Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots  (Read 43311 times)

Offline WesDawg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 12:58:59 PM »

It looks nice, and I might get a PS3, but it won't be for that game alone.

It's not ingame, but its real-time. So they don't show what it will be like to play it, just what a real-time rendered cutscene might look like, which is really pretty. The ingame stuff I'm sure will look great, but I have a feeling that it will also look a lot like MGS3 with higher-res models and textures. Afterall, they can't zoom in to show you the logos on Snake's outfit every 30seconds during gameplay, so in the end, who really cares that they're there?

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »

Originally posted by: WesDawg
Afterall, they can't zoom in to show you the logos on Snake's outfit every 30seconds during gameplay, so in the end, who really cares that they're there?

Hmm there are a few reasons why a very detailed character would be great in a MGS game.  HD resolutions will allow for more details like this to be seen even if the camera isn't actually zoomed right up on the character.  Also, with MGS games (from what I know because I'm no expert) there is quite a few cutscenes focusing on the main character and when you are peeking around a corner the camera is zoomed right up on the character.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 10:04:48 AM »
Resurrecting this thread as the new trailer is damn fine. Link to low-res (but 100MB) trailer.  Raiden's looking sassy as ever.  Who knows when I'll have access to a PS3 to play this game. It's the only game Sony has that's any worth to me, and it's the only game that is really justified within the "HD generation." Absolutely beautiful.

Anyone have a high-res version? (PM if you have to.) Thanks.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 10:44:02 AM »
These games are just too much watching for me to enjoy.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2006, 11:12:27 AM »
Wii Ping Pong FTW
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:01 AM »
This is the best looking game I've seen so far as graphics go. I'm a MGS fan, but I don't think its enough to make me buy a PS3.  
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 12:28:46 AM »
I'll wait for the Nintendo port from Silicon Knights...
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 05:57:12 AM »
Technically speaking the graphics are really good, but I find them so unapealling for some reason... maybe is the overall "greenish" tone of the game, kind of like the "brownish" tone of RE4.

As for the game itself, I was bored to death with Metal Gear Solid, am I an evil man? I couldnt like it, and I like a lot stealth gameplay, Thief is my favorite first person game on PC, but while playing Metal Gear Solid I had to drop it because I couldnt stand it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 06:30:23 PM »
Mantidor, I have to agree, I too have grown tired for the MGS series. I tried to play MGS3 but couldn't get into it, it is like I am playing the exact same game but with a different story and more endless cutscenes.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline dack25

• I NEED TO READ THE AVATAR RULES PROBABLY
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 11:09:38 AM »
I'm looking forward to MGS4 but I'll probably wait until they come out with the deluxe version of the game since the PS3 might be cheaper by then.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 02:13:35 PM »
True dat. Higher-res download at GameTrailers.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 08:36:39 AM »
So I just saw the gameplay footage from the 20th anniversary metal gear event.

(Click here to view).

Holy mother of god what boring footage. Sorry I mean I liked Metal Gear and all and the graphics look really nice but . . . it just looks so dull. Also Snake seems to like grabbing mens privates X_X.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 08:42:36 AM »
Hey, it's Metal Gear, what did you expect? =3
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
I don't know what you fanbois are talking about, the game looks absolutely amazing. The UI seems to be very well thought out, particularly the grenade guides and the one-button-camo, not to mention absolutely gorgeous, given the way that circle that I suppose denotes Snake's environment, given how that's an actual animated, textured feature, one that manages to not break your emersion while still maintaining a level of game-necessary abstraction.

The game's set-up (the rise of privatized, contracted, militaries for nations to hire) is genius, especially with the middle eastern setting. I'll admit that I didn't think so at first, but it's warmed to me exceedingly fast. The setting is incredibly relevant and, especially for US players, brings up a real subconscious moral delimma over which side to help: the western forces or the out-gunned, non-professional, home-town militia, who also lack the eerily artificial and eerily inhuman automated systems that the PMCs have.

... I actually wish somebody made an exact clone of this game for the Wii. Except with vastly downgraded graphics. Although the graphics help really sky rocket this game into an immersive, near-cinematic experience (which I grudgingly admit seems to succeed here), the gameplay systems that trailer showed aren't dependent at all on graphics, the game seems to have lots of work put solidly in design.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »
I watched that footage as well and it's fine.
I mean, graphically, it's not that revolutionary or anything (heck, some 360 games look much better) and the gameplay is classic MGS, except for a few new moves.
If I ever get a PS3, I'll probably get this game but it's no killer-app to me that I would buy the system for.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
Yeah the graphics looked beautiful but I dunno, like his shoes don't change with the ground. It makes the AI seem dumb. Also how would you not notice him in the corner in that one scene? He didn't look like he was blending in.

I dunno good concepts but it didn't seem all too believable.

Some of the AI seemed like it needs work IMHO.

Also I couldn't help but think of Peppy Hare saying "DO A BARREL ROLL!" when Snake . . . well barrel rolled.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 10:22:52 AM »
"Yeah the graphics looked beautiful but I dunno, like his shoes don't change with the ground. It makes the AI seem dumb."

Ahaha..."I don't recall leaving a pair of shoes here...Oh well..."
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
On the newest trailer on PSN they talk about Liquid Snake needing killed and you have Solid Snake going to kill him but he can barely move in a war zone.  The man looks like he's a threat to no one.  Delay their plans a month and Snakes out of the equation.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
On the newest trailer on PSN they talk about Liquid Snake needing killed and you have Solid Snake going to kill him but he can barely move in a war zone.  The man looks like he's a threat to know one.  Delay their plans a month and Snakes out of the equation.

o_O

Offline tiamat1990

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »
I didn't like a lot of what I saw, I pretty much drooled over the past three Metal Gear Solid games but this one...I'm hoping that all the problems I saw was due to it being an early build.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 02:41:28 AM »
They have new Gameplay Trailer up.  It looks interesting but as I mentioned early I still don't see the point.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 06:53:54 AM »
Yes, this game will single handedly save the PS3 from failure. Weeks before it comes out there will be a great rumbling among the game reviewers, as if a great storm is approaching the shore; a great whale lunges toward the ship at the upmost speed. It will hit with a resounding smash and none will be prepared for it even within the journalistic community. Within weeks it will be declared as the finest work of videogames that has ever been created. Within months, modern art. Within time, all art. This will be a game never to be forgotten, because how could something such as this ever be forgotten?

That is what they will scream from their balconies as they take their lives because there is no more left for them in this world. There is no life and death without MGS4. MGS4 is all. And when it ends, they will be hollow and empty, mere husts of mortal flesh waiting to rot into the incumbent ground. Your flesh burns, do you hear me? There is nothing left for you once you have finished MGS4. There will be no sequel. Because nothing will matter once its conclusion is reached. Those that do not replay it will immediately fall lifeless to the floor. Their pathetic, meaningless existances ushered to a higher plane by something of true value and worth.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2007, 07:06:45 AM »
So, yeah, but does it have loli?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2007, 07:21:23 AM »
Two things will survive the MGS4 armageddon: Cockroaches and Lolis.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2007, 08:56:34 AM »
Sat thru the 15 minutes of lameness.

Enemy AI hasn't evolved [still dumb, still blind] yet they continue to make Snake even more capable/playable/advantageous, yet not as exciting as he is in cutscenes.

The FPS style gameplay looks typical and manageable [nice to see Kojima is still a generation late as far as controls go; dual-analoging last gen, and first-person aiming in an adventure game in Zelda64 a generation before] and should prove to be wildly empowering since enemies are inept.

Gamers need trajectory guidelines for grenades now?  What is this, 3D Action Billiards for MS-DOS?  Oh right, people were spoiled with SOCOM.

I get the impression Wii-version-Leon could clean up that stage in less than 30 seconds.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.