Author Topic: Yet Another Market Analysis  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Yet Another Market Analysis
« on: September 23, 2006, 10:52:55 PM »
See what you make of this one.

Yankee Group Finds Sony will Hold off Microsoft and Nintendo in Video Game Console Sales

NEWS RELEASE - 16 AUG 2006
Third-Generation Consoles Emerge as a Significant Channel for Digital Content Distribution

Boston, MA, August 16, 2006—Yankee Group today revealed that despite intense competition from Microsoft and Nintendo, the Sony PlayStation 3 will lead sales in North America - though by a narrow margin. As a result of video game consoles’ emergence as platforms for digital distribution, Microsoft and Sony are engaged in a bruising battle for market dominance. Microsoft is off to a fast start, launching the Xbox 360 nearly 12 months before the PlayStation 3. However, by the time third-generation consoles reach market maturity in 2011, the PlayStation 3 will once again be the market leader.

According to the Yankee Group DecisionNoteSM, Can Sony Hold Off Microsoft as Video Game Consoles Emerge as a Platform for Digital Distribution?, published today, by 2011 the PlayStation 3 will have sold about 30 million units and account for 44% of cumulative third-generation console sales in North America. Comparatively, Microsoft will have sold nearly 27 million units by 2011, accounting for 40% of the market and Nintendo will have sold just over 11 million units, accounting for 16% of the market.

"With a growing installed base of connected consoles, content owners are beginning to recognize the potential video game consoles offer as a distribution channel," said Michael Goodman, Yankee Group Media & Entertainment Strategies Senior Analyst. "Additionally, these platforms will serve as a strong medium for advertising, validating the growing market for in-game and around game advertising."

Additional findings in this Yankee Group DecisionNote include:

• Overall, fewer consoles will be sold this generation. Yankee Group anticipates that as a result of higher console prices, overall unit sales will lag the previous generation of consoles (i.e., PS2, Xbox and GameCube).

• Microsoft will put significant price pressure on Sony during the PS3’s lifecycle. In addition to starting at a lower price than the PS3, Microsoft is well positioned to make a large price cut in the spring of 2007 and each year thereafter—putting significant price pressure on Sony.

What do you think of this one? Obviously time will tell, but I think this guy is a bit of a Sony pawn.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: Yet Another Market Analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 11:32:11 PM »
Yankee Group? Haven't we already discussed, and pointed and laughed at, this?  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
I think we have.
GOREGASM!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 11:35:52 PM »
Have we?  I couldn't remember it.  My apologies if it's already been covered.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 09:43:55 AM »
Analysts are a joke, and the Yankee Group is the funniest one. Every report I ever see from themis baseless and always places Sony lightyears ahead of the competition. Usually having the worst business plan in the world and an astronomical price tag put you in a position to fail, but I guess these analysts don't see it that way.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 09:55:57 AM »
Third Generation?  Wha?

OH MY GOD!  The PS3 is going to go back in time and beat the NES, SEGA Master System and Atari 7800!  That's how they're going to win!

Damn, I wonder how much the PS3 would cost in mid-80's dollars.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 11:19:26 AM »
Actually this is a new one.  The other one that we pointed a laughed at was more ridiculous.  I will sayh this though they don't know when to quit.  Their credibility right this moment is out the window because these are just wild guesses for the most part.  Going by how things are with the console currently how can they even make claims like this.  Nintendo has more out about it's online then Sony know has.  Though I could be wrong I haven't gone through TGS coverage.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 06:55:09 PM »
I believe I posted the last analysis these clowns made in the Wii forum under the title Analysts Suck. Go figure they still suck.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:Yet Another Market Analysis
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 06:58:40 PM »
Pretty sure this is the same one. Note the August 16th date. And the fact that the percentages (44, 40, 16) are the same.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Hocotate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Yet Another Market Analysis
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »
Posted before of not, I still lol'd.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)