Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 665054 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #3175 on: January 13, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
If OJ were to jailbreak a PS3 (assuming he could afford one) then Geohotz wouldn't stand a chance in court.

Okay, this was pretty funny.

Sony could always hire OJ to take out Geohotz and then leave behind a small, bloody, glove, with none of his DNA on it.

Could Geohotz counter-sue Sony and say that them trying to seize his computer is taking his livelihood, essentially killing him like OJ allegedly did to his wife?

This was not.

Last warning.  Next person to mention any running back in this thread gets banned.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: January 13, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »
Actually it's already been pointed out in geohot's lawyer's repsonse that his computer provides his livleihood and it's completely unecessary for it to be seized, and also it wouldn't do any good because you can't put the cat back in the bag.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: January 13, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »
Smartass. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: January 14, 2011, 01:42:08 PM »
In what's sure to be the first of many nasty hacks, there is now a hack out that allows you to instantly unlock any trophy in most trophy-enabled PS3 titles (the exceptions being...oddly enough...Batman Arkham Asylum and Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition).  Hopefully, the people who use this will be banned by Sony as soon as they connect to PSN (as Microsoft apparently already does with people who do this on 360), and that will be the end of that.  My only concern with this hack is that scum will find a way to grief people by somehow being able to remote-hack people's PS3s and the network in online games to remove their trophies (though this is extremely unlikely).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: January 14, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Adding and removing virtual trophies? The bastards! How could anyone bring themselves to do such a thing. I mean, they'll absolutely destroy everyone's gameplay experience by giving themselves trophies!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: January 14, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »
Adding and removing virtual trophies? The bastards! How could anyone bring themselves to do such a thing. I mean, they'll absolutely destroy everyone's gameplay experience by giving themselves trophies!

Like I said, my concern is that this will mutate into a way to harm the trophies of other legit players through online play or viruses distributed via PSN.  Otherwise, whatever.  The trophy system is just a way to mark your own achievement in a game and compare it with others on your friends list.  It's pretty obvious to tell when someone's using a hack like this, and you can just remove them from your friends list.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
There are some trophies that are pretty hard to get. I'm talking about things where you have to try like 100 times before you can get it, and others you get just from one in a million luck. It would be really devastating to have those trophies and then some asshole hacker come along and delete them from your account.

OTOH, if hackers start giving themselves these really hard to get trophies then that cheapens their value and is a bad thing for those who actually earned them the hard way. So either way, whether a hacker is using it to harm someone else or only to "help" themselves, its still doing harm. If anyone can give themselves the trophies without earning them then there is no longer any point to them and just ruins the whole thing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:59:51 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: January 14, 2011, 02:38:44 PM »
If anyone can give themselves the trophies without earning them then there is no longer any point to them and just ruins the whole thing.

Only if the reason behind trophies is to compare penis size. I would think that most people would at least try to pretend that it's about the challenge and personal achievement inherent in it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
You can't get rid of anyone else's trophies, and this has nothing to do with PSN. Also, this came out several months ago. It just unlocks the trophies for you as soon as you boot the game in questions, unless this is something different.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: January 14, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: January 15, 2011, 01:31:25 AM »
If anyone can give themselves the trophies without earning them then there is no longer any point to them and just ruins the whole thing.

Only if the reason behind trophies is to compare penis size. I would think that most people would at least try to pretend that it's about the challenge and personal achievement inherent in it.

Penises have nothing to do with it.
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: January 17, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »
So far, so good.

If this is in reference to what I think it is, it's more of a delay than a victory; lack of venue is easy enough to get around, if you have the resources to proceed in the proper venue.  Although reading the tortured logic in the Complaint re: venue is definitely worth a laugh!  "Bushing" might be proper, but the rest...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: January 24, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
It's getting better.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/geohot-lawyers-move-dismissal-78241/
Sony might be able to get another case against him (not sure if they can do that if the case gets dismissed) and take it to New Jersey, but this whole California thing is getting thrown in their face. It's also pretty hilarious that they're saying he violated the PSN TOS (which apparently is now a criminal offense?) and they've proven several times that George Hotz does not have a PSN account, and the one that Sony had assumed was his (also hilarious), "Geo1Hotz," is some 15 year old kid who lives in Rhode Island.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: January 24, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
This reminds me a bit of the DVD Johanson guy from about 10 years ago when he cracked the DVD security and all those lawyers and everything came after him...
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3190 on: January 24, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
It's getting better.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/geohot-lawyers-move-dismissal-78241/
Sony might be able to get another case against him (not sure if they can do that if the case gets dismissed) and take it to New Jersey, but this whole California thing is getting thrown in their face. It's also pretty hilarious that they're saying he violated the PSN TOS (which apparently is now a criminal offense?) and they've proven several times that George Hotz does not have a PSN account, and the one that Sony had assumed was his (also hilarious), "Geo1Hotz," is some 15 year old kid who lives in Rhode Island.

Nothing has changed. It's standard practice for anyone being sued to move for dismissal, it's the same way in criminal cases (the defense lawyer will almost always move to dismiss the case). The case is still going forward in California for the moment.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: January 24, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »
It's also pretty hilarious that they're saying he violated the PSN TOS (which apparently is now a criminal offense?)

It is not, and Sony is not claiming that it is.  However, the Terms of Service (apparently) include a term in which the consumer agrees to let Sony sue him/her in California.  You can give a court jurisdiction over you in several ways, even if you're from a different state; a contract is one such way.  Of course, those terms are rarely enforced in cases such as this, where the parties have grossly unequal bargaining power and the contract was an adhesion contract...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3192 on: January 24, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
Isn't the core of the case that the "hacker" never agreed to the TOS of PlayStation Network in the first place?

(Nearly put POS in there, which would be a completely different issue...)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: January 24, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
Isn't the core of the case that the "hacker" never agreed to the TOS of PlayStation Network in the first place?

(Nearly put POS in there, which would be a completely different issue...)

No.  You can establish jurisdiction in other ways, and the complaint itself alleges violations of several laws, not the Terms of Service.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: January 27, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
And now the TRO has been granted. Looks like the judge likes money. Oh well, George has had plenty of time to backup all of his stuff in the meantime.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3195 on: January 27, 2011, 01:46:53 PM »
You are so cynical. I look at it that the judge likes the law. If Sony wins the case, Hotz would have to be an idiot to try anything again because the punishment would be much worse.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: January 27, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
Which law would you be talking about?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: January 27, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »
Which law would you be talking about?

I would assume the DMCA.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: January 27, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
Looks like the judge likes money.

Don't they all? That's how we all got into the position where this is even an issue to begin with.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: January 27, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »
geohot arguably didn't violate the DMCA. We'll see what happens. Pretty coincidental that Sony released 3.56 firmware same day they announced the "NGP" don't ya think?