Author Topic: Why does Nintendo hate the Game Cube?  (Read 45557 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Nintendo hate the Game Cube?
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2008, 09:13:34 AM »
I'd trade my GameStop with people who are competent and cool for one that had Wavebirds in a second. Maybe I should check the three other GameStops that are within walking distance of mine, the ones that are staffed by assholes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Bartman3010

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »
Personally, they didnt really find a selling point for the system and attempted several ways and sometimes did it really half-assed.

I thought the Gamecube would've been a strong LAN-enabled system, but only three games ever supported the feature. Ironically all three games were racing games. Then they never bothered with such a feature ever again. Not even for any First Person Shooter games, it would've really helped the Timesplitters games definately. Their library had a similar problem the Nintendo 64 had, a good number of Nintendo's games were 4 player multiplayer games and a number of them were RACING titles. Wave Race, 1080, Mario Kart, Kirby F-Zero... They also didnt bother controlling the amount of Mario spinoffs that made it to the system. There was Mario Sunshine which people found 'okay' at best. Then there was Paper Mario 2 which i consider weaker (Not the weakest) Paper Mario game simply because it borrowed too many mechanics from the first game. (Partners had similar or the same abilities, combat was essentially the same) the rest range from sports, to DDR, to racing. Not exactly system seller material there.

Gamecube to Game Boy Advance connectivity was something they were advertising around the beginning of the GBA's life. It was soon around Pac-Man VS. that they really tried to hammer it down. Animal Crossing was the biggest of them all. Sporting not only the isolated island feature or sending NES games to the GBA, there was the e-Reader that let you get pieces of furniture, T-shirt designs and more. But that was it, all third parties could really do was unlock extra levels, basically forcing consumers to shell out cash for more content through these unimaginative ways. Not to mention that cord was really finicky, barely nudging the cord causes it to disconnect. The GCN to GBA cable and the e-Reader was also a small part of what Nintendo tried to expand the GCN life with: Perhiperals. The only way to play AND enjoy Donkey Kong Jungle Beat were to purchase a pair of Bongos. You could buy the game by itself for $40, which is really stupid. Since bongos cost about $30.

Its worth nothing that their blue water strategy did come in around the time Reggie came along advertising the idea of people coming together, playing games and enjoying the experience together. Nintendo had game catalog books at certain retailers and had pictures of people huddled at the TV together playing the Gamecube. But they still didnt really have the game that could help promote the idea.

This is partially why the Wii is a refinement. The Wii remote can be placed into cheap sometimes in-expensive plastic molds, you can connect the DS without any extra wires, though nobody is really jumping on this wagon still. Which provides an easy way to play that anybody can come in, which makes their advertising successful. They actually have some games that they can advertise as the party system without having to rely on their own properties that could alienate their hardcore userbase. So Super Paper Mario, even though based on an RPG series, is a platformer thats very easy to get into.

The only problem with the Wii is obviously the third party support. They feel that the only thing that sells on Wii are party games. But since most developers just churn out a product without actually putting any real effort into it, it just flounders. They basically offer the same thing Nintendo already did, like boxing or skiing and its worse because Nintendo already pulled the idea off. Nintendo also has a better idea how their hardware works, so 3rd party developers can usually get it wrong and basically not work properly, like in Monkey Ball. So they want to emphasize how to play games by saying (Well you have to stand like this and keep one leg up, otherwise it doesnt work.)
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Ironically all three games were racing games.

Phantasy Star Online was a racing game?
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »
I just got really lucky that I was there soon after they put it on the shelf.  The things are desirable.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2008, 03:48:35 PM »
Ironically all three games were racing games.

Phantasy Star Online was a racing game?

No, but it wasnt a Local-Area-Network game either.
- Bartman

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
Ok what does that have to do with anything?

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
Ok what does that have to do with anything?

I thought the Gamecube would've been a strong LAN-enabled system, but only three games ever supported the feature. Ironically all three games were racing games.

PSO wasn't LAN it was Interent.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »
Ok I thought he was just complaining about the network adapter in general saying they only made 3 games that support the device.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »
Ok I thought he was just complaining about the network adapter in general saying they only made 3 games that support the device.
No, they only made 5 that support the device...
Grr. Argh.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »
that is why I was confused, cuz I thought the complaint was just all wrong.

To clarify I thought you were saying there were ONLY 3 games that used the LAN adapter and they were all racing games.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:31:14 AM by animecyberrat »

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
It's kinds simple why Nintendo hates the cube, it didn't sell.
It wasn't the cube's fault that Nintendo had it's head up it's arse during it's lifetime.  It was a good system, well designed, lots of horsepower, but it's creators were cheap as hell.

I'm sure many here know the cube had printouts on the motherboard for 48 megs of memory instead of 24 we got and the GPU was suppose to run at 200MHz, not 167.  These things were changed because Nintendo was didn't want to lose a cent on the cube, but it also gimped it's lifespan a bit in terms of horsepower.  On-line was a joke for the cube and still is today.

Nintendo is doing what it has always done, except with the Wii it's working.

People are laughing at Sony and MS for spending billions for on-line, but they are laying the foundation for use in future generations.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2008, 12:30:30 AM »
There might not be future generations.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »
It's kinds simple why Nintendo hates the cube, it didn't sell.
It wasn't the cube's fault that Nintendo had it's head up it's arse during it's lifetime.  It was a good system, well designed, lots of horsepower, but it's creators were cheap as hell.

I'm sure many here know the cube had printouts on the motherboard for 48 megs of memory instead of 24 we got and the GPU was suppose to run at 200MHz, not 167.  These things were changed because Nintendo was didn't want to lose a cent on the cube, but it also gimped it's lifespan a bit in terms of horsepower.  On-line was a joke for the cube and still is today.

Nintendo is doing what it has always done, except with the Wii it's working.

People are laughing at Sony and MS for spending billions for on-line, but they are laying the foundation for use in future generations.

But the Gamecube was profitable. If Nintendo had beefed the GC's performance up with double the RAM and a faster processor and built in online capabilities, then it still might not have sold anymore than it did (and would have made them lose money to boot). Even as gimped as it was, it still outperformed the PS2. Isn't that enough?
is your sanity...

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »
All those gimmicky Gamecube titles are SO MUCH FUN!  I love 4-player Pacman Vs ("Pacman ate the fruit!").  And Jungle Beat is one of my favorite game ever.  Also, I'm convinced I'm the only person out there who really likes Mario Sunshine.  I would argue that, at this point, the Cube's library still trumps the Wii's.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »
I thought the Gamecube would've been a strong LAN-enabled system

Nobody wanted LAN.  Yeah LAN support is assumed for an online game (except an MMORPG) but the Cube was supposed to be ONLINE.  THAT'S what people wanted, that's what the market was ready for, that's what Nintendo LIED about.  Mario Kart's LAN support was less of a feature and more of a reminder of Nintendo's behind-the-times lack of online support.  It was the equivalent of calling Double Dragon for the NES "two player" because it had alternating two player.  F*ck it.  LAN was Nintendo rubbing our face in the sh!t they took in our salad.

Gamecube to Game Boy Advance connectivity was something they were advertising around the beginning of the GBA's life.  It was soon around Pac-Man VS. that they really tried to hammer it down.

In retrospect connectivity was just an idea to make people buy both the GBA and the Cube.  And the cables of course.  I think Pac-Man Vs. really shows that beyond that they really had no ideas for actual games in mind.  Their big connectivity game that they was the main focus of an E3 presentation was such a blob of nothing that they couldn't even sell it as a standalone product in stores.  If that's the BEST you can come up with then just give up.

Though Four Swords Adventures was awesome and probably should have been what they really tried to sell connectivity with.  The only problem is that it was multiplayer focused so you needed FOUR GBAs and FOUR CABLES.  That's as hardcore of a requirement as if Rock Band required you to buy each instrument seperately.  Even the common "oh everyone had a GBA" arguement didn't work because of those stupid cables.  Nintendo's dumb obsession with selling accessories screwed that up.  If those cables came with every GBA then it would have been a whole different ball game.  Crystal Chronicles had the same problem though it also had a "sucks donkey nuts" factor going against it as well.  So in retrospect Nintendo's connectivity "killer apps" consisted of:

- a mini-game that couldn't be sold as a standalone product
- two multiplayer focused games that required over $400 of equipment to play

Well sh!t how did such a remarkable idea not take off with that lineup?

And to add salt to the wound both of the multiplayer games feature concepts that could have been executed with ONLINE PLAY.  The only reason you needed all those GBAs was because Nintendo said so.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2008, 08:29:32 PM »
Nobody wanted LAN.  Yeah LAN support is assumed for an online game (except an MMORPG) but the Cube was supposed to be ONLINE.  THAT'S what people wanted, that's what the market was ready for, that's what Nintendo LIED about.

Really?  That's what the market wanted?  Because I'm pretty sure the PlayStation2 won last generation and it had a pretty crappy online plan as well.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
The Dreamcast had great online support, far before any other console was even released during last generation. You see where that got it.

LAN support would be a great addition to any game, because split-screen play sucks. I'd really like to see some Wii games have LAN support, especially considering the ease of built-in wireless.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2008, 09:14:37 PM »
I swear I remember pre-launch that Nintendo said many Wii games would feature LAN modes and even single disc multiplayer similar to DS download play. Perhaps I am crazy.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2008, 10:14:01 PM »
Pac-Man VS is way better than Four Swords

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »
I swear I remember pre-launch that Nintendo said many Wii games would feature LAN modes and even single disc multiplayer similar to DS download play. Perhaps I am crazy.

Dr. Mario sorta-has a single "cart" download play feature...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
About the LAN setup, even Sony experimented with it on the original PSX.
Ridge Racer had a LAN mode that if you hooked up two TVs and two PSXs you could play head to head in two player.  Needless to say it didn't last long as later models of the PSX dropped the LAN port.

Yes the PS2 had crappy on-line, but itt was still better then the Gamecube.
In fact there are still some PS2 on-line games still played today such as Tribes and Everquest Adventure.  I believe Sony even gave the PS3 an update so it could play certain PS2 titles on-line.  Even some of the PS2 Rachet titles had online support.

To be fair to Nintendo, GBA connectivity was a cool idea but it was poorly executed and it didn't get much chance to shine before the it was killed.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »

That would be awesome. That is what console gaming needs, right alongside online multiplayer. I remember in the old days, almost every PC game had a "spawn install", where you could basically install a multiplayer only version of the title so as to enjoy with friends. Of course, nowadays they want you to buy a copy for every machine in your house, lest you become a dirty pirate in their eyes. Using the one copy that you bought to play with friends and family on your home network is illegal. Well you know what gaming industry? Arrrgh! ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2008, 01:27:08 AM »
Well to be fair, Genesis and SNES both had Online options also but they were never the focal point of the system and very much a failure in their time.

GC on the other hand, even if PS2 online was not as good as Xbox Live, it was still leaps and bounds better than what GameCube had to offer. Also it was a major let down when multi platforms games would come to the cube, missing said online features that made their counterparts so great.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2008, 11:35:51 AM »
Nobody wanted LAN.  Yeah LAN support is assumed for an online game (except an MMORPG) but the Cube was supposed to be ONLINE.  THAT'S what people wanted, that's what the market was ready for, that's what Nintendo LIED about. 

But it would've helped the Gamecube at least a little. Plus it would've given Nintendo a reason to continue to put out the darn thing in the first place. Hell, there IS a reason why the system has a handle on it. The Gamecube is more portable than the Xbox, making it easy to set up. But Microsoft was able to break the bank with Halo. Halo was popular because of the multiplayer, and the fact that the Xbox had LAN capabilities made it way more popular. You realize that people didnt get Halo 2 until 2004. Halo 1 came out in 2001. Besides the somewhat casual appeal, Microsoft got the upper hand in the beginning, and just made the kill with Halo 2. It took awhile before Microsoft got to make the day with Xbox Live, and even further down the line for Halo 2 to come out.

Halo is the reason people bought an Xbox, and LAN was a huge component to the game before Halo 2 could blow the original out of the water with online play. If only Nintendo could have the same deal with several other titles. I could really go for some cooperative Pikmin 2 over LAN, which was one of the plans that they never finished.
- Bartman

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2008, 01:02:50 PM »
Really?  That's what the market wanted?  Because I'm pretty sure the PlayStation2 won last generation and it had a pretty crappy online plan as well.

Crappy online is better than no online at all.  The time to go online was last gen.  The PS2 might not have had as much of an online presence as the Xbox but it at least looked like a token effort and that makes a huge difference.  Sony looked like a company willing to try to match their competitor.  They also promised online and delivered.  At the very least online multiplatform games typically kept their online features on the PS2.  The PS2 had quite a lot of online games.  Easily over ten times what the Cube had.  Hell there are more online PS2 Madden games than online Cube games period.

In comparison Nintendo made no effort at all.  That looks horrible.  To make no effort gives the impression you don't care about pleasing your customers and with the Gamecube Nintendo should have been doing the opposite.  Hell, they actually LIED to us.  They said the Cube would be online.  They kept talking about vague plans that would be revealed at a later date and when it finally came time to reveal those plans it turned out there was no plan at all.  The plan was "we're not doing it".  They even sabotaged things so third parties couldn't go online.  They offered no assistance to any developers wanting to make online Cube games.  No documentation, no development kit, nothing.  Not going online when you told people you would is bad enough but preventing others from going online?  Come on!  What the hell?

It was never about online.  It was about a company not giving a f*ck.  That's why the Cube was a flop.