Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 heading to Playstation 2  (Read 37309 times)

Offline Xenplan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Resident Evil 4 heading to Playstation 2
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/pdf_page/e041101.html

The link says it all, folks.  While I'm glad that other people will be able to enjoy this...I hope it won't be too downgraded; also, from what I can recall, Mikami is not going to be too pleased...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil 4 heading to Playstation 2
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 05:18:54 PM »
Somehow I'm not surprised.

At least the delay is a year long, although it wouldn't surprise me if that got shortened down too.

I bet the PS2 version has extra features.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 05:30:12 PM »
You get to play as Leon "Blurry Blockman" Kennedy.

*thumbs up*
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 06:01:47 PM »
The fact that it says 'which is one of our million seller titles' is questionable, at the minimum.  Other than the date at the top, it indicates that this might have been intended to be revealed at a later date.

And if this really is true, I believe this would be in violation of Capcom's contract with Nintendo.  Of course I don't know the specifics, but I'd imagine that Nintendo would've demanded a secrecy clause, which would last AT LEAST until the game is released.  I mean, what's the point of holding it exclusive, if everyone already knows it'll be on another console.  The idea is you want people to buy your system, while they assume the game will be for it only.  Now that people know differently, they feel no pressure to get another system, instead they can just wait.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 08:54:03 PM »
Yeah, breach of contract. Nintendo could sue Capcom for that. Considering that Capcom has ported all of the games they promised to Nintendo to the PS2 I don't think there's much of a relationship to sever (or Nintendo could hire away Mikami... now THAT would be retribution).

Paladin: Of course it will have extra features. Sony doesn't allow for late ports without extra features.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 06:13:31 AM »
Capcom Bighat:  Ok, next on the agenda...Resident Evil 4 will be ported to the PS2...
Mikami: Wait, what?  Promise?  To Nintendo?
Capcom Bighat:  Promise?  WHAT PROMISE?  All I see are these big boxes of money labelled "Sony"
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 heading to Playstation 2
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 06:29:49 AM »
Wow, I'm genuinely suprised. It seems like only a few months ago that Capcom was stating that GCN is and always will be GCN exclusive.

Oh, wait, it was only moths ago.
Yeah, breach of contract. Nintendo could sue Capcom for that. Considering that Capcom has ported all of the games they promised to Nintendo to the PS2 I don't think there's much of a relationship to sever

If only it was that simple. There are plenty of 'breaches of contract' that are perfectly legal because they exploit a loophole or because the contract runs out. Vice City 'exclusive' to PS2? Dare I say it, PSX for the SNES?
(or Nintendo could hire away Mikami... now THAT would be retribution).

Puhlease, give me a break. Mikami isn't THAT great a developer. His last awesome game was four years ago.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 08:08:10 AM »
"Puhlease, give me a break. Mikami isn't THAT great a developer. His last awesome game was four years ago."

Regardless of Mikami's hit/miss record he still would be a great asset to Nintendo for one reason: he's different.  He makes different types of games then Nintendo does so he would provide much needed variety to their first party lineup.  One of Nintendo's problems is that most of their games have that EAD feel even if they're not EAD games and that makes the whole lineup feel very similar.  Variety is a good thing.  Rare and Silicon Knights used to provide variety which is why it's a big deal that they've left.

Having Mikami working for Nintendo with his own team and giving him the freedom to make whatever he wants would be one of the best things Nintendo could do.  In fact I think providing freedom to developers is something Nintendo could focus on that would seperate them from Sony's "no 2D, no quirky Japanese games in America" BS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 08:13:08 AM »
Didn't Mikami work on Viewtiful Joe?
Either way, taking him would be a blow to Capcom and would infuse some much needed fresh thought into Nintendo.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 09:08:08 AM »
Mikami would only be infusing fresh thought into <I>Nintendo</I>. There still wouldn't be any totally new games.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 04:29:47 PM »

There are plenty of 'breaches of contract' that are perfectly legal because they exploit a loophole or because the contract runs out. Vice
Well, they're not exactly breaches of contracts then, are they?  If it's a loophole, it is a loophole, no breaching involved.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 08:49:47 AM »
Thus my putting 'breaches of contract'. Ya know, like quotation marks?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 05:57:39 AM »
I guess VJ 1 and 2, DMC3 wasnt enought for PS2 owners sigh oh well Im still going to enjoy the gamcube version of RE4 and VJ2.  

EDIT: Maybe the special feature of the PS2 version is that the game will be on one disc instead of the game being on multipul discs like the gamecube version will be most likely or capcom will probably pull a PS Megaman 8 and include a booklette of the RE series .
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 05:17:35 PM »

- posted by Readykilowatt - B3D Forum
As most people suspected, there was a lot more to the PS2 port than what Capcom said in their press release.

Syobo Online just posted this:

"First off, the breaking of exclusivity in this case was not because of user demand, but a plan to boost the stock price, as some already understood, but it seems like there has been confrontation between the developers and the management who are following shareholders' instructions. Capcom nowadays is different to when Okamoto worked there, the development team's voice seems weaker than before. It also looks like a lot of skilled staff will leave the company after the GC version of 4 is finished. But the people behind this rebellion are the developers, and they ask that you don't blame Mikami or Kobayashi. The GC version of 4 is the last one that Mikami will be involved in, the PS2 version will be passed on to someone else. People who used to work at Capcom are also shocked by this news."

I was also unaware about the number of people who did not know Mikami was leaving. It was announced around April that Shinji would leave to work at Clover Studios, a new studio at Capcom, after RE4. What I didn't know was that Hideki Kamiya was also transferring to Clover Studios and that Okamoto has left Capcom completely. Hideki was next most likely person to head the Resident Evil series and now PS4 and PS7 are left with no directors of any great experience when it comes to RE or even survival horror.

Given that Kobayashi said RE4 would mark the end of the current storyline that revolves around the T-virus, Umbrella, etc and that future RE games would concentrate on a completely new and unrelated story, it would seem that RE as we know it will end with RE4.

http://www.rehorror.com/http://www.rehorror.com/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 10:24:48 PM »
So, Clover Studios, eh? Maybe we'll get more games like Viewtiful Joe, then (CS made VJ2). WOOOHOOOO!

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 08:52:36 AM »
Huh...

He left Capcom to work at Capcom? I don't get it... what's his rebellion supposed to achieve?

Especially since CS is also doing the GC->PS2 garbage with VJ...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 09:33:22 AM »
Clover Sudios is not actually part of Capcom, but it's an invested subsidiary. Similar to Flagship.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 08:05:34 PM »
I saw this on another forum, so I figured I'd post it here.

From Gamewatch:

GW: Why the sudden announcement to make it on PS2.

Kobayashi: In order to help stablize our revenue and create better relations with shareholders and increase the value of our stock we chose to port RE4. It was purely a business decesion.

GW: Despite your previous claims on RE4 being GC exclusive.

Kobayashi: When I made those comments, I was am the acting producer on RE4. Having said that, at the time it was a choice we made that RE4 could generate a profit (break even) on the GC. And as a producer, that is my only concern. For the game to be reputable and generate pure profit. And I believe it could have. But there are other factors that were outside of the development staff that caused the game to be ported. This deceision was made by non-developers, those who's job is to ensure the Capcom's future finicial sucess. Apparently, the PS2 was seen as extra profit, and thus we were told to port it. My say is only limited, but at the time, and my perspective I was 100% confident and sure it would remain GC exclusive.

GW: Forever?

Kobayashi: As far as I was concerned, sure. But keep in mind, the PS2 port will come 3 to 5 Quarters after the GC release. In our relationship with Nintendo, they still see this game as Nintendo Exclusive.

GW: Can you comment on these rumors about many of the design staff leaving.

Kobayashi: Personally, I'm upset with Capcom's deceision but as a producer I understand where they are coming from. Regarding the other staff, this isn't a rumor. It's truth. They are moving to Clover Studios. However, that is still a studio that is onwed by Capcom. It's a part of Capcom. Profits and pubslishing is still from Capcom etc.

GW: So Mikami is done with the RE series.

Kobyashi: I do not know. Depending on how well some of our newer large titles sell (DMC3 and Viewtiful Joe 2) determine a lot of future things. I cannot say. But if Mikami wanted to , he can and very well make another RE game. Clover studios has full access to the licensing equipment, brands etc that belong to Capcom, and obviously vice-versa. That is why Dante was in Viewtiful Joe (ps2-port). Dante belongs to Capcom but Clover still has rights to him just like any other Capcom Studio.

GW: Is it true that many of the design staff is upset with the higher "ups" at Capcom.

Kobayashi: No. Definantly not. And Never. They are all hardworking people and ultimately, they all want their game to be played by more people than not. We understand that some Nintendo fans are upset, but that is their problem. They need to understand that a company must maximize each games profit to stablize revenue and generate a higher return so we can continue to make quality and ground-breaking games.

GW: You talk about maxing out each game's potential revenue, so why don't you consider porting the DMC series to Gamecube? Being that it's a multi-million+seller, it could certainly find a home on the GC console as DMC and RE are very similar games in terms of target audience and fan base.

Kobayashi: This could happen at many requests...

GW: And finally, what do you have to say to those that are thrilled about the news, those that are concerned for Capcom, and those that aren't so glad to hear what has happened.

Kobayashi: Re4 has been designed for the Gamecube. Beyond that I cannot say more. But certainly keep that in mind. It will also appear on the GC early 2005, almost a year before the PS2 port. That is still exclusive in business relation terms. We only do this to stablize more profit, so that we can create stronger games and help prepare us for the large R&D costs that come with the next-generation consoles. We hope you'll play RE4, it's a great game I am truly proud of. Please, be optimistic that the RE series will now expand to greater lengths and more people can be introduced to the game series they all know and love, and help support.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 08:19:47 PM »
Gamewatch missed the big question.  Why did Capcom announce that RE4 was being ported to the PS2 before the Cube version came out?  We all know WHY they're porting it.  But we don't know why they announced it at this point, where it would potentially hurt Cube sales.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 09:16:08 PM »
Capcom's official response to that seems to be...

"It was a knee-jerk response to a shareholder's request that we do something to make Capcom's stock value go up. It was an instant response, and we most likely lost sales on the title, because we're stupid morons, and the concept of 'timing' is unknown to us."

The other theory is basically the same, if you erase everything after "most likely lost sales on the title," and replace it with "because we have great love for PS2 owners, and wanted to let them make their own informed decisions about whether or not to buy a GameCube, without any of this talk about 'third party support' on the GameCube getting in the way."

There seems to be another reasonable theory/rumor going around. It says that the shareholders wanted the stock price to go up, so Capcom decided to go with their usual scapegoat, and slash some GameCube support. They decided to port RE4 to the PS2, but Mikami refused. Then RE4 went over it's budget, so Capcom cut RE4's funding entirely, and told Mikami that he could only finish making the game if he allowed the PS2 port. Mikami caved. Then Capcom went to Sony with the good news, but Sony doesn't allow ports unless the Sony version is declared "superior". RE4 pushes the GameCube, so it'll look like crap on the PS2. Even with "extra features", the PS2 version will still be the inferior one. Sony agreed to let it slide, just this once, but only if Capcom agreed to publically shaft Nintendo.

This was probably in the works for a long time, since Mikami announced that he was moving to Clover a long time ago, which is apparently his big response to this whole thing.

(Moving in protest from Capcom to... Capcom? You're a wuss Mikami. I'm not asking that you go 'all the way' and cut your head off, but this is just lame.)
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 09:19:47 PM »
So, can somebody tell me how anything's going to be any different at Clover?

They still port GC games to PS2 for no apparent reason...

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 05:02:29 AM »
The new clover studios is setting to break apart from capcom.  That's obvious.  If you look at the amount of talent heading over there.  Clover studios actually acts semi-indepentendtly of capcom.  Clover is the anti-capcom capcom studio.  Production studio 4 is falling apart and capcom will need clover.  If clover doesn't leave then capcom will give them free reighn to do whatever they want.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 05:12:11 AM »
As long as it's on Sony's console.

'We have a game concept, a cel-shaded side-scroller, but it's fairly niche. We think it wouldn't do well on the over-saturated PS2.'

'So what, you wanna put it on Xbox?'

'No, GameCube.'

'The GameCast?'

'No, I said GameCube. We think there's a potential market there.'

'All right. You crazy geeks.'

'Hey, this game did pretty well! Port it to the PS2.'

'But it won't....'

'Shut it, minority share!'

[bombs]
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 12:06:51 AM »

Kobayashi: ... But if Mikami wanted to , he can and very well make another RE game. Clover studios has full access to the licensing equipment, brands etc that belong to Capcom, and obviously vice-versa.
- Ken Kutaragi

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 08:23:55 AM »
Yes!, Exclusive....my ass.. How bout we get Tekken 5 and Metal Gear Solid 3  for Gamecube cause I think they are over the budget(joke).....ugh how lame.... ):<

Why don't you just give Mario to PS2 also ...(sorrry just angered because I supposedly thought RE4 was ONLY FOR GAMECUBE)...
DAMN YOU MIKAMI!!!!!!!!!!!
and Vs. X-box
Who will win?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2004, 06:09:52 AM »
Keep in mind, this wasn't Mikami's doing, it was the decision of the suits. Suits and devs never get along and I'd guess this makes it even worse.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2004, 11:30:12 AM »
Well I wonder how the devs will be able to make RE4 handle on the PS2, if you look at GTA:SA the PS2 had a hard time keeping up with that because the trees vanished and re-appeared alot  in cutscenes.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 12:22:26 PM »
Simple.  Take out all trees, or take out all their branches.  While we're at it, take out Leon to give the impression of an FPS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 04:38:51 PM »
Umm yeah that used to be true when there were rumors of a RE4 on the PS2 back when the PS2 was like 1 year old. I think it was called Resident Evil 4: Umbrella Rising and it was a FPSish game.

Offline VideoGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 03:02:21 PM »
i have no clue to why capcom would want re4 to be for ps2 i mean come on technically it is either ps2 or xbox that always gets the games when comes resident evil 4 the most phenomenal game i have ever seen in my years of gaming but come on halo xbox grand theft auto san andreas ps2 now comes resident evil 4 g-cube @ps2 come on

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2005, 07:46:35 AM »
From what I could make of that garbage you wrote you're sayingthe XB and PS2 already have enough great games? Well, shareholders don't give a flying f#ck about customers, goodwill, honour, humanity and business as long as they get their money. They are the fifth spawn of the devil and try to suck any goodness out of the system and maximize profits. The shareholders decided that they don't care about the feelings of Cube owners or even Mikami himself and want RE4, as well as any other above mediocre title ever made by Capcom, ported to the PS2. Capcom's executives are aware of the issues that making Sony a monopoly would cause but their shareholders don't care because by the time Sony exerts its totalitarian powers they will already have sold their shares.

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2005, 09:49:56 PM »
Hey, it's just a shame the port is coming so late in the game (no pun intended). Otherwise it could have gone a long way towards illustrating just how pitiful the PS2 is in contrast to the Gamecube in terms of technical capabilities. There could have even been a positive effect for the Cube.  

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2005, 03:34:19 PM »
There's no way they could get it ported and running at over 1 FPS anytime around around now. The port has many things going against it:
1) It's for a system that's hard to program for and is technically inferior to the GCN in all areas, especially the ability to render complex special effects and texture maps, which even the Xbox can't do as well as the GCN.
2) The RE4 engine and graphical assets were built from the ground up and optimized for GCN.
3) The RE4 team, including Mikami, has nothing to do with the port. It's being handled by lesser people.

So yeah. This isn't Viewtiful Joe where you could port it to the Dreamcast or your Granny's PC without much hassle. We're talking about a game with very detailed models and environments, the best fire effects in gaming history (including the Source engine and CryTek engine), tons of other effects, and a lighting engine that rivals id's DOOM 3 engine (and looks more impressive I might add, the shadowing may not be as intricately detailed but the sheer awe of watching lightning clash in at night in rainstorm above a crowd of torch carrying dudes [night, rain, fire, lightning...Ganon battle anyone?] is more impressive IMO than watching the dim light of a flashlight cast random shadows in a small corridor)... This a something the PS2 can definately not handle at a solid 30 FPS, or even be capable of displaying some of the effects in the game.. Especially not with the aforementioned developmental hurdles. And the only way PS2 can render character models with this many polygons is to cut off environment detail and zoom in on the characters and action (ie Metal Gear Solid). Of course, Gran Turismo 4 proves that with lots of love and effort you can squeeze almost anything out of the little system... yeah but 4 years of love, effort, and talented and crazy PS2 developers is something this port doesn't have.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2005, 08:57:14 PM »
BS. Downscale the textures, reduce the model polycounts and maybe a few bones, simplify special effects, done. Well, okay, the engines draw functions would need a rewrite but OOP makes this really easy. Lowering your game's ressource footprint is a lot easier than increasing it.

BTW, and a lighting engine that rivals id's DOOM 3 engine??? Do you have any idea what the Doom 3 engine does? Stuff like unified lighting? The result may not look as good as RE4 but that's because D3 is so advanced it can't reach its full potential on modern PCs yet (and there's always the difference between technology and usage, you can make awesome stuff with the quake engine provided you use it right). D3 and RE4 or HL2 use completely different approaches that cannot be compared and technologically D3 is a new generation compared to the other two.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2005, 11:31:09 AM »
Apparently you've misunderstood my meaning. When I say "rivals DOOM 3" I know what DOOM 3's engine does, and I've stated that it's far more technically advanced... And that's nice and all, and is a great leap in technology, but unfortunately id hasn't applied it to as good of a use as a lighting engine of that calibre deserves... What I mean is when you toss all that out and just look at the end results on your screen, RE4's scenarios look more impressive. Most people aren't going to notice the tiniest shadows and flickers in a small dark DOOM 3 hallway and be like "holy crap! those shadow physics are awesome!" but when you look at the far more artistically awe-inspiring scenes of RE4 the end result is far more impressive.

Of course, if the DOOM 3 engine was applied to RE4 the game would look even better... but it's not. I'm not comparing which lighting engine is more technically advanced, I'm arguing about which game looks more impressive. And I don't think anyone is going to argue that the fire effects in RE4 beat everything down. I mean I was impressed when I played Far Cry for the first time, those explosions and such were amazing... Half-Life 2's Source engine didn't produce any fire effects worth talking about though IMO, not even on DX9c compliant cards. But RE4's fire just looks freaking amazing, and something I didn't think the little GCN wasn't capable of producing. And something the PS2 will definately NOT be able produce with a mere port team and a few months, if ever.

And the textures in the game aren't exactly high-res anyway, downscaling them will make them look ever worse. The poly counts of course will but cut too, simplify special effects, of course. Now that right there already makes the game look that much worse. Then factor in the PS2's inability to produce as sharp or vibrant a picture, and very aliased and jaggy images, and there goes the clean look of the game. And even after all this I doubt the frame rate will be steady. Anyway I'm not sure what you're arguing about. I'm sure anyone would agree that under the conditions that the PS2 port is being subjected too (main team not involved, few months of dev time, PS2 hardware) that there's no way the game will look as good or run as well as the GCN version. And we all know that dev teams matter, look at NFS Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2 and the versions on Xbox, GCN, and PC. All three systems way more powerful than a PS2, but all of them looking pathetic compared to the PS2 version, and on top of that, running at pathetic frame rates.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2005, 08:00:39 PM »
However, we are arguing technical difficulties here and for the tech the aesthetics don't matter.

We don't know much about the trickery involved in RE4 so we can't tell how well it would port to the PS2. Does it make use of the flexible rendering pipeline? Could that be faked? Sure, there will be differences but I expect the general public not to notice them (mainly because few will play both versions).

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2005, 09:26:18 PM »
I like the technical approach Resi4 has towards lighting and (self)shadowing.  It seems unique compared to the Splinter Cells and Rogue Squadrons I've had the opportunity to sample; that is to say, i'm under the impression games like SC, RS, Riddick, StarFox Adv, etc. have been using techniques that've widely been available to PC games.  Doom3 is definitely lovely in this department, but the hardware demands are a few solar systems beyond GCN's specs.  I guess I'm trying to say that Resi4's light/shadow techniques scream "efficiency" to me, and with the help of "meatier" hardware it could obviously look more refined and spectacular.  Given the meatier hardware, I sometimes wonder how Resi4's potential would compare with Doom3's or the Source engine.

Awesome trickery, indeed.

~~~~~

I'd love to see SFA's self-shadowing-upon-fur-rendering used in another Cube game.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2005, 08:51:31 AM »
Well first of all DOOM 3, Crytek, and Source all use advanced DX9 effects the GCN/Xbox aren't capable of producing. Heck my DX9 Geforce 4 Ti4400 can't even do them. What RE4 really doesn't have a lot of that games Rogue Squadron, Riddick, Star Fox Adventures, and PC games use a lot of are texture techniques like bump mapping and normal mapping.
Which is really sad because Gamecube does those better than any other console. Even Xbox can only do 4 texture passes per object, half what the GCN can do. And the GCN has a faster fill rate and double (i believe) the L2 cache. Note that the GCN's ArtX graphics chip was the base for the PC Radeon 9700 Pro (ArtX's first card for ATI) which single-handedly saved ATI from getting beat down by nvidia. The Xbox definately has more raw power and more RAM than the GCN, but the GCN can produce better effects and better looking models, if it's used properly (look at Rogue Squadron 3's models and effects).
For example, run the hardware stress test from the Counter-Strike Source main menu. It goes through a little cave with lots of stuff showing off Source's features and then gives you an average frame rate. There's one scene where it shows a human soldier made up of water, showing refraction and stuff like that. Super Smash Bro. Melee had the exact same thing (indistinguishable in quality, i compared them yesterday, rotating the camera out and viewing effects through the invisible person) back in 2001. You know the much showed off rippling glass/water effect? You know, the big wall of water used for force fields and glass? Star Fox Adventures had that (huge pillars of water in that one temple). And of course the fire in RE4 trounces everything.
GCN/Xbox both suffer from very low resolution textures compared to the high end PC games though... I wonder how Far Cry Instincts will look.. The PC version was beautiful.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2005, 08:09:25 AM »
(a GeForce 4 is DX8.0 (OpenGL 1.3), not DX9.0)

Shaders haven't been around in PC games back then because few write their games for top-of-the-line hardware. Shaders weren't really used until around Tron 2.0, I think.
I'm not sure how well the Cube handles dot3-bumpmapping (normalmaps) but its low texture resolution (too little RAM) doesn't work well for normalmapping.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »
oh whoops yeah lol... I'm not thinking straight... I said my DX9 card can't do DX9 effects lol...that was a typo i meant DX8...
I heard GCN can do normal maps pretty well if you use the system right, for those kind of specs. That said... normal maps are hard to do on any consoles. Halo 2's look ugly as heck and look seriously unnatural... Not only that but tons of models in the game looked like an assembly of parts rather than a cohesive unit, worsening the look.
Anyway, I'm seriously getting annoyed at the blatant use of bump mapping and normal mapping in some games.. Far Cry and Half-Life seem to keep it respectable with the human models anyway... DOOM 3 is getting carried away, then things like Halo 2 and Riddick just look ridiculously synthetic...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2005, 06:03:25 AM »
Halo 2 uses hand-painted normal maps as opposed to normalmaps rendered from a hipoly model (like Doom 3). Console texture memory is too small to hold the amount and size of textures required for normalmaps, though.
The problem with Doom 3 isn't the normalmaps, it's the specularity. With little or no specularity you can get stuff to look mostly right but iD apparently underestimated the strength of their spec. I've used very weak specularity on the face of my avatar and I think it doesn't look like plastic.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2005, 10:25:10 AM »
Naw, but the hair looks like play dough
I've yet to see good hair...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2005, 07:16:08 PM »
Guess I should paint a bumpmap to overlay, then...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2005, 01:53:05 AM »
Krystal has great hair.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2005, 09:49:26 AM »
well the hard part about hair is that for true hair you needs thousands of independent strands... and then animate them properly.. ack

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2005, 10:01:27 AM »

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2005, 04:56:01 PM »
Yeah I read a similar article at GCA Advanced. The PS2 version should be canned. I mean its going to have to be seriously watered down.
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2005, 10:07:59 PM »

The PS2 version should be canned. I mean its going to have to be seriously watered down.

Yeah, but it's one of the best games Capcom has made in a long time, and it's selling "poorly" on the GameCube, and Capcom has already told the videogaming public "don't buy a GameCube if you want to play this game".

Capcom screwed themselves, like only about 90% of the internet said they were doing. And it seems that the only chance they have to save themselves is by going through with the PS2-port.

Of course, it seems really obvious that the PS2 version is going to look like crap. They'll be lucky if it's just "not cutting edge". Which will kill the PS2 version. At which point, there might be some renewed interest in the superior GameCube version, but by the time this all plays out, almost nobody will care anymore.

For the amount of effort Capcom is obviously going to put into the PS2-port, it's clearly a waste of time, and will probably cost them money and drive them closer to bankruptcy, but I'm under the impression lately that they literally have nothing better that they could be doing.

It's very sad. Capcom used to be cool.
- Ken Kutaragi

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2005, 11:09:28 AM »
I hear the PS2 port will get "Making of RE4 for GameCube" featurette as an extra yay.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2005, 12:01:35 PM »
I'm playing the world's sadest song on the world's smallest violin for Sony and Capcom.

First they announce that the game is going to PS2 dropping the GC's version sales down  bit, its selling ok but not great, and then they realize the game will suck on the PS2, Karma my friends, Karma.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2005, 10:36:52 AM »
Games Are Fun has a bunch of screenshots from the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4.  Check them out here.

They look noticeably worse than the GC version.  No word on frame rates.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2005, 11:04:46 AM »
Well if the framerate is okay Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 looks playable I guess.  But man that looks pretty bad in comparison to the Cube version.  Hell there are PS2 exclusive games that look better.  The framerate better be good because the graphics don't look like they're really taxing the system.

Maybe now that they've shown off the PS2 version it will spark sales of the Cube version.  Some people might have been waiting to see the PS2 version to decide which one to get and now that they can compare they might go with the Cube.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2005, 11:58:26 AM »
whoo boy... well at least I got some new pieces of Ada artwork, thanks kingvudu =D

and seriously, the new art with Leon/Ada showing off their weapons looks silly and cocky in comparison to the art that was shown for the GCN release.

[Barry Burton]:  "Oh, don't worry... I like the BUDDY SYSTEM we have here... See ya later."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2005, 01:08:49 PM »
MY GOD

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/013/013887/imgs_1.html (Those gamesarefun links are not loading for me, E3 is destroying websites left and right)

Resident Evil 4 on PS2 looks absolutely terrible, just as I expected.    

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »
.........Flop

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2005, 04:22:59 PM »
I actually saw video of it on G4 and while it doesn't look nearly as good as the GC version, it really didn't look all that bad in motion, especially for what I expect out of a PS2 game.  The textures look a little washed out and there are some slight graphical differences, but it didn't look bad for a PS2 game.  It looked very playable.

* all based off of 20 or so seconds of linked clips on G4tv

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2005, 04:42:19 PM »
Wow, the jaggies were so sharp in those pictures I thought
I was going to cut myself looking at them...

I'm glad I got the GC version....
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2005, 05:54:58 PM »
Capcom has made some very bad choices lately. This is just another one. You can't fault their development teams, who have really made some excellent titles... the problem lies in the management.

Of course, if I had my way, Nintendo would have bought them out and turned them 2nd party a long time ago

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2005, 08:46:15 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I'm sorry, but I'm just plain loving this. The game looks like pixelated ass. I couldn't be happier. I can't imagine what the framerate is. I hope it runs at 15fps....a stuttering 15fps.  
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2005, 02:05:31 AM »
Matt from IGN, now writing for IGN-PS2, says that the PS2 version of RE4 looks just as good as the GameCube version, right down to the advanced lighting and shadow effects, and runs at a steady 30fps. The GameCube version has a "slightly" higher polygon count.
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2005, 09:06:34 AM »
Wait, is this a permanate thing, or just temporary?  Did he lose/give up his position as editor of the GameCube section?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2005, 12:40:24 PM »
Temporary, I'm sure.
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2005, 01:12:35 PM »
Matt writes for whatever he pleases, he's one of the higher up editors.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2005, 01:54:22 PM »
from what I saw of RE4 it looks like granulated ass.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2005, 05:17:54 AM »
Capcom's sales forecast on worldwide sales of RE4 on PS2 will be 2,000,000  million units. Ouch what a pipedream. Capcom also expects to sell Killer 7 350,000 worldwide on the GCN and PS2 respectively.  I think Capcom is alittle drunk when they came up with that.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2005, 08:30:31 PM »
So uh, yeah. Let's have PS2 RE4 discussion here.

I was initially interested in it for the new Ashley costume, but that's been exposed as incredibly stupid (don't click that picture link if you don't want it spoiled).

The new "exclusive!!11" guns are also really retarded, and it sucks that they're available on the first play through, making the game even easier.

However, the new Assignment Ada looks/sounds like this game will be worth a rent, apparently it goes for over 5 hours, and you start off in the village, instead of the rather bland island place that made the GC one pretty lame, also she's wearing the hot red dress instead of the generic black costume. There's lots of new things that are brought to light, ie little things like why the villagers go when the church bell rings, more about Luis/Adas - Ada/Leon's relationships and other neat stuff. No doubt the graphics look worse, but it looks like they're good enough to retain the feel of the original, and I've heard the controls are crap (due to the Duel Shock sucking), but hopefully it's playable enough for me to go through it and see everything that's new.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2005, 08:43:41 PM »
Laugho, Ashley's costume SUCKS...But HEY, Ada's black infiltration get-up is awesome! >=|

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2005, 08:50:47 PM »
I wonder if Ada has a new costume?

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2005, 09:39:09 PM »
I wanna be Ada's costume.  Ashley's too...
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2005, 11:50:07 PM »
The text under the pic says Leon is wearing a mafia outfit. And that the knight's armor makes Ashley immune to bullets.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2005, 04:17:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Laugho, Ashley's costume SUCKS...But HEY, Ada's black infiltration get-up is awesome! >=|

but the red dress is better.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2005, 09:22:23 PM »

- Ada's mini game is entitled Seperate Ways (although "other story or other names are being used), but isn't connected to Assignment Ada which is still in the PS2 version. It isn't split up, being one mission but it's still up to five hours on first play. The game is unlocked when you complete the main game. The content covers Ada's story of the main game split into several sections, explains bits and pieces not explained in the main story, and allows you to gain access to areas that you do know and some you don't (including a change in the end battle). Ada also doesn't have access to the merchant in the game. Likewise Ada has the use of a grappling hook as shown in the original game which gives her access to areas and is apparently also a possible weapon.

(http://www.residentevilfan.com/)

Well...tbh I'm pretty mad about this.  The rather insignificant new weapons/costumes didn't really bother me much but adding in a possible 5 new hours of play via a minigame, along with revealing more story really gets me steamed.  For a game that was supposed to be exclusive to now adding in more story and gameplay is rediculous.  I don't own a PS2 and if I do buy a PS3 it will be a long time b4 I can afford it after it's released.  Long story short, I'm screwed as a GCN owner and I have a bitter taste in my mouth about this.  Nintendo gets sh!t on again.

/rage fueled rant

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2005, 01:11:34 AM »
For a game that was supposed to be exclusive to now adding in more story and gameplay is rediculous.

No, Sony doesn't permit late ports without significant enhancements.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2005, 02:13:24 AM »
Well the bottom line is it shouldn't have been ported at all.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2005, 07:08:20 PM »
Wow. Un-believe-able. What next?  The oft rumored-chainsaw weapon will be useable? *Harkens to Doom days.* Good times, good times...

So they do a Code Veronica to Veronica X to the 5th power? No wonder 'Cube owners are pissed. Its a bummer, but  I'll let the sales do the talking. Will Capcom/Sony make this the hit of holiday season '05? Or will it tank like Viewtiful Joe with its delightful extras?

On the bright side, Nobody has a clinch on the RE franchise, so everyone will get the Zombiefied love from the get-go next generation. No broken promises, no chopping of heads, (potentially) everyone will be happy with RE 5.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2005, 10:17:19 AM »
Wait ... Ashley in a suit of armor  Is that a joke?  Also, why does it look like Leon is wearing an eye patch and a Jughead hat?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2005, 10:32:11 AM »
Yes, it is a joke. A joke you can unlock by playing through the game. Many unlockables in many games are jokes.

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2005, 06:17:09 AM »
Apparently many of the cutscenes are now pre-rendered on the PS2 version.  Not really an issue as far as gameplay is concerned, other than a lack of continuity when using alternate costumes and bragging rights about system power.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2005, 09:01:29 AM »
Where did you hear this from?  It's the first I've heard of it.

As far as continuity, the game had that same problem on GameCube, although not with costumes.  I remember triggering the bridge cut scene and even though I was holding a shotgun while approaching the bridge, it switched to a pistol for the cutscene.

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2005, 01:56:29 PM »
http://forum.capcom-europe.com/viewtopic.php?p=120990#120990

The "confirmation" is made by a Capcom employee, or at the very least the official admin for the message board.  Also, owners of the PS2 demo disc have found a bunch of cutscenes included on the disc and have determined them to be DVD9 files.

I'd assume that since some of the cutscenes make heavy use of bumpmapping, higher-poly models, lots of depth of field blurring, distortion effects, and large numbers of characters onscreen, the PS2 simply couldn't handle them without showing an obvious decline in quality or a dodgy framerate.  Since the quality of graphics during gameplay have been noticably cut (no bump/specular mapping on items or character models, downgrading of enemy models when they become numerous, downgraded lighting model, etc), I don't see how the PS2 could suddenly match the quality of the GC version when the special effects and filters are much more detailed and prominent in the cutscenes.  Little cutscenes, however, like pulling the radio out for a transmission, rappeling down cliffs, letting the dog out of the beartrap, and so on will be done in real time.

FYI, the cutscenes in the GC version didn't switch weapons because it would require new animations to keep larger weapons like the bazooka or rifle from looking akward and clipping through models and other geometry.  

http://www.thehorrorisalive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194
Here's the thread where all of this came to light.  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2005, 02:51:37 PM »
THIS IS VERY INTERESTING

On a related note, the scene in Metroid Prime 2 where the Ing ambush the GF Troopers and their craft was pre-rendered @ 60fps, to make it believable.  And that's all.  The rest of the game was real-time luvin'.

And in RE4 (GC), in the event where Leon rotates the castle bridge from within the bridge tower, the actual footage of the bridge moving was pre-rendered.  The presence of video artifacts in the footage supports this, and it's not realistic for RE4 to load 2 different areas so quickly for consecutive scenes (inside tower + outside tower).  The rest was real-time luvin'.

But this has me thinking, what will become of Ashley's "ballistics" cutscene on PS2?  Separate FMV for just that?

LOL PWNED =D =O D= *o*

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2005, 03:10:40 PM »
I never got around to buying MP2...does anyone have a video of the pre-rendered scene Prof. is talking about?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2005, 03:14:16 PM »
If you didn't buy the game, you don't deserve the cutscene.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2005, 03:23:41 PM »
Of course I have the cutscene uploaded somewhere.  But,

[see msg above]

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2005, 05:50:30 PM »
There's lots of artifacting and dithering present in actual gameplay as well, especially in areas with darker lighting and volumetric fog and dust clouds.  It's hard to tell though... it's seems odd that they'd pre render a scene that isn't very graphically intense.  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2005, 06:44:37 PM »
Probably has to do with the fact that, originally, the cutscene models for characters took longer to load on PS2.  But by using FMV, the game can just load up the video stream without having to jump/load between high-detail-cutscene mode and game-play mode.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2005, 06:46:23 PM »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2005, 11:05:11 PM »
Soooo depressing!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2005, 12:25:18 AM »
All but 2 of the PS2 pics look barren and washed out in comparison.

Less lighting, detail and environmental addage, but I'm sure you won't notice while playing the game.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2005, 02:15:58 AM »
Yeah, thsoe were some interesting comparison pics, but I'm still impressed by the final product, at least graphically.  I think it'll be noticeable during the gameplay, but it won't have any major impact on it.  Apparently the controls aren't too good,, that's what everyone should be worried about
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2005, 09:27:06 AM »
Since I can't read squares (Japanese text isn't installed on my computer) I'm having a hard time discerning if the PS2 screens are much darker than the GC ones because of the way the screenshots were taken or because they PS2 version is just that much darker than the GC one.  Anyone know the answer?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2005, 09:31:49 AM »
It's because the PS2 can't handle the GC version's lighting...

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2005, 03:08:23 PM »
Here's a couple that I thought showed the biggest differences.

GameCube original.
Less polygons (trees) in the PS2 version.

GameCube original.
No lighting in the PS2 version.

BTW, the GameCube version is supposedly running in 16-bit color, but the PS2 version doesn't have that limitation (which is a small improvement). But the FMV in the PS2 version is 16-bit color, which means that it's the PS2 running FMV footage of the GameCube rendering something in realtime.

Also, supposedly these comparison pics were both taken from a standard-definition TV set. The PS2 version can be set up to handle widescreen. So if you zoom the GameCube version up to a widescreen TV it looks crappy, but if you play the PS2 version you get a clearer view of it's inherent crappiness.
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2005, 03:13:37 PM »
Those second shots are like night and day!

My main problem with all this is that if it wins Game of the Year amywhere they'll credit the inferior PS2 version too.

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2005, 03:38:17 PM »
That really bad. It looks like the difference of tp & mm graphic.  
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2005, 05:22:55 PM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
Also, supposedly these comparison pics were both taken from a standard-definition TV set. The PS2 version can be set up to handle widescreen. So if you zoom the GameCube version up to a widescreen TV it looks crappy, but if you play the PS2 version you get a clearer view of it's inherent crappiness.

You don't take screens from a TV set.  TV sets don't capture screenshots or video and save them on your harddrive.  The proper practice is to take screens using the same video capture device & connectors, using the same capture resolution, same brightness/color/etc, and run each game with their default 4:3 letterboxed format.  Basically, use the same controlled conditions to eliminate biases towards the samples.  I believe Ruliweb did a good job of this, making a valid comparison (unlike the media war some developers fuel with their high-rez dev-kit-made non-retail-version screens and trailers).

And there are ways of routing video to a PC, letting the PC zoom/resize the video with decent quality, and routing the processed video to a WS TV, so RE4(GC) wouldn't look as crappy.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2005, 03:33:32 PM »
IGN gave it a 9.5. Good score. I have to laugh though, at the end of the review he says any difference in GCN/PS2 scoring is just due to the different reviews, larger PS2 game library...and a few inferior elements. Hahaha. It's worded to sounds as if anything BUT the few elements are to blame. Seriously, who cares? It's a 9.5! If the graphics aren't as good, fine. Don't say otherwise. A 9.5 is good regardless of why it isn't a 10. You hardly need to soften the blow...

Anyway. Sales should be interesting. Did it come out in Japan yet, btw?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2005, 07:17:46 PM »
I'll have to give capcom some credit though, i was one of those guys saying "OMG PS2 version will look like @$$".  The graphics are obviously missing a lot, such as the atmospheric fogging and lighting stuff, and the textures are a bit lower res, and some models seem to be scaled back, but for anyone who hasn't played the GC version they will still think it is beautiful.

I appreciate the fogging and lighting stuff so much more now that i've seen the PS2 version but honestly guy's saying it is night and day is a bit too overboard don't u think?

Matter of opinion i guess, however if RE4 gets game of the year they should be represented as GCN as it is the original and IMO the superior version.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2005, 07:32:42 PM »
It is night and day. That doesn't mean the PS2 version isn't pretty.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2005, 07:25:17 AM »
I don't think the difference is that huge.  I agree the GameCube version looks superior, and it's nice to have a game that shows the GameCube has more power, once and for all, but the PS2 version looks just fine. Graphics don't matter that much anyway.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2005, 06:17:57 AM »
The GCN version is superior for one reason and one reason only (=D) is that it was the system that Resident Evil 4 was made for.  Capcom can port it where ever they want, but they can never change the fact that it was designed from the ground up for the Nintendo Gamecube.

A few extras, costumes and stuff don't make the game better, it only gives people and excuse to live in their own little world and believe they are getting the better deal, when in fact they are months behind in their rent. lol  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2005, 07:39:23 PM »
IGN Insider side by side GCN vs PS2 (summarized)  <-- for those of us w/o insider

Final Verdict

Summing Up: If you desire greater level of options, and a more versatile experience with successive playthroughs; go with the PS2 version for all it's bonus features.

If you prefer greater level of graphical detail, more dynamic sound, and a more intense and immersive atmosphere; pick up the original GameCube version.

and there you have it.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2005, 08:47:56 PM »
Bah, they had to fix the Google trick. First 'article' on IGN I've wanted to read in over a year. Interesting that they picked on the vase sound. That's the one sample that really sticks out on the GameCube also.  So in the end it turned out as we all expected: they've both worth playing and/or owning.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2005, 04:16:45 PM »
I'm not (normally) a graphics whore....but I think I can make an exception with RE. The whole point of the game is it's immersiveness....while playing, I don't feel like I'm playing the game so much as living it. So, while I haven't played the ps2 version yet, I imagine that the shoddy graphics, long load times, and muffled sounds will completley destroy the experience... and leave something that is fun but, ultimatley, never lets you forget that you are playing a videogame, which is what happens when playing the GC version. And no amouint of extra areas/cutscenes/costumes could possibly make up for that.  
ā€œ...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.ā€ - Richard M. Nixon

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2005, 05:44:15 AM »
Personally, I'd go for the PS2 version, it looks fine to me and I like the extra content.  Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of the game or of horror in general so my motivation is different.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2005, 08:43:12 AM »
How long until videos are available to download of the extra levels, cut scenes, etc?  Pro666?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2005, 04:22:28 PM »
You really expect me to touch that thing? =D

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2005, 04:54:52 PM »
All of the cut scenes from Ada's Separate Ways bonus missions are available to download over at rehorror.com.  Scroll down to the news posted on November 4.  I haven't watched it yet (only about 13% downloaded--very slooooooooooow download).

You can also download a couple head-to-head video comparisons of the village and the castle.  They're very nicely done.  I'm actually really surprised by how well of a job Capcom did on the PS2 port.  You can definitely tell a noticeable difference when they're side by side, but if you cover up the GC half of the screen you really wouldn't think it looks bad at all.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2005, 02:09:28 AM »
So I've played the PS2 version and the one thing that annoyed me the most were the loading times between areas: gosh!! so freaking slow!!
They even added a "now loading" at the bottom of the screen!
There's some aliasing too, not that minor to me though: I could tell the cut scenes were FMV because they looked terribly "pixellised" (is that even a word? lol).
Controls are just okay but maybe it's because I'm used to the GC controller better.
The port is very decent, I thought it was gonna be much worse than that.  
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2007, 05:54:32 AM »
At the risk of incurring the wrath of Pale, BUMP.

RE4 is getting the port treatment again, this time on mobile phones.

I haven't been able to find any screen shots yet, but according to Kataku:

The demo on hand for Resident Evil 4 Mobile Edition was super brief, but the trailer running on the perimeter of the booth indicated that the game was very much in-depth. Boss fights, Ashley escorting, loads of shooting poverty stricken villagers in the faceā€”it's all here. A bit rough around the edges and features extremely purple "zombies" but not a bad effort.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2007, 06:09:30 AM »
RE4 on cell phones? o_O
Capcom has officially gone crazy.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2007, 06:34:42 AM »
This proves that the "Wii can't handle RE5 so Capcom won't port it"  people ARE FULL OF IT

Magazine scan pics!!1: http://i19.tinypic.com/4ujpf7b.jpg  

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2007, 08:22:45 AM »
The villagers are blue now? WTF?!

~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
wow i must be really out of touch with cell phone games... i was expecting something crappy and 2D like the stuntman demo my first phone came with
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »
Ngage will rise AGAIN.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2007, 12:59:09 PM »
Cant wait for the Virtual Boy version Capcom!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy
The villagers are blue now? WTF?!

Perhaps the cellphone providers won't permit overly violent games?

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2007, 04:28:36 PM »
should be noted that Capcom also announced a new Megaman Legends, a DMC port, and a Breath of Fire IV port...  all cellphone games ;_;
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2007, 07:13:32 PM »
A NEW Megaman Legends???
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2007, 08:56:06 PM »
WTF? I mean, yes, I just saw an interview where Inafune said he really wants to make MML3 but he also said the company is refusing to finance it because MML1 and 2 flopped. That MML is probably just a port.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2007, 10:19:11 PM »
"the company is refusing to finance it"

is this INTELLIGENCE I detect?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2007, 03:23:02 AM »
Well, he said he's saving money to pay for it himself.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2007, 06:43:07 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Well, he said he's saving money to pay for it himself.
that does kinda explain why it's a cellphone game...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2007, 12:00:13 AM »
You'd think he'd mention the game if it was already in development, the interview was only a few days ago.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2007, 07:15:47 AM »
Alright, now does anybody need anymore proof that if a company wants X game to go to whatever system, they'll find a way to do it even if it sounds impossible? There's a lot of people who say that the game industry is a joke and I can see exactly why.