Author Topic: 2008, PS2's last year of... PS2?  (Read 12988 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
2008, PS2's last year of... PS2?
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »
As much as Sony dribble on about not giving up on the system, it's pretty clear they already did like two years ago. But that doesn't really matter!

Shining Dragon
US: 29th of this month
PAL: LOL

Localized perverted beat 'em up, play as a number of school girls who beat the crap out of other students around the school grounds. Your uniform shreds apart for lol. Graphics look like something out of a public toilet but for $15, hey!

Yakuza 2
US: Next month
PAL: Also next month!

If you didn't play the first Yazuka you should... play... the first Yakuza. >=( Same thing, adventure-ish beat 'em up with a story that doesn't suck. Yakuza 2 will also leave the original Japanese voice acting in and only feature subs. Which is awesome, because the dub in the first game was SO HORRIBLE.

SEGA Ages: Fantasy Zone Complete Collection
Japan: 11th of September
US: LOL
PAL: LOL

The next in SEGA's amazing AGES line-up that for some reason never see the light of day outside Japan. Includes! Fantasy Zone (Arcade and SMS versions), Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (Arcade and SMS), Fantasy Zone Gear (Game Gear), Super Fantasy Zone (Mega Drive), Fantasy Zone: The Maze (SMS), Galactic Protector (SMS) and rumours of a beta of the unreleased Fantasy Zone/Space Harrier cross-over thing-a-jig. Oh, plus a remake of Fantasy Zone II using fancy high resolution sprites just for this collection.

Thunder Force VI
Japan: 30th of October
PAL: LOL!

The Genesis series is back! Looks incredible in motion, though the music seems like a bit of a downer. Tries too hard to be cheese. SEGA's publishing and have teased at the promise of reviving more dead shoot 'em up IP's if this does well. Which it probably won't.

Persona 4
US: December
PAL: LOL!!

Persona 3 surprised me, because it was an RPG I didn't hate. Persona 4 seems to play exactly the same, but they've swapped the busy busy city with a smaller town rural what'cha'macall it setting.

King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match
US: December? Some sites say December, others have it as 2009. Mystery. December 2009? Oh my.
PAL: LOOOOOOOOL

IT'S KING OF FIGHTERS '98 WITH NEW STUFF. Including new sprites! No doubt they'll remove the online option for the US release.

IGN sure do take horrific screens, but they save a fair bit of time!

Samurai Shodown Anthology
US: October:
PAL: LOLSMCKENZIE

Seven Samurai Shodown games. On one disc! Blu-Ray owned.

Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli
US: Dunno, just have Q4 2008 listed everywhere
PAL: This month

PS3 version's already out, but PS2 and Wii are coming. It looks solid and the developers have kept all the features from the PS3 game. Seems like it'll be a pretty great racer!

Pipe Mania
US: Just came out
PAL: Next month

Do you remember the old Pipe Dream game? No? That's okay, nobody does. But it's been dug up and rebranded as Pipe Mania. The graphics are ****, but it looks to be a pretty good puzzle game. Only $15 US. :]

Wipeout Pulse
PAL: September

I'm not a fan of the series myself (though I loved the very first one on Saturn) but a lot of people are, and this got great reviews on PSP. Only PS2 screens I can find are tiny things trapped in flash, so here's a PSP screen.

Dokapon Kingdom
US: October
PAL: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL

Also due to hit Wii, but the PS2 version looks and plays exactly the same plus it's $20 cheaper. RPG/board game combination fried rice. What? Damn right.

Budget re-releases!
Okami, Maximo 2, Odin Sphere and Disgaea are all hitting the Greatest Hits line in September. Not because they sold well, but Sony's just desperate to give the illusion PS2 still matters.

WILL UPDATE WHEN MORE GAMES GET ANNOUNCED BECAUSE AT THE MOMENT IT'S LIKE PUBLISHERS JUST CHUCK STUFF ONTO RETAIL SHELVES WITH NO WARNING.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:19:18 AM by Infernal Monkey »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: 2008, PS2's last year of... PS2?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:01:42 AM »
Shining Dragon looks like the stuff that gets a PAL release only, are you sure it hasn't come out under some other name already? like Battle Raper :P

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »
Haha yeah, I thought for sure 505 Games or whatever would be all over it, but nup!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »
I'm not interested in last-gen graphics.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »
I'm not interested in last-gen graphics.

Please get off of the Nintendo forums then!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »
Yakuza 2 I want.
Persona 4 I want.
Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli Probably will get for PS3.
Budget re-releases: Maximo 2 I definitely want it, but where's the re-release of the first Maximo game?

Also, Konami should re-release Z.O.E. 2.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:02:27 PM »
If you don't have Odin Sphere buy it.  Don't make e dig up that thread again.  It is an excellent game and shows how a game with interconnected stories should be done.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:25:22 AM »
Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli Probably will get for PS3.
PS3 version is 30 FPS while Wii is 60 FPS, if that bugs you. Don't know about the PS2 one but it looks so great there that i'd be happy if Wii got a straight port even, with WiFi and wheel controls. The downloadable content for the PS3 version does look VERY TASTY though (Monaco night race!), I hope Wii will include that somehow. I will make a thread for the game when it comes out and assuming it's glitch free i'll get the Wii / PS2 version day 1.

Yakuza 2 looks good, i'm tempted to check out 1 now, i've never really known what it was about.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:05:18 AM »
If you don't have Odin Sphere buy it.  Don't make e dig up that thread again.  It is an excellent game and shows how a game with interconnected stories should be done.

It's overrated IMO, the combat isn't that interesting and the story isn't really woven into the gameplay, you pretty much get an intro and outro for every level and fight stuff for a long time in between, playing for the story isn't a very good idea. Also it's possible to make a level nearly unwinnable by having one of those summoned slimes be the last surviving enemy (they can only be hurt by deflecting other enemies' shots at them, otherwise they take only 1 damage out of a few hundred HP).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »
Persona 4 could be a potential buy, but I'm already getting two major RPGs in the next few months, and I really don't even have the time for THOSE... =(
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~