Author Topic: I'm making a film  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I'm making a film
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
If you look at the link in my signature you'll see that I've been involved in some amateur filmmaking.  A lot of that stuff is actually the work of my brothers (who were too lazy to make their own YouTube account) but I was heavily involved in the Fatal Bullet series.  I'm quite proud of the Fatal Bullet movies but they're short films and I've always wanted to make something full length.  They also have improvised dialog and are R-rated and I wanted to challenge myself to completely write a full length script line-for-line and make something clean that wouldn't have to be censored on TV.

Well it's taken over a year but I've finally finished my script and plan on filming in late July and August.  It's called Looking for Bigfoot.  It's a comedy about a group of guys filming a Bigfoot documentary.  So the film is a mockumentary like Spinal Tap.  The documentary theme allows me to film it on a very low budget.  Think Blair Witch Project style applied to a comedy.  In fact I come up with the concept entirely because it was realistic for my budget of virtually nothing.  I'm just making it for fun with my friends and figure if my some miracle it ever made any money I would split it with those that helped me, based on percentages agreed upon beforehand.

The lead roles are cast but I haven't finalized some of the smaller roles so I figured I'd invite anyone here to have a part if they want to.  If anyone is interested and lives in the Lower Mainland of BC or will be in that area this August send me a PM.

Personally I'm just excited that I'm finally getting to do this. :)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: I'm making a film
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »
You know what ****s me off about this? Ian is ******** over his core audience and rehashing **** Remember the Super Nintendo? Ian didn't ***** around a **** us back then. Nowadays they are ignoring the hard core and true loyal fans. I mean Ian. Wait, what was I talking about? ***** Ian, make a Fatal Bullet 2, except different. but not too ******** different. an evolution. More buttons on the controller too. Nintendo these days, with their ********* music, Only the old stuff is any good. ******.

I will watch this film

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:10:22 PM »
I hope you the very best. I was making a not so big budget but full length movie myself until we had problems with the script. As soon as I get that straightened out I do hope to go back and finish that project cuz film making is so much more fun than making music. Also I watched your Fatal Bullet movies, good for a laugh for sure.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »
If you look at the link in my signature you'll see that I've been involved in some amateur filmmaking.

Wow; I always assumed that the link was directed towards a web page showing off your DVD collection.  You really should label that better.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 06:54:52 PM »
The concept sounds interesting, and your post reminded me that I have Spinal Tap around here and I've been meaning to watch it, and you managed to not bitch about Nintendo. Excellent post.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:26:20 AM »
For some reason i thought of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and the whole "show within a show" concept.

Which i like ;)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
hint, buy a good camera...and even if it is low budget...get someone to do lighting...all you need is a torch lamp, or one of those car-work light bulb thingies. Sometime or other i'll upload my shot film. Its entirely in german though...bad german.

I'm going to go camping this weekend, and i'm going to take notes for a horror movie i'm going to make. I think i can make a good one. I just need to have at least a dv cam. The cast will be my best friends, and i'll try to hook up with a distributer of low budget horror/scifi films like assylum. Mine will actually be good though. Either it will actually be scary, or i'll totally make it spoof. I saw the strangers, andm ovies really can be nice and scary still. I had been waiting a long time to see a real scary movie. I'm going to go for a Dario Argento/Hitchcock sort of feel.

also, i'm writing a comedy. Its entirely based on true stories of me and my friends like the time the girl shat in my car, or any time we've gotten drunk or high. They're all hillarious. i just have to move them into script form, which takes will power.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:49:17 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 06:12:08 PM »
hint, buy a good camera...and even if it is low budget...get someone to do lighting...all you need is a torch lamp, or one of those car-work light bulb thingies.

It's a MiniDV cam.  Do you figure that's good enough?  Most of the films on my YouTube account were done on crappy cameras but the Fatal Bullet films were done on the one I'm going to use.  I think it looks pretty decent but I appreciate advice.  I am taking lighting into account as well, though most of the film takes place outdoors.  I still need to do some tests for night scenes, see if I can get a blue light effect going.

also, i'm writing a comedy. Its entirely based on true stories of me and my friends like the time the girl shat in my car, or any time we've gotten drunk or high. They're all hillarious. i just have to move them into script form, which takes will power.

I've had a similar idea as well.  The challenge is taking the best moments and trying to create some sort of plot that fits them all in.  My brother wants to write a film about his time in boot camp.  He plans on it being 100% non-fiction because enough funny stuff happened for real that made-up gags won't be needed.  That does give him an easy plot to frame the gags around.

Years ago I thought of an idea to make a hoax alien encounter film.  I could probably expand the idea into a horror movie.  My brother wants to make a horror/action film and even wants to start a film distribution company specifically for that and Looking for Bigfoot.  His idea is very ambitious so I question how feasible it will be for a DIY project.  But it's a cool idea.  Bigfoot is this summer's project and he wants his film, "Rosedale", to be next summer's.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
If you look at the link in my signature you'll see that I've been involved in some amateur filmmaking.

My first thought:

Bow-chika-whao-wooooow ;)

my second thought:

gross :(

A lot of that stuff is actually the work of my brothers
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »
Ian, I can't help, In Tennessee with Baby, but, I'll get a copy simply because you made it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:38:27 PM »
Ian?  A comedian?  For some reason those two seem to clash in my mind...

But I love the concept, so I wish you luck and will definitely look forward to giving it a watch... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »
Ian?  A comedian?  For some reason those two seem to clash in my mind...

But I love the concept, so I wish you luck and will definitely look forward to giving it a watch... =)

hmm i hadnt thought of that. i guess you cant spell comedian w/o ian

I've been meaning to watch your Fatal Bullet thing for a long time now... i should really get on that huh?
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
I only watched the first one all the way through, I sorta skimmed the others.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 01:42:58 PM »
dv is a goo format, did you know 28 days later was filmed on entirely DV? When ifirst saw it in theaters i thought it lookd great,though I know that he blueray version doesn't feature full resolution because of it. I need to gt a jobto pay off my student loan, and then i want to buy an hd cam.

according to Eli Roth, when I ws watching the commenary of the party scenes for Hostel 2, night lighting is painfully difficult to do. So keep that into account, but then again his night lighting looked really good in that scene.I think for my camping movie, i'll use a blue lightbulb for surreality. I justwathed suspiria and it was really inspiring.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »

hmm i hadnt thought of that. i guess you cant spell comedian w/o ian

You also can't spell funeral without fun...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »
they are! havent you ever seen Death At A Funeral[url]?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
You also can't spell manslaughter without laughter.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 05:09:05 PM »
English is funny that way, isnt it?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »
I WILL BE IN LOWER MAILAND BC THIS AUGUST! I FLY OUT ON THE 3RD
I will have 0.3% of all revenue.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:59:46 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:05 PM »
Sounds really cool, Ian. Wish I could help. But unless you decide to film in Nebraska, I'll have to just say, "Good luck!" and "Post a link when you're done." :)
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)