Author Topic: EA not supporting Live  (Read 13380 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« on: March 15, 2003, 11:45:06 AM »
  EA has announced that as of right now, they will not support Xbox live.  The reason is they couldn't reach an agreement.  Eidos also has declared MS business practice unfair, and will not support live either.  I read it on Spong.com, so they're pretty sh!tty site, but it does quote both of them.  This might be good for the GC if Nintendo can expand on their 'agreement' with EA .  They should give EA a great deal and get those games online.  Also of note, isn't Eidos responsible for Timesplitters ?  The next installment is supposed to be online, so that could really hurt the xbox.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline AERO

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 12:00:10 PM »
Really hurt xbox? I'm so happy. Thats just what we needed.

P.S. EA hasn't supported live since Live has been phrased live. This ain't news.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 12:15:12 PM »
Obviously, since EA announced they're not supporting live, when they previously planned on it, doesn't that infer that they were going too?  It is news , because if Nintendo gets the EA games online it will attract more people to the GC .  And if it's not news, then why did you read and respond to it?  Blah BLAH blah  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 12:29:00 PM »
Hehe...  And people say that money buys everything.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 12:33:21 PM »
well then, good news if you dont like xbawx
and its news to me, so it was worth posting, yeah edios are the timesplitters 2 guys  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 12:42:25 PM »
Eidos published Timesplitters 2 but it was Free Radical that developed it.

And yeah, this has been known ever since MS divulged all the details about XBox Live- I don't remember EA not supporting it because of it being "unfair" (I heard it was because EA didn't like the closed network), but I really thought it was common knowledge that EA wasn't releasing online games for the XBox.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline AERO

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 03:16:15 PM »
Well maybe they never publically stated it. But I guess they sort of hinted at it for not supporting live for 4 months, and generally doing un-favorable things.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 03:45:45 PM »
i think ea is really liking nintendo's open ended service plan.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Munky

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2003, 03:57:18 PM »
It really doesn't hurt Xbox much. The reason why they (Microsoft and EA) haven't been able to reach an agreement, is because EA doesn't want to include friend lists and showing which game your friend is currrently playing. Basically all Xbox Live features that Microsoft wants Xbox Live games to support, EA doesn't want to put in their games.
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 04:54:33 PM »
Accually when the biggest third party in the world doesn't want to support something because of unfair business practices, its kind of a blow to that project. Because it may influance other smaller developers opinions. And this sould be in the other console board.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 04:56:23 PM »
EA not supporting?
That kinda takes a pretty big chunk out.
As long as EA is online for Nintendo i'll be happy, use Gamespy!

Offline Munky

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 05:28:53 PM »

Originally posted by: BlkPaladin
Accually when the biggest third party in the world doesn't want to support something because of unfair business practices, its kind of a blow to that project. Because it may influance other smaller developers opinions. And this sould be in the other console board.

As long as Xbox Live gamers have Halo 2, Ghost Recon, and other good games, they don't need EA. EA may be a large company, but I can't name one good game they have. They've ruined 007!
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 06:32:54 PM »
  EA sports and EA big have huge followings, whether or not you like them.  Now imagine if they're online for both ps2 and GC, but not xbox.  Which version would you buy?  I should have stated earlier that EA has just OFFICIALLY announced that it will not be supporting live.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2003, 06:39:41 PM »
One really has to wonder how much Sega Sport's loss is hurting GameCube with recent events.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 06:41:57 PM »

As long as Xbox Live gamers have Halo 2, Ghost Recon, and other good games, they don't need EA. EA may be a large company, but I can't name one good game they have.
You can't?  Oh, well I can.  To name some of their bigger ones, there is Madden (if you say this isn't a good game, you are kidding yourself, because '03 got a very high score on many sites), NBA Live, and Tiger Woods (which many consider to be the best golf sim ever).  Or how about some of the games they publish, for example, Two Towers and Harry Potter, both of which are excellent "movie to video game" games.  Obviously not all of their games cannot go online, but it is a shame to ridicule them as a company.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 07:10:25 PM »
I could have sworn I locked this, but in retrospect, I'm just going to move it ...
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2003, 08:27:20 PM »
TheOmen is right- it doesn't matter if we think EA's games suck. The fact is they sell VERY well, and that can help any system, especially when it comes to online. XBox Live not having ANY EA sports games online is a huge blow to Microsoft- all XBox gamers have now is NFL2KX (which doesn't sell well) and NFL Fever (which sucks, at least compared to NFL2KX and Madden).
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2003, 12:23:03 AM »
The fact that EA isn't supporting Microsoft's biggest console project is good enough for me.

This generation just got more interesting.
An EA deal with Nintendo, and EA says no to Xbox Live. But then Eidos says no to XBox Live. Wow.

Online console is a very delicate buisness. I think that it was good that MS rushed into it (Even if they have a good plan), but then that shows that they didn't consider ALL the options.
Nintendo seems to be back in the safe zone after all (in terms of online gaming).
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Munky

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2003, 04:49:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
I think that it was good that MS rushed into it (Even if they have a good plan), but then that shows that they didn't consider ALL the options.
Nintendo seems to be back in the safe zone after all (in terms of online gaming).

Microsoft didn't rush into anything. They hyped it up, and Xbox Live has lived up to that hype. There's no better online gaming out right now for consoles. PS2 Online pure crap, and Nintendo hasn't released info on their online gaming, except the fact that it will come out when the market is ready.

Xbox Live does not need EA to succeed. EA would make it even more popular, but as of right now, Xbox Live is doing very well, and out selling the PS2 Network Adaptor. Either it's doing very well or PS2 just flat out out sucks online, or possibly both.

All options were considered. You must remember, Microsoft knows what they're doing when it comes to stuff like this. They didn't want consumers to have to pay each and every game maker to play their games online. Every game maker was told about this, and all but a select few said they'd still support Xbox Live. Why? Because Microsoft would help add the Xbox Live options into their games to save them money.

EA is just being greedy and selfish. They want to charge their own fees. They don't want to add the Xbox Live options into their games. They want to run the games on their own servers (which happen to be a lot worse than what Xbox Live games run on). EA wants to do things their way, and their way only. That's fine. Let them. As far as I'm concerned, Xbox Live is doing better without them than it would with them.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2003, 06:05:21 AM »

Xbox Live does not need EA to succeed. EA would make it even more popular, but as of right now, Xbox Live is doing very well, and out selling the PS2 Network Adaptor.
Profit margin, anyone?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Munky

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2003, 06:35:55 AM »

Originally posted by: kennyb27Profit margin, anyone?

I read it over at teamxbox.com a couple months ago. If I can find the news post again, I'll give you guys the link to it.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline AERO

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2003, 07:02:49 AM »
Nobody really likes ea for reasons like this anyway on the xbox side. Its a trade off for that anyway. Live is the only online plan that gets the Sega sports games online and PS2 is the only one getting EA sports games online.

BTW, xbox isn't doing this to be greedy. If they were doing it to be greedy, they would charge more and give your less instead of the other way around. They want the control to insure us a better online experience and from what they've accomplished with it thus far, I couldn't blame them for wanting that whether people are going to say they're trying to "control" things becuase of past stereotypes or not. They'll try and make money later on, and if its worthwhile, then great, but if not I'll jump ship. Alliances are only temporary.

I personally havent baught an EA game since their first Bond game for N64 becuase if I do get interested in something there making they go and cancel it on me. I really wouldn't be interested in madden online anywhere else becuase for the ps2 you would have to let 56k'ers in and theres no voice communication. You have to pause the game then whip out the keyboard to start typing. The only football game I've liked really is NFL Fever becuase I prefer more arcadish style games for sports genres.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2003, 08:14:34 AM »
I doubt EA will have online games for the GCN either.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2003, 12:46:53 PM »
That's if Gamecube goes fully online at all.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline T-Tiger

• View Profile
EA not supporting Live
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2003, 02:08:49 PM »
Why work on Xbox, when you could be making online games for Gamecube...

speaking of online games for Gamecube...