money.  And because of this, he was send to an office where he wouldn't be involved with making anything major again.  Just like Yokoi was send to an office after the Virtual Boy failed.

That's pretty much how Japanese companies punish major employees.  Instead of firing them, they just put them in a room where they can't do anything, until the employee eventually quites.

Don't western companies do the same thing when an employee has a contract that makes firing difficult or expensive?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile

Why??

10th anniversary of the dreamcast?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile

Personally, I'm hoping for a Nine Inch Nails album that doesn't suck.  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video

Don't western companies do the same thing when an employee has a contract that makes firing difficult or expensive?

I BELIEVE YOU HAVE MY STAPLER

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile

Personally, I'm hoping for a Nine Inch Nails album that doesn't suck.  ;)

What NIN album has sucked? I think we can all agree that With Teeth was a little tamer than expected, but that's about as bad as it has gotten. Year Zero was absolutely great and The Slip was certainly good enough.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Why??

10th anniversary of the dreamcast?

Lame reasoning.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
What NIN album has sucked? I think we can all agree that With Teeth was a little tamer than expected, but that's about as bad as it has gotten. Year Zero was absolutely great and The Slip was certainly good enough.

Perhaps suck wasn't the right word.  How about disappointing? Nothing Trent's done in the past decade have been as good as The Downward Spiral or The Fragile.  It's kind of funny how Trent's best work since 2000 has been on Niggy Tardust.

I agree that Year Zero is a step up from With Teeth.  And, while I enjoy The Slip, it's certainly uneven; plus short--only seven "real" songs, and one is so quiet you can't even hear it unless you're surrounded by total silence.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Perhaps suck wasn't the right word.

Nope pretty sure suck was the right word.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

What about...

Space Harrier
Out Run
Virtua Racing
Virtua Cop
After Burner

You are right about planning games or even movies as trilogies is a huge gamble. Not only that but if it is not continued it does the fans a great disservice who support the game or movie. Shenmue was a great series IMO but I will never see the completion of the story which makes me feel as if something was stolen from me. It makes me wish that most games were self contained with maybe only a hint of a possible sequel while not being forthright about it.

Not only that, if the first episode bombs then the whole series is dead.

That's why I have little faith regarding the "Too Human"  trilogy. The first episode alone has been in development for YEARS. If the first game bombs they it will have been a waste of time and money.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
A new Wii Beach Spikers would be greatly appreciated, and be more profitable then the first two Shenmoogle games combined.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

Not only that, if the first episode bombs then the whole series is dead.

That's why I have little faith regarding the "Too Human"  trilogy. The first episode alone has been in development for YEARS. If the first game bombs they it will have been a waste of time and money.

That is pretty much the reason why Nintendo dropped Silicon Knights years ago.  They saw that Too Human was just a giant money pit and said screw that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai