Author Topic: Yeah, Halo 3's been announced.  (Read 41118 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Yeah, Halo 3's been announced.
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »
The parallels between Warcraft and Starcraft come because both are based on Warhammer, Warcraft on Warhammer Fantasy, Starcraft on Warhammer 40,000 (Space Marines vs. Tyranids vs. Eldar). Those play in the same timeline.

Many recent games have borrowed from Warhammer's distinctly exaggerated imagery, most notably the Warcraft universe. The particular green-skinned Warhammer Orcs and Goblins have infiltrated games as diverse as Warcraft, Magic: The Gathering, and Mage Knight. Warcraft also features a creation story very similar to that of Warhammer, with a creator race being driven off by daemonic forces from a dimension of magic. --Wikipedia

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Yeah, Halo 3's been announced.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »
All I'm saying is that Bungie fans know that officially Halo and Marathon are unrelated, but they are wondering if they can use Bungie's previous treatment of "emergent" A.I.s as a guideline for what to expect from Halo 3.

Either way, I'm not a Bungie fan, I just ran across this discussion one time!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 11:21:06 AM »
well um, dual analog sucks
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 11:20:10 PM »
Obviously.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »
Anyone here planning on getting Halo 3? With the online 4 player co-op mode, even those of you who do not like online multiplayer should look into doing that. I just want to play with people I know. I haven't even played Halo 2 against people I know from the boards...

</whine>

Yes, can I have some cheese with my wine?

BTW, my Gamestop manager friend called me the other evening from Las Vegas. Todd McFarlane was there. They had him set up on a couch and the managers got to sit next to him and shoot the sh!t. He tried to call while he was sitting next to him, but I was away from the phone. But what the heck would I say to him over the phone? 'Thanks for giving action figures the shot in the arm they needed'? 'Thanks for getting Spawn off on a good foot, then ruining it from issue 19 on'? Still, I guess it would have been cool to say I spoke with him on the phone than not at all...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 07:44:35 PM »
Well, secret obvious Microsoft forum marketer Golden Phoenix said she was getting it, so there ya go. I will play it on my Cousin's 360, but He isn't online.  

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 03:25:02 PM »
I'm sure the game will set all sorts of milestones, but to be honest the much-vaunted terrain is kind of ugly- it all looks like high-resolution generic Terragen renders.

Nevertheless, I will definitely be picking up a copy for the PC (when they inevitably port it over...by then I should have a computer good enough to play it). Or maybe I'll find someone with a 360. I can't stand dual-analog, though, which is why I'm glad Microsoft is porting so many XBox games.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 04:44:34 PM »

Originally posted by: UERD
I'm sure the game will set all sorts of milestones

No. The fanboys will ACT like it sets all kind of milestones, but in actuality, it will all have been done before.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 05:02:37 PM »
lawl, you called my bluff. That was mostly insulation to deflect accusations of blatant fanboyism :P.

I vehemently hate console FPSes because of the limitations of the dual-analog, but I really think Nintendo (or a third party) should make a multiplayer-oriented sci-fi FPS. Just because of the controls, it'll be leaps and bounds above the competition.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 09:24:22 PM »
I find it really funny that the Halo 3 special edition Xbox 360 is no different from the 349.99 premium except for the ugly puke color, and yet it is $50 more and doesn't include the game!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »
Doesn't the Halo 3 XBox also only have a 20GB HD?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Doesn't the Halo 3 XBox also only have a 20GB HD?

Yep you are 200% right!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 08:52:22 AM »
It includes a Play and Charge kit and some Gamer pics. Hardly worth an extra $50, although I admit it I think the case looks awesome, but would stick out like a sore thumb. If it included the HDMI cable and say 12 months of Xbox Live as opposed to one, I'd say it's worth it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 11:21:54 AM »
I still don't see why anyone would buy it... Besides if said gamer was a Halo fanatic and as such had ordered the Legendary Halo 3 pack. I know I'd pick up the regular 360 Pro instead.

And I was thinking about this... You know how in Halo 3 it's possible to customize your armor? I REALLY hope they add in a helmet that looks like the Cobra Commander's. The 80's one with the silver helmet, not the new crappy one with the hood.

COBRA!!!
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot
I still don't see why anyone would buy it... Besides if said gamer was a Halo fanatic and as such had ordered the Legendary Halo 3 pack. I know I'd pick up the regular 360 Pro instead.

And I was thinking about this... You know how in Halo 3 it's possible to customize your armor? I REALLY hope they add in a helmet that looks like the Cobra Commander's. The 80's one with the silver helmet, not the new crappy one with the hood.

COBRA!!!

Hey now I bought the Legendary Edition because of that cool helmet! It was kind of funny this guy in 40s almost had an orgasm over some Halo 3 carry case and an action figure.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 04:54:02 PM »
So...I have Halo 3 (my buddy runs a local "Mom and Pop" store)...not that impressed. I got it mainly because my little brother loves Halo, and for the XBL multiplayer, which is non-existent until the game's release date it appears, so it was kind of pointless to get it early. I've never finished any other Halo games (though I think I'm on the last stage in Halo), but I read that this one only takes about 6 hours to finish, so I'll probably beat it before the release date.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
Wait, aren't you breaking the rules by having it now? I better turn you in!

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »
Was it better than MP3? (Obviously I'm not referring to multi, by the way...:P)
- thatguy

- vudu

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 04:21:17 AM »
Well if he's not that impressed, I guess the answer is no.

I like the Halo campaigns...when played in co-op mode.  I've heard a lot of so-so things about it from regular single players.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2007, 07:48:54 AM »
I can't play Co-op because you can't play on Live yet, either that or just not enough people have it already. It's decent, and the single player graphics are absolutely beautiful, but it's basically Halo 2 with a squad following you around...and the Arbiter.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2007, 09:15:38 AM »
Halo 3, meh.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
I can't play Co-op because you can't play on Live yet, either that or just not enough people have it already. It's decent, and the single player graphics are absolutely beautiful, but it's basically Halo 2 with a squad following you around...and the Arbiter.

And yet, it'll probably recieve scores just as high if not higher then the other Halo's from most places even though these same places deducted Metroid Prime 3 points for being similar to the other Primes.

It's going to be like 2004 all over again.  Halo 2 was not that different from the first Halo yet it's praised by everyone while Metroid Prime 2 which was similar to the first Metroid Prime gets condemned for being a rehash.  Even though in reality Metroid Prime 2 had more to seperate it from the first Prime game then Halo 2 did from the first Halo.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude

Originally posted by: Brandogg

And yet, it'll probably recieve scores just as high if not higher then the other Halo's from most places even though these same places deducted Metroid Prime 3 points for being similar to the other Primes.

It's going to be like 2004 all over again.  Halo 2 was not that different from the first Halo yet it's praised by everyone while Metroid Prime 2 which was similar to the first Metroid Prime gets condemned for being a rehash.  Even though in reality Metroid Prime 2 had more to seperate it from the first Prime game then Halo 2 did from the first Halo.

Heck Metroid Prime 3 has more to separate it from either of the previous two games than Halo 2 did from Halo 1.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2007, 10:45:16 AM »
That's the Nintendo difference... or really, double standard.

I'm okay with other games being rehashes. Good for them.

But a NINTENDO game should be more than that. It should be fresher, better, more innovative, more refined, more perfected, more surprising... and if it isn't, it's got no excuse. After all, it was developed by Nintendo (or a second party) and therefore can't hide behind the third party label.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2007, 11:00:09 AM »
So there are a bunch of user reviews (I don't know what's up Brandogg, you should be able to find someone) on metacritic and so far the average is 8.3 / 10.

So take what you want from that.
black fairy tales are better at sports