Author Topic: The new and improved X-box, X-box Light?  (Read 8726 times)

The new and improved X-box, X-box Light?
« on: March 03, 2003, 03:18:08 PM »
Rumor has it that X-box has been redesigned to be smaller, lighter, and cheaper, a whole 100 dollars cheaper and will be released either late this year, or sometime next year.  What do you think?
it was time for a change.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 04:12:10 PM »
Good for them for improving it, but I'm still not going to buy it. . . I don't want 2 consoles.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Michael_82

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 05:22:27 PM »
I heard that too.  I also heard that you would also have to sign up for Xbox Live when you purchase it.  This is all assuming this is not a rumor, which I expect it is.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 05:32:13 PM »
I heard it on a television station called G4.  Its an all gaming network, and they're credible.  G4 sort of like TechTV, but totally devoted to games.    
it was time for a change.

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 08:05:52 PM »
Maybe the 'box and Ballmer have been supporting each other's dieting.

Then again, maybe not.

Offline penfold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 08:46:58 PM »
Okay.....if one has to sign up for XBOX Live, what if the person doesnt have broadband and cannot use XBOX Live? Just because they are making the console a hundred dollars cheaper doesnt mean that its any better. Gameplay is what matters, IMHO. What good is a game if it has beautiful graphics, but lousy gameplay? The game just ends up being put back in the closet with other software like Whacked!.  

Offline substrate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 09:52:57 PM »
They are probably having a promotion like they do with computers, get so much off if you sign up for so many years of internet service.  You likely have to sign up for 2 to 3 years of X-Box live to get the $100 off.  You will probably be able to buy it at the regular price if you don't want X-Box live, but with Microsoft you never know.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 01:23:58 AM »
XBox Lite?
Hah. For all we know, it's gonna have a handle on it.
Seriously, I know that you can get components small like the microchip, but can you really shrink the sixe of the hard drive and DVD drive? If the Gamecube had all that, it would still be small, but it would be about 30cm high.
PS2 anyone?
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Tman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 04:47:46 AM »
They could easily shrink the size by not using off the shelf PC parts.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 11:00:31 AM »
But this is Microsoft, so you don't expect enything other than shelf PC parts.
Why would MS go to all the trouble of redesigning the XBox when it's losing so much money already? What are they going to do? Take away the DVD player and the Hard Drive and make Memeroy Cards a necessity? I don't think so. If the redesign in XBox is going to be anything, it's going to be a lot uglier. MS should just concentrate on making the Xbox Next.
Hang on a sec....if this gets MS to NOT really focus on Xbox Next, they could be releasing their new console after the GC2 and PS3. And be the ones missing out on all the rush.

Microsoft sucks. Period.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 11:37:20 AM »
Oh come on give the antiM$ attitude a rest. If you don't want two consoles fine, but leave the anti microsoft rants in the closet. 100 dollars cheaper though? Didn't hear that rumor yet.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 12:03:45 PM »
if they sold xbox for 100 i would consider buying it, but there would have to be at least 5 games that i wanted for it, and so far there isnt.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2003, 12:20:24 PM »
NOOO!!!

I mean i got my xbox and rumors come about a cheaper and smaller xbox lite.  

plus

I get my Gamecube on launch day and now it can come in platinum with a free game!

Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Tman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2003, 03:05:50 PM »
If I can fit a PC into a NES case then MS can make the Xbox a *wee* bit smaller, they choose the size because its nearer to the stantard "AV equipment" size. Remember the Xbox isn't a toy, its a serrious piece of Xtreem electronic gear for the hip tech savy 18-49 year old male.  

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2003, 08:50:27 PM »
If you wouldn't have got your Cube at launch though, you would have been missing out on all the great games up to this point though.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2003, 10:57:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Tman
Remember the Xbox isn't a toy, its a serrious piece of Xtreem electronic gear for the hip tech savy 18-49 year old male.

Heh

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2003, 11:01:11 AM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure PS2 is considered more 'hip' and 'savvy' than XBox...
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2003, 11:16:34 AM »
And Gamecube is just plain cool.

I like when people actually care about their products.  Nintendo cares dearly (constant improvements and additions, better GBA), but it's nice to see Microsoft giving a poo.  Sony has just gone down in my opinion, as they don't seem to be making any unnecessary improvements (as in improvements that would not lower costs if they were left out.  Nintendo has all sorts, like GBA connectivity).
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2003, 01:07:17 AM »
well... $100 cheeper, with xbawx live stuff...
arn't they allready losing like $100 us per console? if so i doubt this is true, unless bill's lot have completely flipped their lids

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2003, 02:30:34 AM »
OK....Microsoft are already losing around a hundred bucks each console sold. And then they have the whole THREE free games thing, and that's another three hundred gone. So four hundred so far. But then, they have also reduced the price to almost match the Gamecube, and so, in Australia, that's four hundred lost. so totally 800 big ones. Then, they're rumoured to be releaseing XBox Lite, at 100 dollars cheaper then the normal XBox. So that's 200 hundred bucks lost for every XBox Lite sold.

But now, the THREE free games deal is over (or is it?), but in Australia (dunno about the States or Europe), they still have a 'one free game with XBox purchase'. But they're also losing money (probably)from all the R&D time they're spending on creating an XBox lite.

There are probably more free deals for XBox that I don't know about, so that's more money out of the wallets.

Confused? I sure am.

But it all means that Microsoft is losing a SH!TLOAD of money on XBox. And moreso with going ahead with XBox Lite.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2003, 07:14:50 AM »

And Gamecube is just plain cool.

I usually try to stay away from this but where are you living? When I see a gc ad in the newspaper or here it on the radio or something, I just sort of snicker. Sort of like a "ain't that sweet" sorta thing.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2003, 12:51:07 PM »
yeah.
It's just great to see that people have finally opened their eyes to see that its not just a two console race.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »
If you were talking to me, I ment that as a joke. I ment I don't take it seriously. I think its cute. Like if it had ears, you'd be scratching behind them. Becuase its not threatening. hehe