Author Topic: Wii Component still looks pixilated?  (Read 9090 times)

Wii Component still looks pixilated?
« on: December 11, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »
OK so i got the offical brand of Wii component cables, plugged em into my 32'' LCD HDTV. I set the Wii to 480P and widescreen. But for me, it seems as though the games im playing still look pixelated. Im not sure if its supposed to be that way. Im worried that something could be faulty.

The games im trying are Zelda, DBZ, and Trauma Center. TC doesnt look bad at all as the game is almost completely 2D, but in zelda and DBZ, i notice that all characters models look so pixelated even though the games are less blurry. Its a slight disappointment especially since ive gotten used to what the Xbox 360 can process. I theorize that since all 3 games were ported from another system one way or another, could be the reason for the pixels as ive come to understandings that sometimes ported games arent as good as their original copy, graphics or otherwise.

Anyone else know anything about it? Could it be my TV?

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Component still looks pixilated?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:26:04 PM »
Well, with components you get a sharper image and much more improved colors. 480P offers a resolution increase, but that's a far cry from any HD res. I've read in some Wii reviews about games, particularly Zelda, looking a bit worse with the added clarity of component cables, so it's not an isolated issue. I don't notice anything like that from my personal experience, but I don't have an ED/HDTV either.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 02:26:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure you're just gonna have to deal with it.  Standard definition puts a muddy film over the entire image, which sometimes acts as a sort of automatic anti-aliasing for the image.  When you bump it up to pro-scan, the picture because sharper and easier to see...the downside is that all the imperfections are now much more visible.  What you're seeing are called "jaggies."  The edges around Link aren't being blurred like they were with standard def.

It's annoying for a while, but you'll get used to it.  Overall the component cables are more positive than negative, since all the environments look loads better and the colors are much more vibrant and accurate.    
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 02:30:21 PM »
I agree, I see the jaggies much better on my 50" TV, but the colors and clarity make up for it.
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

RE:Wii Component still looks pixilated?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
Thanks.

Although, i find it kinda funny that, I can look at pictures on some sites, even NintendoWorldReport, and see screens of Zelda running in 480P and it looks much sharper. Could it be simply that a freeze frame picture makes it look like nothings wrong, but in action you see everything? Or is it that they are setting it up differently than i am?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 02:41:44 PM »
Yeah I can live with some jaggies.  Especially since I can see Links face.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:49:01 PM »

Originally posted by: LandStalkerNigel
Thanks.

Although, i find it kinda funny that, I can look at pictures on some sites, even NintendoWorldReport, and see screens of Zelda running in 480P and it looks much sharper. Could it be simply that a freeze frame picture makes it look like nothings wrong, but in action you see everything? Or is it that they are setting it up differently than i am?

Those screen shots aren't being stretched to the size of your TV like the games themselves are.
GOREGASM!

Offline MilkManX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 01:54:47 AM »
 480P is not going to look good on an LCD that has a much higher native resolution(Probably 1368x 766).

I have a CRT HDTV and it improved it alot but 480p is just 480p...especially compared to when I fire up the Xbox360 with 1080i resolution.

Wii Friend Code 3896 5966 4421 6752

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 02:51:34 AM »
I just got my componant cable from Ninty (hand delivered by Reggie & Perrin for making me wait...) and I've only played Wiisports since but I noticed a pretty big sharpness improvement.  My TV is an LCD running natively at 1366x768.  Ironically I found that some games look worse or at least not better in 480p. Scarface on PS2 comes to mind.  
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 03:14:29 AM »
After playing gamecube games for so long in proscan mode, its hard for me to play with the Wii normally. Not that the games look bad, its just knowing the clarity could be better.

What I've noticed with proscan (on the GC) is that games look to have a bit of noise along with an overall darker tone. Going from Red Faction II to Metroid Prime is like night and day since RFII does not support proscan. Text is alot cleaner, too.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 03:46:56 AM »
I had that problem with Baten Kaitos ironically.  At home I have Component but where I was living for work I had coaxial or RCA and I couldn't read the text.  Especially on the cards.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 05:35:54 PM »
Don't forget to adjust the sharpness, kiddies!  The sharpness setting on a TV can make component video look WORSE becuase it adds noise to pronounce edges.  For many HDTVs, a shaprness of 0 actually looks best.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 06:16:10 AM »
That depends on the TV, but yes, you're usually better off starting with a sharpness of zero, because many TV's have noise reduction filters and whatnot that are not active when the sharpness is set at zero.  At first, the picture may feel a bit "soft", but that's only because you're used to seeing an "oversharp" picture.  Once you get used to it, you'll find that setting it any higher is just ugly to look at.

As for the 480P games looking pixelated, it is going to depend on the quality of the scaler in your TV.  Some TV's can upscale a 480P picture to 720P (or higher) better than others.  This is the main reason why I wished Nintendo had made 720p the default.  The only way you're going to be able to fix this is by getting a new TV, or by getting an outboard video scaler that can send a native signal to your TV.  Either option is fairly expensive.  There are some home theater receivers that do a decent job of upscaling signals, which may be an alternative.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 07:53:57 AM »
I have a 37" LG LCD that does the upscale conversion.  When I got my official Wii Cables from Nintendo, I hooked them up to my receiver and notice a sharper difference.  Link was little bit more defined and when viewing the ending landscape shots, you can definitely see a difference.  

The other thing that people don't talk about is that the cables work to make GCN games 480p, if supported.  I put Metroid Prime in my Wii.  It definitley looks better.  My only gripe is that you have to manually change it to 480p everytime with compatible GCN games.

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 08:06:05 AM »
I just got the official component cables and am using them with my new Lumenlab projector. It looks pretty good; small text was unreadable and colors were hopelessly washed out with regular RCA.

Fortunately for me, the LL Evo projector's native resolution is 800x480, so it's perfect for standard def content. While the jaggies are more apparent and Link's character model definitely look more pixelated than before, the fugly colors I was getting with RCA were worse.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540