Author Topic: New "Pillars" for Square-Enix  (Read 3485 times)

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
New "Pillars" for Square-Enix
« on: April 02, 2003, 03:21:09 PM »
Square-Enix recently announced that Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest would become "pillars" of their company.  I already considered Final Fantasy a staple for Square and Dragon Quest a major part of Enix; however, I think the Kingdom Hearts idea is bad.  There are already too many RPG licenses being dragged out, and how could they change Kingdom Hearts that much?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 05:23:42 PM »
Personally I think that's a bad idea as well.  I would much rather see Star Ocean become one of their "pillars" instead.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 05:30:45 PM »
well i agree that star ocean would make a good pillar
but the reason they went with kingdom hearts is for money
the biggest profit all both square and enix see from their rpgs are dragon warrior, ff, and now kingdom hearts
personally i would just like to see tri-ace as the square-enix pillar
i dont know how many of you played their games, but they are awesome
the most famous is star ocean series with, one of my personal favorites, valkyrie profile
hopefully square-enix doesnt just revolve around those franchises and spreads out
i have heard that they should debut lots of games at e3 so i guess we shall wait untill then
i call the big one bitey.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 05:42:07 PM »
While I agree that Kingdom Hearts doesn't make much of a pillar, I wouldn't take this too seriously.  The "series" hasn't even seen two games, if players get tired of it, SquarEniX will no doubt change its tune.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 06:08:15 PM »
rpglover, I have played Tri-Ace games.  I do know how great they are.    Valkyrie Profile, in spite of its many flaws, remains one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline baberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 06:51:31 PM »
Well, it certainly makes sense from a business perspective.  Final Fantasy has the mainstream, "ooh, ahh" appeal with their pretty graphics and engaging storyline.  Dragon Quest has the hardcore "I must find every one of 2,000 TinyMedals on this world in 2 time periods" crowd, with basic gameplay and an excellent story.  So they need to round out their genres with an action RPG, and Kingdom Hearts is a decent game for what it was.

As for where to take the franchise, why not do Loony Tunes characters?  Or a game based on Roger Rabbit (yes, there's already been one on the NES, but that doesn't count).  Or a straight-out sequel (similar to FFX-2) for more of the same, but with better graphics/controls/camera/gameplay/etc?

Making Kingdom Hearts a staple is a good business decision, at the very least.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 11:00:23 AM »
" rpglover, I have played Tri-Ace games. I do know how great they are.  Valkyrie Profile, in spite of its many flaws, remains one of my favorite RPGs of all time. "

excellent- not too many people i know liked valkyrie as i did- the story was basically nonexistant unless you went for the best ending
but i loved how each character had a back story to their deaths- it was a unique plot to say the least
the thing about tri-ace is that they know how to make good rpgs
they have decent stories, good graphics, but most of all- excellent gameplay and battle systems
i would hope they make another game based on valkyrie's battle system but we shall see
i have heard good things on the new star ocean though- i cant wait to get it

" Making Kingdom Hearts a staple is a good business decision, at the very least"

very true- i think kingdom hearts sold over a million in japan, a million here at least, and i think a couple hundred thousand in europe
so making it a pillar is a good business perspective, but i still think that tri-ace games would be better- or even chrono games.....
hopefully square-enix doesnt just focus on those games and still makes great other games such as chrono or valkyrie profile
i call the big one bitey.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 11:47:53 AM »

As for where to take the franchise, why not do Loony Tunes characters? Or a game based on Roger Rabbit (yes, there's already been one on the NES, but that doesn't count). Or a straight-out sequel (similar to FFX-2) for more of the same, but with better graphics/controls/camera/gameplay/etc?
Apparently Square and Enix are finalizing the terms with Disney, so while a good point is presented, it won't be true for the 1st sequel (note the "1st")
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St