Author Topic: You need to play Company of Heroes  (Read 1381 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
You need to play Company of Heroes
« on: October 28, 2006, 02:32:46 AM »
Seriously. I don't know why they made a WW2 game, those things stand out like movie tie-ins on the shelves, but the game is awesome nonetheless (it's an RTS and only on the PC, in case you're wondering). Well, okay, no idea about the campaign, I didn't play it very far but you're supposed to play multiplayer (or train in Skirmish mode) anyway. It's very micro-heavy and you can't let your troops fight anything unsupervised but usually you don't have so many troops in play that that gets difficult. The game has fewer options for matches, there can be only two teams and those teams are forced to play US or Germany but that allows the sides to be really different and have troops on one side be designed for fighting the troops on the other side instead of e.g. having to make sure US vs. US is balanced.

The game is very unlike any other RTS I've played and there's such a broad variety of approaches (never mind the doctrines which can completely change your gameplay style, e.g. allowing you to airdrop tons of crap on the battlefield or build really powerful tanks). Takes a lot of time to get used to, much more than any other RTS but once you're there it's awesome.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:You need to play Company of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:07:44 PM »
Do what KDR says, and play Company of Heroes. It gets my recommendation as well, which is surprising since I expected yet another blah World War II game in the strategy genre. I love how it almost feels like you are really on the battlefield which is a pretty big accomplishment for a strategy game. Not to mention the neat little details like buildings getting holes blown in them.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: You need to play Company of Heroes
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:13:26 PM »
I find it weak that so few people here have played it. You people want innovation? Then play it when it comes! This game is innovative, it needs a whole new mindset to play. If you think all PC games are derivative try applying the standard RTS tactics to CoH and see even the easy AI slaughter you.