Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 39065 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2011, 02:27:38 AM »
I liked how Resistance Fall of Man handled health. You had a health bar split into four sections, your heath regenerated, but if it went below one of the sections, you lost that section and had to find a health pack to get it back. So you always had 25% of your health that could regenerate.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2011, 02:44:50 AM »
Never heard of Unreal Tournament or Quake III Arena, aye? Weapon balance was figured out years before Halo. You still can't find a finer example of deathmatch than Quake III Arena to this day.

If you only want to play online because they were both mutliplayer/bot only games.  I was extremely disappointed in Tournament and barely played Arena since I always saw them as half games.  I seem to remember the rocket launcher basically dominating most of the time though (maybe it was because my friend always played rocket arena) and I think the starting weapons were both pretty pathetic compared to anything else.

Also there was weapon balance in single player Halo as well while these games lacked a real single player campaign entirely.

Take a look at Quake, Quake 2, Doom, etc. All offered their full singleplayer campaign as co-op, starting all the way back in 1993. Admitedly, this wasn't done in a split-screen fashion... but really, who wants to play any game in split-screen?

Everyone does, look at the Wii's biggest successes today which happen to be some of the biggest successes ever. Broadband around the time of the those games wasn't exactly readily available either and online was the only coop.  Remember Halo 1 had no online outside of gamespy tunnel.

Halo was also designed around coop.  The most used vehicle in the game needed a second person to be effective and having a partner meant more than just two people charging into a room shooting.  Desiging a game with a concept in mind is very different then throwing a second person in Doom.  Vehicles, while a few games had them before Halo was released, were still a new thing for FPS games.  When Halo was first shown the vehicles blew people away and even though other devs released earlier they were still fresh.

Halo combined all those different things into a single package, as well as other parts that you don't like but remain popular.

I have no problem with regenerating health either Broodwars.  They allow for much bigger battles and don't punish you too much for making a small mistake.  I remember when I played Half Life I was low on health one time and I basically had to quick save after every guy I killed because the next guy would kill me in one hit.  In regenerating health battles they can always go all out on you because they can always assume you have 100% health which makes a lot of the fights more dangerous than they usually would be.  I wish every game didn't use it but I enjoy it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:47:10 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »
I like to play FPS split screen. If the other player is stuck, or I am stuck, its easier to work out since we get to see what the other is doing.

It also added to the mayhem of Goldeneye. Knowing that the other person is looking, and at the same time looking at their box, the tactics change when trying to outsmart and out gun your opponent.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
Vehicles, while a few games had them before Halo was released, were still a new thing for FPS games.

Hardly new. Tribes did it earlier and better. Sadly, that franchise has never really gained any level of mass appeal. It's just too "confusing" for casual players.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »
I must be one of the few FPS fans here that really doesn't have a problem with regenerating health...
If I remember rightly, you prefer single player games. In that context, I don't mind the regenerating health all that much for the reasons you listed. Multiplayer, however, is a different story, it causes a lot of problems there. Among them, it makes it harder for new players to get into the game when they can never get a kill, as the regenerating health means that they aren't able to weaken their opponents since it just gets negated after five seconds. It also promotes cowardice.

The simple solution here is to just offer some options for all these gameplay conventions. Apparently, that's something which is incredibly difficult to do, seeing how little games have them.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
I must be one of the few FPS fans here that really doesn't have a problem with regenerating health...
If I remember rightly, you prefer single player games. In that context, I don't mind the regenerating health all that much for the reasons you listed. Multiplayer, however, is a different story, it causes a lot of problems there. Among them, it makes it harder for new players to get into the game when they can never get a kill, as the regenerating health means that they aren't able to weaken their opponents since it just gets negated after five seconds. It also promotes cowardice.

Alright, for multiplayer that's certainly a fair point.  Getting sniped within seconds of starting a match is one of my big problems with online FPS multiplayer that keeps me from ever wanting to play it.  Killstreaks are another, which just make the players that are already good at the game even better at killing the other players.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:15:03 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
Getting sniped within seconds of starting a match is one of my big problems with online FPS multiplayer that keeps me from ever wanting to play it.

Any decent multiplayer game should offer the option to enable some sort of server side spawn protection.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
Duke Nukem charted at #2 on the June NPDs. Can't wait for the sequel.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
Duke Nukem: Vendetta

Roman Numerals were the only way I could think of working the sequential number into the actual title, as in 3D and 4ever.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »
Duke Nukem: Vendetta

Roman Numerals were the only way I could think of working the sequential number into the actual title, as in 3D and 4ever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was struggling with that.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
Given Duke Nukem's seeming love for debauchery, I'd think Duke Nukem Violation or Duke Nukem: Violator would be a more appropriate title.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:38:20 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »
Duke Nukem Vs.  They can do the multiplayer-only thing a decade late, too.  And make the 's' in vs. really small to troll the fan base.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2011, 02:37:05 AM »
I downloaded the patch today, it added four weapon carry, field of view adjustment, and the game runs much better. There's no better time to buy Duke Nukem for the PC! ;)