Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots  (Read 43310 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
Well, I like to watch.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
Can you find the cinemas online somewhere like youtube?  Because I would love to watch the game and see if it is as bad as everyone is saying.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »
There was Berklee that compiled Twin Snakes, Sons of Libery, and Snake Eater. That site is gone though. Ought to be someone else stepping up and capturing all the footage.

Also, what bad is everyone saying? Other than it being long, convulted, confusing, and/or redundant.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2008, 04:41:39 AM »
There was Berklee that compiled Twin Snakes, Sons of Libery, and Snake Eater. That site is gone though. Ought to be someone else stepping up and capturing all the footage.

Also, what bad is everyone saying? Other than it being long, convulted, confusing, and/or redundant.

My main problem with it, is that the gameplay is kind of archaic now. For example, even the games physic laws make no sense, not to mention many of the environments are quite blah and way too "man made" and square in their design. One example of messed up physic laws is during one sequence where you have to go up a "hill" (though it is designed like a multi level platform even though it is supposed to be an organic hill), well for some odd reason Snake cannot jump 1 ft up to grab onto the next level, yet he can easily pull himself up if he falls off a ledge. Heck even the average person could make this particular climb but Snake cannot, instead you need to continue walking until the top level curves down enough for you get onto it. It is silly and does not belong in a so-called next generation game.  So in conclusion Level Design is average at best, and the visuals are a mixed bag.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2008, 05:36:15 PM »
the visuals are a mixed bag.

wat

Some textures are ugly, like I said the ground does not look realistic with conveniently placed (and cheesy) looking grass. The land is too man made looking and has stuff like conveniently designed paths to go up. Then you have slowdown in both the gameplay sections and the cutscenes. So yes the visuals are overrated.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
The tech is impressive, but it just exposes holes where not as much attention was put into it.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »
The tech is impressive, but it just exposes holes where not as much attention was put into it.

It seems they put the most work in the models and the rest is a mixed bag.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
Personally I would rate this game an 8.0/10, and with MGO I would give an extra half point, so it's an 8.5/10 because it is far from having a minimal amount of defects to be considered a game in the realm of the Caliban hall of fame for videogames.

Of all the boss fights I only liked the last two with screaming mantis, and liquid ocelot.

*sigh*

I think Kojima, and Payton (I think that's his name) tried way too hard with this game, or at least they could have needed one more year, if not more, for polishing the game in terms of character gameplay mechanics, cinematics, environmental gameplay mechanics, more original boss fights, a better and strealined online registration system, etc...