Author Topic: Dreamcast games  (Read 15027 times)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2003, 04:20:13 PM »
Very true- Xtreme is just something to tie us over for when Game Arts makes Grandia III.

I'd love to play the original Grandia- I've actually been planning on picking it up off EBay or something for a while but never quite got around to it.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline rpglover

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2003, 05:04:26 PM »
yeah grandia 1 was on both psx and saturn
i would suggest getting it on saturn if you could (probably expensive now but runs a little better than the psx version)
you could probably find it for psx at a gamestop or eb (i found mine at eb)
personally i liked grandia 2 more but grandia was a great game
characters were good, story was very well done, and the graphics were pretty good for the time
everything is in 2d but it has the same battle system (although a little sluggish compaired to xtream or even 2)
i highly suggest it if you can get it- i found it to be a good game
i call the big one bitey.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2003, 09:37:05 PM »
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People who love grandia as much as I.

I played 2 for so long, my only breaks were bathroom ones.  i didn't sleep while i owned the game.  It truly was the best ever.  Such a cool fighting system.  And the religous themes were so incredibly powerful.  Also the song that the main girl sings is really cool.  LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT.

I let my friend borrow it and she broke it..........WHYYYYyyyyyyyYYYYYYYYYYyyyyYYYy????
anyway, yes it is great.  Havent played EXtreme,  heard it is good, but dont have a PS2, so i will wait till the future when they rae duirt cheap.

Good night.

If an RPG has no love story, itll hit the wall.  Grandia still has my favorite love story.  And i felt so bad for millenia.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2003, 03:28:56 AM »
I got my copy of Grandia II with a soundtrack included (I actually think that came standard)- really good. I lvoed that soundtrack.

I know how you fealt while playing the game- Grandia II holds my record for second longest gaming marathon of roughly 16 hours straight- Ionly stopped to eat when I was really hungry and to go to the bathroom. My longest gaming marathon ever was 18 hours for Ocarina of Time.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2003, 03:18:17 PM »
After the Dreamcast died, I had often considered getting one as my first (and last) non-Nintendo console.  The problem was that all the games on it that I might want to play are available (or will be) on GameCube.  About the only Dreamcast game left that I might want to play is Shenmue or Space Channel 5.  Space Channel 5 kind of weirds me out though, and I don't really know if it's good or not as I haven't played it.  I played a little bit of Shenmue II at a friend's house, and it looked completely uninteresting to me, and I have heard many stories about the game, either saying it was extremely good or extremely boring.  I think I would think it was boring, but I would like to find out for myself by playing it for more than 15 minutes.

Alas it seems I will never get to play either game, but really, I am not going to buy the system for 2 games that I may or may not like.  I am perfectly happy with GameCube ports for the rest.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2003, 07:56:45 PM »
yeah grandia 2 was one of the only rpgs i played again for the fun of it
i must have played through it at least 5 times (which is a lot for any rpg)
the only other rpgs i replayed that much were earthbound and chrono trigger
grandia 1 was fun but i just didnt like it as much as the first
the reason i love grandia 2 so much is just the fact it has great characters, story, and can be played through fast
so whats everyones fastest time to beat grandia 2- mine was 15:25 with playing most of the battles

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2003, 08:21:35 PM »
to be honest, my goal in rpgs is to level up as high as i can, so when i start the second time, i usually don't stop till i am like lvl 90.  I lover powering upo my Ryodo, brings a tear to me eye.  So the shortest time was when i first beat it, but i cant remember anymore.  It took awile, i love dilly-dallying in rpgs.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2003, 06:33:46 AM »
yeah i usually level up as high as can be my first time through but later times i just blast through it
but i do save at important (and touching) parts to the story line
especially including: sky's revalation to elana of ryudo's past, when ryudo must fight melfice for the second time, when ryudo goes to elmo to eliminate the horns of valmar, mareg's sacrifice

i have more but i felt those were the big touching moments in the game

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2003, 09:42:17 AM »
Hehe- in Grandia II, I had been playing for about 12 hours total and got up to the Eyes of Valmar (those 3 eye mini bosses before the actual Eye of Valmar). I tried so many times but I could never beat them. I stopped playing the game for a month or so then finally came back. I spent the next several hours leveling EVERYONE up 10 levels. Needless to say, those pesky eyes were no problem after that. It kind of made the rest of the game easy, though.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2003, 10:03:28 PM »

Originally posted by: novastar512
Also alot of what I have people have already mentioned.  I only wish I bought Shenmue II, European version.

if you liked Shenmue, you'll love Shenmue II.  Get. This. Game.
Grey Ninja, Shenmue is not a game you can play for 15 mins to tell if you'll like it.  you have to play it for a couple of hours.  it does get boring in places, but what's so good about it far outweight the bad.

i also really liked Grandia II.  awesome battle system i never got bored of.  i couldn't stop playing the game and was always itching to get into battle all the time.  my only gripe against the game was the dungeons.  there wasn't much puzzles and were straight forward.   and the game was a bit easy.  the only battle i lost was eyes of valmar, which was once.

did anyone love the battle theme?  especially Fight!! Version 3?  a very catchy theme and i recorded it onto my computer via my capture device.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2003, 02:29:56 AM »

Originally posted by: AiAi

Originally posted by: novastar512Grey Ninja, Shenmue is not a game you can play for 15 mins to tell if you'll like it.  you have to play it for a couple of hours.  it does get boring in places, but what's so good about it far outweight the bad.

Yeah, I said that I would have liked to give it a longer chance, but really, that opportunity probably will not come.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2003, 04:22:09 PM »
"did anyone love the battle theme? especially Fight!! Version 3? a very catchy theme and i recorded it onto my computer via my capture device."

i liked the main battle theme the most (version 1) - it was really catchy and got you in the mood to do some battling i thought
personally i loved the music to the game and downloaded all of it to my computer
and elana's song was really touching- i forget exactly what it was called but it played at the title screen with no vocals
with the vocals it was just plain amazing
i guess as you guys can see i love grandia 2 as most people should

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2003, 04:15:05 AM »

Originally posted by: rpglover
and elana's song was really touching- i forget exactly what it was called but it played at the title screen with no vocals with the vocals it was just plain amazing

the song was "A Deus"

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2003, 09:04:22 AM »
thanks aiai- i couldnt think of that name for some reason

Offline BobbyRobby

• View Profile
Dreamcast games
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2003, 12:04:03 AM »
Someone already said it on this thread, but I must reiterate that Project Justice is a must buy if you like fighting games.

For RPGs, there's the obligatory SoA, but you might as well buy the enhanced version to support RPGs on the GC.  Grandia II is also available, which is good, but I wouldn't consider it as good as Grandia I.  The dungeons just got tedious after a point, and the story just wasn't as good in my opinion.  Aside from the big two, there's the Evolutions, but again, they made it to the GC.  I guess you could also buy the Sega Smash Pack to get Shining Force and Phantasy Star II.

"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
                               ~Viktor N' Flik