Author Topic: Sega was rumored to be bought by Nintendo?  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Perfect Cell

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sega was rumored to be bought by Nintendo?
« on: February 27, 2003, 06:46:19 PM »
http://www.gamers.com/news/1325695

Interesting that 1.Nintendo was rumored to be interested in Sega, 2. Sega is up for sale and 3. Sega as a Third Party seems to have failed.  

Offline Bishman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 06:53:07 PM »
I don't belive it.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 06:55:03 PM »
 in another post in a seperate thread someone said that Microsoft is rumored to be buying sega.  Of course, this shows us how much rumors are worth, nada.  If I were Nintendo, I would be interested in buying Sega too, if only for the Sonic the Hedgehog series, for myself anyway.
it was time for a change.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 06:56:11 PM »
Sega better know if MS bought them their woudl be loads of people who would be pissed. Thier collective fanbase is spread out on all consoles. If sega wants to be bought out they better have themselves bought out in peices. That is the most reasonable idea.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 07:11:11 PM »
This is pretty old. It was conifirmed that about a year before the release of the Gamecube in the US Nintendo and Sega were in talks. The New York Times among others reported it like it was almost a done deal. (Quite a few billion dollars were involved.) The talks just fizzed out. End of story..
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 07:17:34 PM »
Its not exactly old, it was reportedtoday  in MSNBC as well.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 12:31:12 AM »
Hmmm, i could have sworn i read somewhere that Microsoft and EA were fighting over Sega.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 12:38:59 AM »
But I read in a bikini catalogue today that Big W plan on buying Sega! It said they'll buy them out for 60 cents and a button, and Sega will either agree or eat cake by Monday. Gee, I hope they eat cake! Chocolate cake!
Then the men from Channel 9 will come along and go "Hey kid, you like telephones?" and I'll go "I ated the purple berry!"

C'mon, it's a bikini catalogue, it's gotta be true! They were the ones that said Beta would crush VHS! Hey, wait....

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 02:15:20 AM »
This link doesn't mention Nintendo in talks with Sega, but it's obvious now that being an independent 3rd party has NOT worked out. I hope that whomever merges or buys them out allows them to do keep doing their own thing and not drastically change the way they make games.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2003, 02:21:11 AM »
Mario, I heard the same thing. I was listening to the radio this moring (it was a news radio station run by CBS). They reported "Microsoft is working with Electronic Arts to buy all or part of Sega, the Japanese video game company famous for its Sonic the Hedgehog franchise." At first I was worried, but now I don't think it'll happen. Sega doesn't want to be a part of an American monopoly, righ? I mean who does?

Thought I should mention that they also reported that Billy Gates is only worth 40 billion as opposed to 100 billion in 1998. Poor guy. He might only have 20 million in a few years and be living in an AVERAGE mansion.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 04:44:46 AM »
If I were Sega I would never let M$ buy them, the Xbox in all honesty isn't doing that great, and what happens if the Xbox project were to be pulled.  Now I am not predicting this but I am just making a what if.  Also I don't see how Sega would be much of a use to EA.  
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 05:02:36 AM »
Nintendork SP--They wouldn't be much use to EA, but certainly some of their franchises such as Sonic are looking mighty attractive. This is why I'm hoping against all odds that whomever aquires Sega allows them to keep pretty the same level of autonomy as they have now. I think Nintendo and probably Microsoft woulddo that, while EA wouldn't have too much of an issue with gutting the company.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 06:08:22 AM »
If (and I stress if,) Sega is going to be bought out and become a Second Party developer, I pray to sweet Lord Jesus that Nintendo buys them.  I think Nintendo would give Sega the most freedom with their games. Besides, Nintendo has already deveoloped the Triforce with Sega, and let Sega make the new F-Zero.  And F-Zero looks to be a great game, demontrating Sega's and Nintendo's good working relationship.  With their tag-team power on their franchises, we could expect to see some impressive results.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2003, 11:38:20 AM »
I'm not a mighty Sega fan, but their games are fun, and if anyone buys them, I hope it's Nintendo.

And I doubt EA has the money to buy them, but that's just a guess.  Plus it's not clear how long XBOX will hold out. . . one more console might do it in, and then Rare and all would be free to roam again.  Not to say that I like Rare, though.  Hate Rare, but Sega good.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2003, 07:02:55 AM »
Billy Gates 60 billion?? Last thing i remember it was 6! lol! I guess I'm insane! If there was some way for M$ to buy Sega and Nintendo to buy Sonic Team, but isn't Sonic Team pretty much the only reason Sega is, well, Sega??
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my