Author Topic: XBX > PS2 > GCN in gaming reviews.  (Read 8009 times)

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
XBX > PS2 > GCN in gaming reviews.
« on: March 07, 2003, 04:10:21 PM »
When I originally posted this message to planetgamecube.com and n-philes.com, it was immediately deleted.  Now we know how Nintendo-ites deal with negative news... they censor it.  At least psxnation.com is open enough to allow free speech.  Anyway, I'm going to try again in the hope that the Nintendo moderators will be more open-minded to free speech.  I'm not holding my breath though.

In another forum someone wrote:

In terms of variety, the PS2 is the winner. In terms of gameplay, the PS2 is not the winner. ON AVERAGE, PS2 games have a LOWER SCORE than the average xbox and gc games

I was curious if that last sentence about reviews was true, so I went searching the net, pulled out the calculator, and here's what I found:

XBX = 82.5%
PS2 = 80.5%
GCN = 79.1%

Source: http://www.gametab.com/cat/ps2
EDIT: Number of games rated higher than 80% / 90%
XBX = 17    /    2
PS2 = 23    /    5
GCN = 16    /    4
Source: Same.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 05:00:32 PM »
Can you say "crappy ports"?  How about personal/gaming bias on the part of the reviewer (since that is only that one site, maybe if you polled every major Internet gaming site, then you would be OK to put a percentage on it)?  And if you spite me for saying that about the one webpage, how about the fact that it is only 2 and 1.4 percentage points, respectively.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 05:49:19 PM »

Originally posted by: kennyb27
(since that is only that one site, maybe if you polled every major Internet gaming site, then you would be OK to put a percentage on it?
If you bothered to LOOK at the website, you would see that GameTab.com *does* poll every major gaming site and average them together.  (rolls eyes)  Next time, LOOK at the site before you criticize it.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 02:15:09 AM »

Number of games rated higher than...90%
XBX =     2
PS2 =     5
GCN =     4
Source: Same.
As you can see in my revised post, PS2 and GameCube actually have more ultra-high-quality (>90% rating) than X-box does!  Looks like I picked the right systems.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 12:05:54 PM »
All the dumb third party titles should leave Gamecube so they can get higher scores.  If Gamecube was only Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, and all those folks, it would beat the competition into the ground, rating-wise.  All the crappy third parties bring the ratings down. . . it's not like anyone buys em anyway.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 01:58:32 PM »
Some not-so-bright persons were confused by message #1, so let me break it down for them:

Average Scores for ALL games across ~15 review sites:
XBX = 82.5%
PS2 = 80.5%
GCN = 79.1%

Number of games rated higher than 80%
XBX = 17
PS2 = 23
GCN = 16

Number of games rated higher than 90%
XBX =  2
PS2 =  5
GCN = 4

Clear?

Now My Opinion: I think number of high-quality games are more important than percentage of the library.   Given the choice between 17 X-box games or 23 PS2 games rated >80%, which would you choose?  I'd choose the latter, because more games is better.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2003, 04:26:16 PM »
Am I the only person that thinks this is a big, stupid waste of time? Who cares what the average review is?
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2003, 05:51:19 AM »
Honestly, if this post was entitled GCN games are the best.  And he showed you this proof showing that Nintendo is the best, no one would be replying that it is a waste of time.  Everyoen would be like "Well, that's just more proof that Nintendo is the best, blah blah blah."

Theaveng has a valid point, he did some research and he wants to share it.  It is very interesting to see how the numbers stack up, I think it is pretty interesting actually, thanks for the post Theavenge.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Luigi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 01:28:40 PM »
Either I am confused or this is bogus, theaveng.

You wanted to find the average score, but the site you are using for your information does not list even half the games for any of the 3 systems.  Only 30 Xbox, 33 GameCube, and 38 PS2 games reviewed.

For instance they don't have Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader listed.  (IGN gave this game a 9.1)

Or how about Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy?  (IGN gave this one a 9.4)

I'm not a big fan of IGN.  I'm just using them as an example because it is one of Gametab's sources.

Looking at your posts above, you are using the 30 or so games you calculated an average for to represent the entire library for each system.

You're wrong.  

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2003, 01:35:29 PM »
gamerankings.com has a much more comprehensive database of game review scores, although it's far from infallible as well.

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 02:39:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa
Am I the only person that thinks this is a big, stupid waste of time? Who cares what the average review is?

I agree. Personally, Xbox, Cube, and PS2 all have their good games, and their bad games. All those reviews and personal opinions and really, people should play the game before they can judge it. I'm sure a lot of people here haven't played a lot of the good Xbox games, and I know I haven't played a lot of the good Cube games yet. But I haven't judged them, because I haven't played them.

And why would you waste your time coming up with percents for each area? Maybe you should do something useful in your spare time instead of this.
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 08:46:24 AM »
I like my Gamecube, I like its games.  I care nothing for what you think of them, or what anyone things of them, period.

Offline Jirachi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 03:40:08 PM »
My opinion on what each system provides:
Gamecube: Top quality first party single player games, good first party multiplyer games. Really innovative games.
PS2: Tons of so-so(ugly) 3rd party single player games. Lots of games, but 80% of them garbage.
Xbox: A lot of top quality 3rd/1st/2nd party games both single and multi player. Awesome(best) online plans/games.

My fav: Xbox

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2003, 11:32:52 PM »
I would just like to bring up the FACT that the three most critically aclaimed games of all time are playable on Gamecube... From Gamerankings.com

1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time  N64  Nintendo   97.8%
2. Zelda: The Wind Waker  NGC  Nintendo   96.8%
3. Metroid Prime  NGC  Nintendo   96.6%

Nuff said!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 06:17:06 PM »
The only people who vote for X-box are the idiotic hormone driven teenagers that just want to see boobs jiggle in games. Unfortunately, they make up the majority of the gaming population. As far as my personal opinion goes: PC>GCN=PS2>X-Box
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Jirachi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 06:33:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
The only people who vote for X-box are the idiotic hormone driven teenagers that just want to see boobs jiggle in games. Unfortunately, they make up the majority of the gaming population. As far as my personal opinion goes: PC>GCN=PS2>X-Box

So your trying to say that I support xbox because I want to see b00bs jiggle. And how exactly do you know that, how do you know xbox supporters are like that. Think about your comments/disses, cause thats not a very though out diss. Exactly what would I be if I supported PC/GCN/Xbox, 1/3 hormone driven , 2/3 something good.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2003, 04:52:50 AM »
No, I base my comments off of X-box supporters that I've met. People who are freshmen in High School who haven't made it out of their fifth grade, "Beavis and Butthead" mentality. You're one of the few logical thinking X-box fans I've met. The rest of them that I've met are just like I described. I apologize for the generalization of my comment.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Jirachi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2003, 05:06:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
No, I base my comments off of X-box supporters that I've met. People who are freshmen in High School who haven't made it out of their fifth grade, "Beavis and Butthead" mentality. You're one of the few logical thinking X-box fans I've met. The rest of them that I've met are just like I described. I apologize for the generalization of my comment.

I have to say that I am sorry aswell, for saying things that may not be true. I was probably jut upset, becuse I don't see why xbox and gcn fans are against each other. Everyone needs to stop dissing other systems, just beacuse of the games it has. If you don't like them don't buy em. IMO quality > quantity, and everyone has a different opinion when it comes to a quality game. So sorry for any mean things I said. Some of us are bad, but I don't think most are, same goes for all systems.  

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2003, 07:08:09 AM »
Yes, please be more openminded. Just becuase someone thinks nintendo's 1st party is great, can't mean that nothing could come close and be a good game too, perhaps better to other people. And it doesn't mean they have bad taste becuase of it. Treat 'em how you wanna be treated.

*jheesh this is like sunday school or something*