Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 665034 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #3200 on: February 03, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »
Looks like Sony is doing better.

Playstation group profit up 135% in Q3.

Despite a small 6% dip in quarterly sales year-over-year, "due to a decrease in sales in the game business resulting primarily from unfavorable foreign exchange rates," Sony's Networked Products & Services group, which houses its PlayStation brand, posted an impressive ¥45.7 billion (rougly $564 million) in profits for the third quarter period, ended December 31, an impressive 135% boost over the prior-year period. "The game business benefited from significant cost reductions of PlayStation 3 ("PS3") hardware and higher unit sales of PS3 software," the earnings report reads.

Though quarterly sales of both the PlayStation 3 and PSP lagged year-over-year, Sony is forecasting 15 million PS3 consoles sold for the fiscal year, compared to 13 million for the year prior. Coupled with the aforementioned "cost reductions" and significant bumps in PlayStation 3 software sales, things are looking up in PS3-land. Over in PSP and PS2 land, things aren't so bright. The PSP, recently stricken by hardware obsolescence, is forecasted to sell eight million units for the year, versus nearly ten million last year, while the PS2 is on track to rack up six million in sales, compared to over seven million last year.

Toss in some profitability on the PSN front – Sony's working on it – and fiscal 2011 is looking bright for Sony.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: February 03, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »
But did this forecast take into account the recent total and absolute cracking of the PS3 security and what effect that will have? I hate when analysts publish their forecasts after some major game altering event and don't take that event into account. The same thing happened to the Wii when all those analyst assholes were predicting the Wii would be in distant third and sell less than the Gamecube. They made that prediction even AFTER E3 where it was unveiled to huge hype. Why did they still publish their idiotic dumbass predictions even after something major like that said they were wrong? It makes me want to punch them in the face. It just doesn't seem right to me that these jerks are paid so much money when people on forums like this know far more than they do.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:03:33 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: February 04, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
But did this forecast take into account the recent total and absolute cracking of the PS3 security and what effect that will have? I hate when analysts publish their forecasts after some major game altering event and don't take that event into account. The same thing happened to the Wii when all those analyst assholes were predicting the Wii would be in distant third and sell less than the Gamecube. They made that prediction even AFTER E3 where it was unveiled to huge hype. Why did they still publish their idiotic dumbass predictions even after something major like that said they were wrong? It makes me want to punch them in the face. It just doesn't seem right to me that these jerks are paid so much money when people on forums like this know far more than they do.

haters gonna hate
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: February 05, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »
Sony's blood orgy continues!
What's kind of silly, is they don't know who any of the actual defendants they listed are. One of them, Waninkoko, lives in Spain, and the Spanish court recently decided that jailbreaking your PS3 is 100% legal. I suppose they can try to show their EULA argument, but I don't think it will get too far. I think they're just going to file suit after suit to cause financial harm to all of these people (who are customers of Sony).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: February 05, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »
They are just randomly throwing lawsuits at the wall to see what sticks. Most of them won't stick, but I would hate to be in the shoes of whoever gets hit with one.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: February 08, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
LG just threw one at Sony
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-08-lg-wants-playstation-3-banned-in-the-us
Korean company LG wants Sony's PlayStation 3 and Bravia tellys banned in the US for what it claims are patent infringements relating to Blu-ray playback.

The Foss Patents blog contacted Eurogamer to reveal documents filed with the US International Trade Commission in Washington relating to the complaint.

The ITC has the power to block imports of products that violate US patents.

LG claims Sony is infringing four of its patents in a complaint that broadly relates to "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof", but the PlayStation 3 (*Model No. CECH-2501A) is the only Sony product to be specifically named in the main document of the complaint.

A Bloomberg reports suggests LG's claims are revenge for cases brought against it by Sony in December. Sony claims the Seoul-based company is infringing seven of its patents relating to LG phones. Sony has also filed a civil lawsuit against LG Blu-ray players.

LG and Sony are the world's second- and third-largest TV makers, trailing Samsung.
*New PS3Slim model

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: February 08, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
If you behave like a bully long enough eventually someone stands up to you.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3207 on: February 08, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
Or it's another random BS lawsuit like every big company experiences. Think of any big company and it's a safe bet they get multiple lawsuits a year. I don't know if LG has any valid complaints, but it seems like they are just mad because they got sued first.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: February 08, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
But wait...there's more!
Sony is demanding that Google turns over the IP address of anyone who has replied to any of George Hotz's videos on YouTube - this is complete horse ****. I hope LG wins their lawsuit.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3209 on: February 08, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
Why? You don't know it has any merit. Even if you hate a company, it's moronic to hope they lose a lawsuit that they may be innocent off. It's like hoping someone gets convicted of a crime they are innocent off just because you don't like them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: February 08, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
LG claims Sony is infringing four of its patents in a complaint that broadly relates to "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof"

What the **** sort of retarded patent is that?  Sony invented Blu-Ray!  Isn't any Blu-Ray Disc player going to be an electronic device?  Or is the patent on something that is a Blu-Ray player plus some other electronic device in one?  You might as well have a patent on "automobiles that are blue in colour."

Who works in the US Patent Office?  Due to some of the utterly ridiculous patents, particularly software patents, you figure that those running the place are a bunch of geezers confused by those new-fangled computer gadgets.  We're talking about inventions so I think the people calling the shots have to be up-to-date and informed with technology and science.  You wouldn't grab some random bozo off the street and assign him to the Supreme Court.  Yet the Patent Office seems to be run that way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: February 08, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
Here are the patents:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: February 08, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »
Jesus Christ, I've been trying to come up with a way to reply to your response TJ, but it's hard to do so without being a dick. I never said I hate Sony (nor did I ever say that I don't like them) - I wouldn't own 2 PS3s, a PSP, and a Sony digital receiver if I hated them. I just hope they lose their case, mainly because of their recent legal attacks against their users. They're sitting here telling people that they can't use Sony's technology as they please, but apparently Sony can just do whatever they want.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3213 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »
I didn't say you hated them. I was only saying that it doesn't matter how you feel about a company, it's just stupid to hope they lose a lawsuit when you don't even know whether they did anything wrong. Sony's lawsuits are based on people breaking violating their copyrights and that is proven, you don't know if they violated LG's patents (all four of which are very vague sounding). I would suggest not saying they should lose a lawsuit when you don't know if they are guilty or not.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: February 08, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »
Sony invented Blu-Ray!

Incorrect. Sony was on the panel that helped to develop the Blu-Ray standard.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3215 on: February 08, 2011, 09:10:06 PM »
Sony was the lead company, the biggest promoter, the company everyone associates with it, etc. They may not be the only company, but they are the main one. They were even the original owners of the "Blu-ray Disc" trademark (it currently belongs to the Blu-ray Disc Association).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: February 08, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »
But wait...there's more!
Sony is demanding that Google turns over the IP address of anyone who has replied to any of George Hotz's videos on YouTube

It would be kinda funny if someone replied to the youtube videos saying "I hope you burn in hell you dirty pirate!" or something negative like that, but then Sony gets their IP and sues them along with everyone else.

it's just stupid to hope they lose a lawsuit when you don't even know whether they did anything wrong.

Well, we do know they did wrong (rootkits and such come to mind). But whether they did wrong in this particular instance is debatable and for the courts to decide. Its like with O.J. where he got away with the murders, but years later got busted for something else. Sure its not complete justice, but its better than nothing. Sometimes Karma can take awhile to kick in.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:24:13 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:17 AM »
Nothing has been proven by Sony until a judge makes his ruling. Circumventing copyright protection isn't the same thing as violating copyright, by the way. Also, I never said they *should* lose, I said I *hope* they lose. Stop putting words in my mouth. I never pretended like I can confirm that any patent was violated, but I hope that they did. If they didn't do it, then they should not be found guilty.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: February 09, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »

Looks like Sony has to sue themselves. Their fake Kevin Butler twitter posted the keys that they were once trying to keep secret. EPIC FAIL!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3219 on: February 09, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »
Is that a real account? It's not hard to make a fake account and get people to follow you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: February 09, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
Yes, it is real.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: February 09, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
LG claims Sony is infringing four of its patents in a complaint that broadly relates to "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof"

What the **** sort of retarded patent is that?  Sony invented Blu-Ray!  Isn't any Blu-Ray Disc player going to be an electronic device?  Or is the patent on something that is a Blu-Ray player plus some other electronic device in one?  You might as well have a patent on "automobiles that are blue in colour."

Who works in the US Patent Office?  Due to some of the utterly ridiculous patents, particularly software patents, you figure that those running the place are a bunch of geezers confused by those new-fangled computer gadgets.  We're talking about inventions so I think the people calling the shots have to be up-to-date and informed with technology and science.  You wouldn't grab some random bozo off the street and assign him to the Supreme Court.  Yet the Patent Office seems to be run that way.

The USPTO is overwhelmed with applications and pressured to just rubberstamp everything.

It's possible that LG has a patent on something that was used in creating BluRay, they might have a claim on all BluRay things. However these cases always get resolved with a licensing deal.

But wait...there's more!
Sony is demanding that Google turns over the IP address of anyone who has replied to any of George Hotz's videos on YouTube - this is complete horse ****. I hope LG wins their lawsuit.

I don't think Sony has that legal right, if they do that means the law is broken. Tracking down commenters like that would enable freedom of speech violations on a MASSIVE scale.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: February 09, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »
I don't think Sony has that legal right, if they do that means the law is broken. Tracking down commenters like that would enable freedom of speech violations on a MASSIVE scale.

I don't really disagree with you (going after Youtube commentors is going too far), but if I'm not mistaken there's no such thing as "freedom of speech" on the internet, because it's not governed by any one nation's laws.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: February 09, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »

I don't really disagree with you (going after Youtube commentors is going too far), but if I'm not mistaken there's no such thing as "freedom of speech" on the internet, because it's not governed by any one nation's laws.

Exactly why there is freedom of speech. Rights aren't given, they're taken. No governing body, no freakish control.

Besides, YouTube is owned by Google, which is an American company. I doubt they'd be willing to hand over any information without a court order. Likewise, it won't do much good for commenters that are in regions that don't really recognize or care about inane things like policing big businesses' little tinker ideas.

46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »

The internet has de facto freedom of speech.

Furthermore, if the internet is "not governed by any one nation's laws" then what would give Sony the legal power to go after commentators?
is your sanity...