Author Topic: PLEASE tell me the GCN is not dying in Europe.  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Nik Jam

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PLEASE tell me the GCN is not dying in Europe.
« on: March 14, 2003, 06:41:55 AM »
I got some Xbox fanboys trying to tell me stores in the UK are starting to "chant for the GC's death" and are stopping stock of GCN's in their stores. Can someone confirm this?
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline MH-001

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 06:58:17 AM »
It's a rumor from Xbox fanboys, right?
Humans were born with the ability to be stupid. You're abusing the privelage.

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 07:01:54 AM »
Actually the 2 people even posted links proving it. Stores ARE getting rid of em. Im just wondering if they are really doing THAT bad, or are there some other reasons invovled with stores taking them off.
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 07:56:42 AM »
Riteo, heres the deal....

Tuesday, a tabloid in the UK reported that the dixons group were dropping the Gamecube due to poor sales.

Thursday, Dixons said to Cube-Europe.com that they were not dropping Gamecube but considering it. They have sl;ashed the price in their stores of £99 (formely £129) an that includes the free game offer, if sales dont pick up they will drop the Gamecube

On Monday (before the above tuesday) there were also reports from dixon group than Gamecube is selling extremly well since the free game offer began.

This month in europe sees the release of the HEAVILY ADVERTISED RESIDENT EVIL 0, and METROID PRIME. ZELDA is released in may

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 08:13:01 AM »
well xbox isnt doing that much better in europe....ps2 is still kicking boht their asses. Seriously in the n64 days we really werent as concerned with whos number one. People are to nit picky now adays. Enjoy your damn games.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 08:47:37 AM »
the GCN is not dying in Europe.

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 09:37:58 AM »
its funny, becouse the day after i saw the initial story about dixons, i saw the european multi-format charts and there were three gamecube exclusive titles in the top 20. resident evil 0 was sitting at number 2. i think it was just bad timing on a few merchants parts with their comments, after a period where not many high profile games(if any) were released for gamecube.  

Offline CaptainN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 11:41:47 AM »
No, Gamecube is not dying in Europe. Don't fret.

You're forgetting about a little thing called the Gameboy Advance SP. Dixon's likely changed their stance on the Gamecube when they realized Nintendo actually makes the GBA-SP.  If Dixon's decides to screw the Big N over with this, it's just as likely Nintendo will pack their bags, and redirect GBA-SP shipments elsewhere.

And one more thing, I think everyone here is OVER-blowing the whole Dixon's rant. Dixon's is big, but it's not THAT big. Think of Dixon's as Gamestop in the US, or even what EBgames stores are right now. They are far from being that large of a distributor.  Games sales are no different in the UK as they are here -- specialty shops are not exactly THE place games are picked up...

"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 11:59:34 AM »
Well the sales have suffered because Nintendo takes time to port their games. Xbox already has Splinter Cell, yet Nintendo doesnt have Metroid. Thats the reason why sales have been lackluster, but both Zelda and MP will be out so i expect the sales to go up, at least i hope so.  Europeans should quit their whinning their version of MP will be alot better!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 01:04:45 PM »
1. The Sims (Electronic Arts)PS2, PC
2. Resident Evil Zero (Capcom)GameCube
3. The Getaway (SCEE)PS2
4. Tenchu: Wrath Of Heaven (Activision)PS2
5. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (Midway)Xbox,PS2,NGC,GBA
6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Take-Two Interactive)PS2
7. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Ubisoft)PC, Xbox
8. FIFA 2003 (Electronic Arts)Xbox, PS2, GameCube, GBA, PC, PSX
9. Command & Conquer: Generals (Electronic Arts)PC
10. Dancing Stage Party Edition (Konami)PSX
11. Metal Gear Solid- Substance (Konami)Xbox
12. Sonic Mega Collection (Infogrames)GameCube
13. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 (Electronic Arts)PS2, PC, Xbox, Gamecube
14. Lord Of The Rings – The Two Towers (Electronic Arts)Xbox, PS2, GameCube, GBA
15. Harry Potter – Chamber of Secrets (Electronic Arts)Xbox, PS2, GameCube, GBA, PC, PSX
16. James Bond 007: NightFire (Electronic Arts)Xbox, PS2, GameCube, PC
17. Pacman World 2 (Namco)PS2
18.Rayman 3 (Ubisoft)GameCube, GBA
19. Treasure Planet (Disney Interactive) PS2, PSX, GBA
20. Phantasy Star Online: Ep 1&2 (Inforgrames)GameCube

The Gamecube is doing terrific in Europe, only one more week until Metroid...

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 07:50:36 PM »

Think of Dixon's as Gamestop in the US, or even what EBgames stores are right now. They are far from being that large of a distributor.

Isn't Gamestop the biggest software chain in america?  ....At any rate, the Gamecube will be fine.  Theres alot of dis-information out there right now (we know who from) trying to sway consumer confidence.  It's really standard rhetoric.  Cube's doing better than the N64 ever did, and it's only going to get better.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates