Author Topic: Getting a PS2  (Read 6590 times)

Getting a PS2
« on: February 28, 2003, 09:15:20 AM »
i'm getting a ps2 soon, and people have been telling me to either get Dragonball Z: Budokai or FF10, which one should i get?
AC Name: Felix (no space)
Town: Olympus (no space)

those who leave the war unscathed ar neither the powerful or the strong witted, they are the ones most devoted to the gods

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 10:25:13 AM »
FF10 definetly. Budokai, I've heard, is an average game at best, even if you're a huge DBZ fan. FFX is ozzoing with quality- one of my favorite RPG's.

I'd also suggest Ico- if you like Zelda's kind of puzzles, you'll love Ico, seriously. Incredibly ambient and atmospheric game and incredibly fun. Real short, though (took my a little more than 8 hours), so it's probably more of a rental than a buy.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Perfect Cell

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 04:11:15 PM »
FF10 is ok, id rather suggest Xenosaga  or Dark Cloud 2 wich is VERY similar to Zelda, also Guilty Gear XX, cause im a huge 2D fighting fan, i bought ti and its awesome.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 05:40:34 PM »
Xenosaga.  Simple as that.  The game is reason enough to own a PS2.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Getting a PS2
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 07:34:51 PM »
I thought Dark Cloud looked similar to Zelda from the commercials but it actually plays similar too?
If so, I'll be getting it!

I suggest FFX.  It will keep you entertained for over 100 hours at least.  (My file is 157 hours long)  
it was time for a change.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 01:54:47 AM »
How can you guys recommend Xenosaga when you haven't played it yet?

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2003, 02:05:18 PM »
I imported, damn good game, but it is slightly hit or miss.

Frequency is an awsome game, you must try it if you have friends....oh ya if you like that get DDR....and if you like DDR come to the arcades...and dance the night away.

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2003, 04:46:50 AM »
If you like action games deffinetly get Devil May Cry (dont get the sequel). Thats what Im getting when I buy ps2. Only $80 to go!
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2003, 04:24:16 PM »
Sly Cooper is a very fun platformer, and FFX looks okay, but I'm not a big RPG fan.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2003, 04:56:55 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
How can you guys recommend Xenosaga when you haven't played it yet?

Xenogears was good enough for me to say that.  It's by FAR the most anticipated game for me.  Too bad I can't play it though.  *sigh*

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2003, 07:10:51 PM »
Devil May Cry is my favorite game on the PS2, although I still hate that stupid camera.

Suikoden III is my highest recommendation when it comes to RPGs, followed by Dark Cloud 2.

Xenosaga has an amazing plot as well as very good gameplay, but there are way too many cut-scenes in the game. Video games are meant to be interacted with after all. Still a very good RPG though, would've probably been my favorite (maybe) if they didn't go nuts with the cut-scenes.

For fighting games my highest recommendation is Virtua Fighter 4, although it does have a higher learning curve than most fighting games. It has a very deep fighting engine and the training mode ain't to bad either although it'll only help to get you started.
I haven't played Guilty Gear X2 yet though, although it'll take a lot to top VF4

Offline Okiva77

• View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 05:21:40 AM »
I love my PS2 collection!

Rez
Ico
Silent Hill 2

Yeah i know its only 3 titles but hey when you spend a lot of you $$$ on GC games, well.
Rez, if you can find it, is an excellent if not too challenging shooting game with kickazz bass thumping music and trippy visuals, plus lots of unlockables.
Ico is one of my favourite games, but yes its way too short and on the easy side, but goldangit if it isnt one of the more prettier games to look at and behold. Very fun, very Zelda-ish--an "arthouse" game.
Silent Hill 2 is a great freakfest, typical SH play, lotsa vague horror mumbo jumbo, cheap thrills, disturbing imagery and f/x--fun.

AC info
Town:Zanzibar
Character:Johnny

"i'm walking through the desert, and i am not frightened
although it's hot.
i have all that i requested, and
i do not want what i haven't got."

(god bless you, sinead)

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2003, 10:54:01 AM »
Personally, I thought that Silent Hill 2 was far better than Eternal Darkness. It was just so much more scary, freaky, and the storyline was comparably deep. Despite it being very short (it took me about 9 1/2 hours) there are extras to get the second time through (CHAINSAW!).

I recommend:

Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City - There's lots of debate about just how good Vice City is, but I personally prefer it to GTAIII.
Final Fantasy X - Good looking, absorbing RPG. But way too easy and there is very little character variation later on in the game.
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec - If you like cars, there is only one game better than this, and that is GT2. An essential purchase all the same.
Devil May Cry - Stylish, action-packed, good looking, great playing game with extra lashings of cool. Another essential.
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Made the PS2 worth buying, as far as I'm concerned. Not quite as good as MGS1, but better looking and smoother all the same.
SSX Tricky - The best version of the best snowboarding game ever. One of the best racing games ever. I have played this game far more than I should have...
Silent Hill 2 - Freaky, disturbed game with excellent graphics, brilliant light effects and one of the best plots in any game I've ever played. And I played quite a few.
WipeOut Fusion - One of the best futuristic racing games yet, bettered only by WipeOut 2097 IMO.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Demonhunter

• View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2003, 07:10:03 AM »
Xenosaga = waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much cinematic for me. If you buy it be prepared to watch movies... LOTS of movies, i'm talking half-hour cutscenes. Its that much.  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 08:56:17 PM »
yea i read game informer and they claimed Xenosaga had 40 minute cinemas,
so that was the reason I didn't purchase it.

I have a question...did Square sell the Xenogears license to Namco
because everyone acts like it's a sequel to Xenogears but it's made
by an entirely different company.  (they probably did, and i feel stupid if thats the case... usually i'm up on all the gaming news)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Getting a PS2
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2003, 12:07:04 AM »
Xenogears was made by a section of Square that broke off a while back.  They formed Monolith Entertainment, and they changed the name and story of the game enough to keep from being sued by Square, but really it's a continuation of the same game.  Namco is the publisher for Monolith Entertainment.

Probably not 100% correct, but this is the story as I have heard it.