Author Topic: System Failures?  (Read 9674 times)

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
System Failures?
« on: March 04, 2003, 01:37:03 PM »
I was just lounging back in my computer chair that is already beginning to break from the extra use of it these days at this forum.  When I got to thinking of systems that "broke" or failed terribly from the market or got canned before reaching the market.  I could think of a few, namely:
1)Nintendo Virtual Boy
2)Sega Dreamcast (although I loved this system to death.  Powerstone 2!!)
3)The Sony handheld that was released in Japan (which I don't have too much info on, so any help in that department would be appreciated)
4)N64 DD
5)Panasonic/Nintendo CD system (the name slipped my mind as I typed this)

Any other ones you could think of, please feel free to post them here.  I'd love to keep a list going.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 02:07:40 PM »
The Wonderswan? Oh, and the NEO Geo Pocket color
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 02:32:57 PM »
"5)Panasonic/Nintendo CD system (the name slipped my mind as I typed this)"

The Phillips incarnation of the SNES CD add on didn't have a name at the time, but Phillips worked it into the CD-i. The Sony version was called the Playstation.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline baberg

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 02:42:20 PM »
Man...  Talk about feeling my age...

Vectrex
Atari 5200/5800/7200
Countless 2600 clones
TurboGrafix 16
3DO
TurboGrafix handheld (can't remember the name)

If you're including expansions...
Genesis 32X
Sega CD
Sega Saturn

I highly recommend you young whipper-snappers read "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven L. Kent.  It follows the progress of games from pre-Pong up to the launch of the current generation of systems.  Very informative, and I was able to read it all in about a week over Christmas.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline sequoia

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 04:21:53 PM »
I miss my comadore64 It was my first gaming machine.  
I am what I created. Believing in my fate. Integrity is my name.
All that I am doin, can never be ruined. The Torn Outlaw.

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 06:37:02 AM »

I highly recommend you young whipper-snappers read "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven L. Kent.

Thanks, baberg, I think I might look into that.  
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

Offline David G

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 10:19:37 AM »

Originally posted by: baberg
Man...  Talk about feeling my age...

Vectrex
Atari 5200/5800/7200
Countless 2600 clones
TurboGrafix 16
3DO
TurboGrafix handheld (can't remember the name)

If you're including expansions...
Genesis 32X
Sega CD
Sega Saturn

I highly recommend you young whipper-snappers read "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven L. Kent.  It follows the progress of games from pre-Pong up to the launch of the current generation of systems.  Very informative, and I was able to read it all in about a week over Christmas.

Man I remember having one of those.  I wish my mom hadn't given it away.  At least some kids put it to good use.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
System Failures?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 08:58:42 PM »
How can you guys forget the Nuon. Serious there has been hundereds of failed consoles and add ons to consoles. (Depending on how you define a failure. Dreamcast was going very well for Sega they just collapse under the weight of their other failures.) Since you are including handhelds there is also Game.com, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Neo Geo and the list goes on.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2003, 10:45:07 AM »
The Dreamcast wasnt a failiure, it was pretty frigging good, it got killed by Segas past faliures.

I still use my Virtual Boy and Neo Geo Pocket but i admit both disapointed me.

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2003, 02:55:59 PM »
Saturn wasn't an add-on, fool. Also there never really was a "Atari 5800".
Dreamcast, had the most successful console launch in history and actually sold pretty decently. Even now there is more Dreamcasts out there than Gamecubes.

Add to the list:

Atari's Jaguar (inc. Jag CD)
Sega Master System (well, in the U.S., anyway)
Apple's Pippin spec
Panasonic's M2 (scrapped a couple of months from launch, but millions and millions poured in to development)
Magnavox's Odyessey2
FMTowns Marty
Bandai's Playdia
Amiga CD32
Philips CD-I
Pioneer Laseractive

Offline Joey

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2003, 05:05:50 PM »

How can you guys forget the Nuon.

I haven't. I even know that it used to be called Project X and had an ad with an X squashing Mario's hat. I also wouldn't be suprized if anyone around who remembered that ad thought it was related to the related to the X BOX.

Offline Tsunekazu

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2003, 05:32:14 PM »
Indrema, TuxBox.

Offline Masterpiccolo

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2003, 03:09:03 PM »
Playstation

Offline Okiva77

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2003, 12:28:09 PM »
wasnt the Wonderswan a huge success in japan?  i know it just recently folded, but it still gave the GBC a run for its money right?

ha! the Virtual Boy....what an embarrassment! Cool though, but well....

dont forget Sega

Sega CD, Sega 32X, Saturn.
What else was there? How did the Game Gear fair?

And of course there's the Atari Jaguar, the Lynx, Turbo Grafx-16, 3DO, the Atari 7800.
How long did the Sega Master System fair against the NES? What about the Odyssey? The Channel F thing, etc....
AC info
Town:Zanzibar
Character:Johnny

"i'm walking through the desert, and i am not frightened
although it's hot.
i have all that i requested, and
i do not want what i haven't got."

(god bless you, sinead)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 12:57:34 AM »

Originally posted by: deminisma

Amiga CD32

omg there was an amiga console? gimme anyone got some links about info on it?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 02:37:13 AM »
Did Sega make two versions of their Mega Drive (the Genesis in the States)? Cause my cousin has a 'Sega Mega Drive II'. I dunno.
I saw the back of the box and, like Nintendo's 'watch out for these games' thing on the back of the N64 and Gamecube boxes, the MD2 had ads for the 32CD, and all manner of other devices.
I'm guessing that the 'original' Mega Drive didn't have connectivity like this, so they released a new version of the Mega Drive.

Confirm this anyone?
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2003, 06:08:59 AM »
I know Sega released a Genesis 2 here in the states, but I was never really informed on it.  For example, I know that it was slightly smaller and what-not.  But I do not know the technical differences, sorry if I was unhelpful.
-Kenny

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2003, 05:44:17 PM »
There are 3 Genesis systems in the U.S. The Mega Drive 2 is the PAL/JAP eqivalent to the 2nd U.S. revision. All 3 rev. work with SegaCD while the last (3rd) rev. isn't compatible with the 32X (the other two ARE). Both Mega Drives are compatible with 32X and MegaCD as they are just PAL versions of Genesis rev. 1 and 2. Confusing, yes?

edit: PIAC,  here is some CD32 info. See what a little googling does?  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2003, 04:47:33 AM »
  Don't forget the Turbo Duo.  It was Turbo graphix cd and card games on 1 console....and it sucked.  Also, I think it was known as PC engine(turbo grafix) in Japan.  As for there being more Dreamcasts then Cubes, hasn't Dreamcast been out for about 5 years?  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2003, 06:59:14 AM »
Well, DC went out of production, so you really can't count the last few years as.  The DC had record sales, but Sega couldn't float it, so it died.  Still love mine

Remember the Sega Nomad?  Many people don't.  To be able to play Genesis games on the road, great, for the 3 seconds the battery lasted

I still want one of these, but they are hard to track down.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2003, 07:43:24 AM »
If "failed terribly" means wasn't popular in the US gamer's home, then Wonder Swan, Saturn, and Neo*Geo were failures. But all three were at least moderately successful in Japan. The Neo*Geo was a failure in homes due to the high cost, but a success in arcades with it's ability to play multiple games in one cabinet.

Other notes:

* NUON isn't a gaming system, but a techology meant to augment DVD players. VM Labs erroneously tried to market it as a gaming technology, and at the time the demos were first generation PSX at best.

* The Sony handheld kennyb27 is talking about is the PocketStation. About the same size as Sega's VMS, it had a 32-bit (!) processor and i believe it played games directly off of a PSX memory card.

* i don't know if it counts, but Sega released a Genesis/Sega CD hybrid called the CDX. Basically it was a bulky CD player, or a compact Sega CD, depending on how you look at it. Then there was the Nomad...

* The Genesis 3 was released (and maybe designed) by Majesco. The main differences between the Genesis 2/3 and the original was the smaller size, and the omission of the headphone jack (and some other outputs i can't remember offhand). The Genesis 2 was compatible with the smaller Sega CD 2, and the Genesis 3 lacked the expansion to connect and of the Sega CD models.

* Sega also had plans to release the first VR headset (Sega VR), but numerous setbacks (like the number of people who got sick from using it) kept it from seeing the light of day.

* The TurboGrafix-16 handheld was called the TurboExpress. It was bulky but it had the first active matrix screen and played the same games as the TurboGrafix-16.

* The Neo*Geo CD was a terrible failure (as was the Hyper Neo*Geo 64). The NGCD had a single speed drive, and games often took 15-30 seconds between screens to load. It was about the same size as the Xbox, but twice as heavy. i had one for a while, but couldn't deal with the ridiculous load times.

* The Korean handheld the GP32 could be considered a failure, despite the fact that games are still in production.

* Sega had plans to release a Zip drive add-on for Dreamcast. Sega also planned to release Dreamsong, a karaoke-capable Dreamcast. i don't know if this was ever released.

* i'm sure everyone's forgotten Infinium Lab's and the Phantom, supposedly due to be announced this month.

"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2003, 08:24:53 PM »
Wow.  does no-one remember the Intellivision...  controller like an old telephone handset...

Offline Joey

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2003, 09:16:15 AM »

* i'm sure everyone's forgotten Infinium Lab's and the Phantom, supposedly due to be announced this month.

I am also sure that many who do remember still doubt if it is even real.

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
System Failures?
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2003, 11:11:56 PM »
The Dreamcast Karaoke add-on did get a release. It is available for purchase here at a reasonable $109.