Author Topic: Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 76265 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Star Wars IX
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:52 AM »
You know Star Wars has not had a consistent message on authority and positions.  Rebels basically was all about that little group disobeying orders and making it work.  Rogue One basically had a female main lead that was screw authority.  If you wanted to drive the point home that it is Poe's mistake then it should have been solely his mistake that caused Rose's sister's death.  Otherwise you could equally argue her bombs could have worked and the Star Destroyer is blown up and everything is Rosey.

Honestly, I cared for none of the characters in that movie, except for Luke and Rey.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 12:55:47 AM »
Wait... "heard about"?

I thought I made it perfectly clear in that other thread that I stopped watching Disney Star Wars after The Force Awakens, and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon other than finishing off Rebels.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 03:25:40 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 08:21:58 AM »

Well that's disingenuous. Go ahead. Point out where in my earlier post in this thread I complained about The Last Jedi. I asked for clarification on a plot point. Hell, I don't think you'll find complaints from me about the non-Force Awakens films in the OTHER thread, either.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 09:20:05 AM »
Look, man... I'm not so invested in Star Wars (new, prequel, or original) that I'm willing to take the time to clarify plot points of a movie in order to try and discuss it with someone who isn't even interested enough to actually watch the movie to begin with. 

Cheers!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »
Poe is a nobody and Holdo/Leia sure do not owe him any kind of explanation - which is doubled down after the **** he pulled at the beginning of the movie.  He should have been throw in the brig (out the airlock) after that for killing half the remaining resistance.

From what I understand, "that **** he pulled at the beginning of the movie" was the only reason the rest of the movie could even happen because Poe took out the Dreadnaught that would have caught up to the heroes and gunned them down. Because he did that, the First Order had to spend the rest of the movie chasing the heroes, which is what led to Holdo & Leia's plan even being feasible.

From everything I've heard about The Last Jedi, Poe is one of the few characters who consistently acts logically the entire movie.
This sounds more like hitching about a movie you haven't seen to me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 04:57:41 PM »
Wait... "heard about"?

I thought I made it perfectly clear in that other thread that I stopped watching Disney Star Wars after The Force Awakens, and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon other than finishing off Rebels.

Well the thing about the four Star Wars movies that have come out is peoples opinions vary widely. If you didn't like Force Awakens you might like The Last Jedi. If you didn't like Either you might like Rogue One. You could have a weird mixed opinion about Solo where you dislike that it isn't Harrison Ford but overall like the rest of the movie. They're a mixed bag. I don't think you can judge the current crop of Star Wars based on one entry. They all have different directors. I'm interested in The Mandalorian series upcoming mainly because everything John Favreu touches is gold.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »
So I guess that there is a Star Wars Celebration today in Chicago IL.  It looks like it is going to start in 10 minutes and go for a hour over here. 

For BnM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhiLZOprZE
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »
Looks like we have a subtitle for episode 9. The Rise of Skywalker and it is coming out this Christmas.

Also here is the teaser trailer from the celebration.

For BnM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adzYW5DZoWs
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:31:30 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2019, 01:41:18 PM »
I guess that confirms Rey is a Skywalker.  I'm really interested in seeing how that works out story-wise.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »
I guess I could see that but it would be a bit of a retcon from TLJ where Kylo Ren said to Rey that her parents were nobody and that she didn't really have a place in the Skywalker family.    Which I think is an interesting take on things.  I mean you don't have to have some sort of lineage to be important.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2019, 02:11:12 PM »
I liked that take as well.  But Kylo could've easily lying to her.  I just can't interpret the title another way, unless Leia becomes queen or something, but that's a bigger stretch for many reasons.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
It could be Ben Skywalker.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
Palpy keeping himself alive with the force at the bottom of the wrecked DS with broken legs for 36 years? What if Rey meets him and HE does a flashback, only he tells it wrong/lies, and they cgi-rework the RoTJ battle in his chamber?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2019, 04:10:10 PM »
I liked that take as well.  But Kylo could've easily lying to her.

I've never understood the outrage over this.  So many fanboys were mad that she was a "nobody", but she got that information second hand from the bad guy.  Why do we take the bad guy at face value?

Hell, when Vader was all "I am your father", Luke's initial reaction was all 'you're lying.' (even though it turned out he wasn't)... Why is Luke the only one alive that jumps to disbelief of what the bad guys claim?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2019, 05:05:57 PM »
Teaser looks great to me.  I adored Force Awakens and I trust JJ to salvage something good from the dumpster fire that was Last Jedi.  Apparently they've also said that Star Wars movies are going on a break for a while after 9's release.  I think this is a great idea.  The wounds from the Last Jedi are still very much raw for many viewers and consequently there is a lot of distrust with the franchise now.  Solo showed that. 

As for the Palpatine laugh. I reckon they might be drawing some inspiration from the EU story when Palpatine was cloned.   If they want to restore some in from the fanbase then incorporating some ideas from the old EU would be a good start.  This also adds some credibility to that rumour a while ago that they were casting Mara Jade for 9.  If Grand Admiral Thrawn turns up then I reckon all the sins of TLJ will be balanced. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »
I liked that take as well.  But Kylo could've easily lying to her.

I've never understood the outrage over this.  So many fanboys were mad that she was a "nobody", but she got that information second hand from the bad guy.  Why do we take the bad guy at face value?

Hell, when Vader was all "I am your father", Luke's initial reaction was all 'you're lying.' (even though it turned out he wasn't)... Why is Luke the only one alive that jumps to disbelief of what the bad guys claim?

I didn't get that either.  It grows the universe to have more magical people than just the one guy's extended family and maybe two others.

As far as taking Kylo Ren at face value, I can see why you would in the moment, especially since the issue of her lineage is basically dropped from there, but. . .eh. . .he's the bad guy.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »
Ehh, I liked both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi (despite its faults). The whole “rise of Skywalker” thing seems to contradict the “let the past die” stuff which is kind of a bummer. I liked that concept thematically.

I also liked Rey being a “nobody.” So now, I suppose it’s possible that she is Leia’s (but not Han’s) daughter and Kylo Ren’s half-sister, perhaps conceived during one of times Han left that was stated in The Force Awakens. I don’t know what the age difference between Rey and Kylo Ren is supposed to be so maybe the timeline doesn’t work here, but maybe Leia gave Rey up when Ben turned, fearing she may lose another child to the Dark Side. If you think that’s kind of cold, this is the same saga that this basically happened:

Padme: Since I’m dying suddenly, I hope Leia becomes a princess. Luke can be a farmer or some **** on the same planet his father was a slave before he murdered a bunch of sand people. LOL. Wait, is “sand people” racist? Oh well, gtg.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »
This was a good time to make this thread. Maybe a little too coincidental...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
I heard a trailer came out today.

edit: there it is!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2019, 10:10:04 PM »
Star Wars 9: Rise of the Retcons.

I really don't get why anybody has faith in JJ. Dude is a con man with nothing but trash boxes. If it was in any other career he would be a hobo by now.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2019, 12:26:44 AM »
you all know I'm no SW person, but trailer looked interesting.
I'm going to need something to fill the void after I binge watch all MCU related content on D+ this fall/winter.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2019, 04:59:52 AM »
Star Wars 9: Rise of the Retcons.

I really don't get why anybody has faith in JJ. Dude is a con man with nothing but trash boxes. If it was in any other career he would be a hobo by now.

I saw Mission Impossible 3.

Not everything he does is mystery boxes. He is not Damon Lindelof. I know you really disliked his "mystery box" ted talk he did years ago, but pretty much everything he starts has been excellent. The problem is he has stepped away and done other things and his successors have ruined them.

The only criticism I could levy on him is that he mainly does nostalgic material. I think it's well put together material though. I think this will be a test, as he does get a chance to be on the finishing end of something in this case.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2019, 09:55:03 AM »
Maybe the Rise is of Ben Solo?  I mean he is still a Skywalker!  Maybe he is redeemed, or maybe it is a remark of Luke Skywalker ultimate win after death, as he understands more of the force than anyone else.  This concept that with the force losers dying and the left over force users getting stronger and stronger, this idea of their essence or presence being within those left over.  Maybe the true lightside doesn't just absorb their powers, but partners with their spirits...and the the force spirits lending their power and wisdom.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2019, 06:12:45 PM »
Apparently Palpatine is making some kind of appearance in Episode 9.

They better not try to make him suddenly the main villain.