Author Topic: Total Xbox Losses?  (Read 8582 times)

Offline muzein

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« on: February 19, 2003, 05:50:08 AM »
First off,this is NOT intended to be a flame.  I understand why the Xbox is consting MS and that they can handle it,etc etc etc.  I have a freind who is arguing with me when I tell him MS is losing alot on the Xbox,and I would just like to know the total $ losses so far.  Also,if you know what MS had predicted for losses,post that to.  Ill need a link also,since my freind wont beleive forum goers

Offline David G

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 06:06:57 AM »
And what does this have to do with gamecube....?? IBTL!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 07:14:12 AM »

And what does this have to do with gamecube....?? IBTL!

it has nothing to do with the gamecube.  which is why it's in the 'other systems' forum.
gee, it makes sense, in a weird kinda way.

and to answer the original question, i've heard all sorts of numbers ranging up to the hundreds of millions of dollars.  but i haven't heard anything that has any solid figures to back it up, so your guess is as good as mine.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline David G

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 07:51:25 AM »
This was in the gamecube forum, it was moved by a mod...ASS

Offline David G

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 07:56:34 AM »
and to answer the question, Microsoft is not divulging the loss on their consoles.  It is speculated at about $100 U.S. per console though.

Offline muzein

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 08:20:07 AM »
Ok thanks for the replys. Sorry I posted in Gamecube boards at first,but David,you might wanna check your blood pressure.

Offline David G

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 08:25:36 AM »
yeah...I'll get right on that.  

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 02:15:26 PM »
just an observation, if you find a thread that doesn't belong in its current forum category, why not just let a mod know? I don't see how telling the poster is going to help much, since he/she won't be able to move the thread.
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline David G

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 02:57:30 PM »
Why don't you leave the lectures for the mods...just an observation.

Offline muzein

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 03:19:19 PM »
David: Anger Management

Offline David G

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 05:40:55 PM »
okay smart guy

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2003, 08:12:03 PM »
$350,000,000 a year and climbing.

Here's a link:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2910097,00.html

As for some speculation, the XBox is supposed to lose about $100 per unit, and last I heard I think they were saying they were up to 8 million units sold worldwide. But console makers are supposed to make about $10 on each game sold, and the XBox game sale ratio is about 5:1, so they might make about $50 a unit on the software.

So that averages them out to losing maybe $50 (American, of course) on each XBox. Meaning $400 million in losses on the XBox so far. But that $350 million figure above was for just this year. Reportedly Microsoft is hiding other money losses inside the XBox's department. The rumor is that they're making big cash payouts to help keep a secret "well known major Japanese developer" (most likely Sega) afloat.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline i_roma

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 05:52:09 PM »
I'm sad to say that:

MicroSoft's  Net earning for the 12 month period ending in Dec 2002 was $9,541 Mil.
MicroSoft's  Net Earning for the 12 month period ending in Dec 2001 was $6,083 Mil.

I don't think they would have a problem losing a couple of millions on the x-box if they have a slight chance to domenate the market   Plus they generate lots of money from other divisions and other investments which would make the xbox loss to them nothing

Offline dumdum

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »

Originally posted by: i_roma
I'm sad to say that:

MicroSoft's  Net earning for the 12 month period ending in Dec 2002 was $9,541 Mil.
MicroSoft's  Net Earning for the 12 month period ending in Dec 2001 was $6,083 Mil.

I don't think they would have a problem losing a couple of millions on the x-box if they have a slight chance to domenate the market   Plus they generate lots of money from other divisions and other investments which would make the xbox loss to them nothing

Thats the first thing he said, that he knew that, and he just wanted to know the losses on the xbox.

Well i dont think they have given out that info. But right now i think that they lost around 100 Million on the whole gaming deperment. Wich aslo includes all the PC games. And knowing the games for MS on the PC then all the losses had to come from the box and prolly its more than that. And i think this includes all the buy out and everything. Oh by the way, i belive this doesnt include the live network since they used around 2 billion dollars on that.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 06:53:05 PM »
I think someone needs to infiltrate MS and report t the stockholders about how much of their money is being wasted.    (Ken Lobb?  )
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 10:54:39 PM »
Are you saying that a Klobb is powerful enough to kill Microsoft? Seriously though, I am not too concerned about all this as long as I am not attacked by fanboys.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline dumdum

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 10:13:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
I think someone needs to infiltrate MS and report t the stockholders about how much of their money is being wasted.    (Ken Lobb?  )

I think that they already know that MS is "wasting" money on the box. But for some reason when MS "wastes" more money on it and then the stockholders see what was the money for they seem to support it. waird ain it

But i still dont think theyll release the info on theyll realses that particular info.

heres a site for over all losses on the gaming dep.

here

I couldnt find the one i was looking for but it should be in either nov 2002, dec 2002, or jan, feb 2003
Look for it if you like.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2003, 04:36:26 PM »
Microsoft sponsoring a summer lifeguar program still cracks me up. I think I am going to start the AMS (AntiMicrosoft) club for the further continuation of computers.

The only real reason is to make a joke ala Hugo N. Frye of olden times.

Offline dmcollin

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2003, 08:27:05 AM »
Well since i own stock in the company i tend to keep up with their finacials (although i was so pissed when they entered the console market)
I know in 2001 they lost $170 mil in their first three months, they were expected to lose about $750 mil by last june, and $1.1 bil by this june.
I think they have been keeping their actual loses on the xbox mum lately since most believe by the end of 2003 they could lose up to $2 bil because of the xbox live.
Personally i think it is terrible business, because i don't think that they will be able to take over sony with the next generation of consoles nor will nintendo lose since it is more finacially responsible and have their franchises which are invaluable.

Offline Jirachi

• View Profile
Total Xbox Losses?
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2003, 03:44:40 PM »
To say that M$ has a lot of money is nonsense. M$ said they would spend over 10 billion on xbox. 350 mill is a small faction of that. To other companies it may be a  lot but it really isn't to them. They knew they would lose money on xbox, the point of xbox was to pave the path for xbox2 and is successors.