Author Topic: Rev to feature 12GB custom discs?  (Read 7344 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Rev to feature 12GB custom discs?
« on: December 01, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »
From the latest Revo-Europe (formerly Cube-Europe) mailbag.

Which kind of storage medium do you think the Revolution is going to use? Since I've read great things about Sony's Blu-Ray disc.
Richard, 16

The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future.

It's possible that this may have been a typo, since Nintendo said they're going to use 12cm discs. But he does say "capacity" specifically. Or maybe it was a misunderstanding.

Either way, it does seem likely, since you can cram in more storage with custom discs than you can with the standard ones (GameCube notwithstanding). Sega managed to get 1GB out of CDs that were 700MB at the time. DVD9 (Xbox360's format, and the Rev's previously leaked/misquoted/rumored format) has just under 9GB, FYI.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Rev to feature 12GB custom discs?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 02:51:16 PM »
well for every centimeter you get a gig
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
RE:Rev to feature 12GB custom discs?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 02:57:56 PM »
Sounds promising..
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 04:46:56 PM »
As long as this doesn't make games more expensive and DVD9 for movies is still supported, it seems like a good idea. Hopefully homebrew games from DVD9s won't be locked out though. Of course, I'm taking this with a grain o' NaCl, as usual.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 04:49:16 PM »
I'd like Nintendo to adopt the 1 TB discs...I forgot where I read about them but since they're practically a generation above HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, Nintendo wouldn't have to worry about piracy if it really became a standard several years down the road.

Not that anyone would NEED a whole terabyte, but I'd like for people to not make excuses about Nintendo's format never holding as much as the competition.  With a full terabyte, you could easily laugh at a measley 50-100 GB or whatever it is that Blu-Ray will be.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely.  Probably unnecessary and too costly to be worth it.  But it would still be nice.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 06:38:05 PM »
...and here I thought the N64 generation of paying $59.00 on up for games was over.  I noticed that the XBOX 360 games are that high now.  I was just loving the $49.00 mark.  I've got more GCN games (60 GCN vs. 35 N64) than any of my previous Nintendo consoles...all due to price.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 07:13:50 PM »
How ironic for the system that doesn't support high definition to have a larger capacity disc than a system that does, and claims to need more. Guess this is one of those trade offs where instead of getting the prettiest graphics we get the most content (third party willing, of course).  
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:18:49 PM »
The GameCube's proprietary version of a mini-DVD has the same capacity as a mini-DVD. The Xbox 360's DVD9 has the same capacity as the PS2's dual-layer DVDs now. It's possible, but I'm going with your first interpretation.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:12:31 AM »
The author doesn't know what he's talking about.

Nintendo hasn't said anything about the storage capacity. My guess is a plain 4.7GB or 9GB capacity since that's the least complex way to maintain compatibility with Cube games and DVDs.

It's also not possible for "more DVD standards to be supported in the future" since there are physical differences between the standards. You can't remove a DVD dongle and replace it with a theoretical blu-ray one. The entire drive would have to be replaced because the equipment is different.
"wow."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:41:21 AM »
Cube-Europe loves to repeat rumours as facts.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 03:43:37 AM »
Does anyone know when and where Miyamoto is supposedly giving a speech today?
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 05:19:47 AM »
If that's true, I think I might have a joygasm.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 05:22:17 AM »
well one time perrin kapplan say an hd-dvd..and then  backtracked on what she said.

Offline majortom1981

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 06:55:12 AM »
Maybe its a propriatary disc ?

They did it before with the game cube.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 09:03:04 AM »
Perrin referred to them as "high definition games" but I'm pretty sure she didn't specify a standard. Neither disc standard is necessary to have HD games... but we're not getting HD games in any case. So she was wrong, yes.

There's no doubt it'll be proprietary. Cube discs are still somewhat based on existing standards. They're basically just mini-DVDs but with registration marks along the inside margin and game data only on the second layer.

Using an abnormal storage capacity isn't impossible... I just wouldn't peg it as likely. But I guess we'll see.  
"wow."

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 10:40:46 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
With a full terabyte, you could easily laugh at a measley 50-100 GB or whatever it is that Blu-Ray will be.

Blu-Ray is approximately 24GB, but if it's two-sided or dual-layered the max is approximately 50GB. So I guess that if these 1TB discs exist then they are using the Green part of the spectrum to burninate them, cool, that's good news.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 06:45:24 PM »

I'd like Nintendo to adopt the 1 TB discs...I forgot where I read about them but since they're practically a generation above HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, Nintendo wouldn't have to worry about piracy if it really became a standard several years down the road.

Not that anyone would NEED a whole terabyte, but I'd like for people to not make excuses about Nintendo's format never holding as much as the competition. With a full terabyte, you could easily laugh at a measley 50-100 GB or whatever it is that Blu-Ray will be.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely. Probably unnecessary and too costly to be worth it. But it would still be nice.

Highlighted the part that was practical.

So I guess that if these 1TB discs exist then they are using the Green part of the spectrum to burninate them, cool, that's good news.

It uses a combination of blue-green and red lasers to get the holographic image.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 06:50:01 PM »
1TB discs are projected to cost LESS than $1000 by 2010! Sounds like a deal to me!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 09:39:51 PM »
Yeah, and with a terabyte, you could fit all of revolution's games onto one disk! The system -  200$. The game disk - 1000$. What a steal!  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2005, 09:31:35 AM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
The author doesn't know what he's talking about.

Nintendo hasn't said anything about the storage capacity. My guess is a plain 4.7GB or 9GB capacity since that's the least complex way to maintain compatibility with Cube games and DVDs.

It's also not possible for "more DVD standards to be supported in the future" since there are physical differences between the standards. You can't remove a DVD dongle and replace it with a theoretical blu-ray one. The entire drive would have to be replaced because the equipment is different.

you can't replace it with Blu-ray one, but you could replace it with a VMD one

(VMD) Versatile Multilayer Disc

uses current red-laser tech and only needs a sofware upgrade.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 06:02:58 PM »
A terabyte disc? Dude. That's 1,000 Gigabytes. That's 250 standard DVDs worth of content. Overkill. Every Gamecube game ever made combined doesn't even add up to 1 terabyte.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2005, 06:22:33 PM »
maybe it will be some proprietary disk that is somewhere between blue-ray and dvd9..just to one-up ms in storage space.

imagine...."this game couldnt be made for xbox 360 because it doesnt have enough space. We used revolution as the base console because it was easier to aim at space then either ps3 or 360."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 07:00:16 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
maybe it will be some proprietary disk that is somewhere between blue-ray and dvd9..just to one-up ms in storage space.

imagine...."this game couldnt be made for xbox 360 because it doesnt have enough space. We used revolution as the base console because it was easier to aim at space then either ps3 or 360."

Did you miss my post on VMD's or what? upto 50 gb on red laser tech using existing DVD drives only needing a software upgrade & its fully backwards compatible with standard DVD.  Not to mention that it cost just as much to manufacture as DVD 9 does today.

Am I the only one that sees this tech or something similar to it as the most-likely scenario?

Offline Epitaph

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2005, 08:16:41 PM »
The 1 terrabyte disc is hollographic memory. It was made by maxel http://www.maxell-usa.com/Content/Pages/Page.asp?Section=pressreleases&department=maxellusa_pr&Line=datapr&Open=datapr41.

Heres some good articles explaining how it works
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/holographic-memory.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_memory

Its very unlikely that it uses that as others have pointed out.

I think it must be some kind of feedback that lets you know when you hit something and allows it not to mess up the game.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2005, 10:08:24 PM »

More like....

Game studio: "We made this game exclusively for xbox 360 in spite of it's low storage space because we felt that it provided the best environment to suit our creative needs."
Reporter: "Um...excuse me,  is that hat you're wearing made out of money?
Game studio: "Why yes. Yes it is."
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon