Author Topic: Soul Calibur 2 Controls  (Read 8841 times)

Offline Feep

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« on: February 07, 2003, 03:39:55 PM »
Well, importing the Soul Calibur 2 arcade controller from Japan is definitely not a hassle I want to undetake, and as I understand it, there is no confirmed U.S. version announced as of yet. How is Namco going to effectively implement the controls on a GC controller? Part of the intuitivity of the SC was the fact that there are ONLY four buttons, which were easily able to be pressed simultaneously or quick tapped (i.e. A then B REALLY fast after it), but with a controller, your thumb is basically the only digit that hits buttons. I suppose throws will have to be implemented using the L and R buttons fo A_B+G grabs, but the excessively important A+B and B+K combinations are going to be tough. How do you all think the controller will be used to accomplish this? And PLEASE, oh PLEASE Namco...don't use the Z button. I hate the Z button. With a passion.
Al' Ellisande, Al' Ellisande. Arek du arest cont alle axio, te arira.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 03:50:13 PM »
god i love the gameplay system of Tekken and Soul Caliber...they are so intuitiive....you basically only need to know how motion works...i love that. If you press down and forward you will do a slanted kick or sword slash.....bless Namco......and Sega(love vf4).
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Sullichin

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 05:05:12 PM »
Just like THPS, I would imagine Soul calibur would be hard to control at first but then smooth as a baby's butt after some practice. I can't wait!
NIN is teh roxor.

Nintelligent Network :: Smart Nintendo Coverage - Reviews, Guides, Wallpaper, Screenshots, News, and more.

Offline Yuckmud

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 07:40:06 PM »
I love the GCN's controller. But NEVER for a fighting game. Sorry, thats just how I feal.

If you want the real deal get that special controller there making just for SC2 or do what I did, get an X-Arcade. I tried Bloody Roar on it and it works great. It makes the game FUN! I also tried it on Melee but didn't play it much because I have the older verson of the button layout.

But with the cube's controlle, they might use the main buttons. And maybe the L and R buttons for the block. I wouldn't see them using the Z button unless it's for the charge up attack. Then maybe they would use it. But I'm sure after you practice with it you'll like it.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 08:53:37 PM »
it will prolly be L and R to throw, Z to soul charge, B to Block,  A for horizontal attack, Y for vertical attack, and X for kick.

Offline kelleman

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 11:42:01 PM »
have none of you ever played the original Soul Calibur on DreamCast?  if that is anything to go by, you'll be using the analog stick more and the button layout is similar to the GCN's.  Only 4 buttons are needed.  This isn't Street Fighter!
One Ring to rule them all...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 12:44:03 AM »
Im thinking the controls will be just fine. I was sceptical about THPS at first, but in the end I had no trouble pulling 5million combos. The GCN controller is awesome.
LZ 2005

Offline GodZilly

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 02:13:29 AM »
Im still considering to get this title, but if I will then I'll order it with 2 of these:
Gamecube Hori Digital Controller

I loved they SNES controller for Killer Instinct and I wont play fighting games with an analog stick, it just doesnt work, also it abuses my sticks too much .
You god damn better believe it!

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 02:19:02 AM »
don't worry folks,  the GC controller will be fine for SC.  and i agree with kelleman.  the analog stick is better to use than the d-pad in this game.

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 04:02:41 AM »
Never a fighter on GCN you say?  What about Smash Bros. Melee? I thought it was excellent for that.
Fin.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 06:45:57 AM »
There's a 100% chance that they'll let you configure the buttons to whatever configuration you like. Practically every fighter since Street Fighter II on SNES has done this.

And yes, if you want total control of your game, get an arcade stick. Getting the X-arcade is tempting for me, but i've got an arcade-quality Saturn stick that's been with me for a while, and i can't justify a $100 stick just for one game, even if it is Soul Calibur II.

"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 09:34:00 AM »
Actually arcade sticks arent always the best for everyone. I prefer moving my arms/hand less while playing, a controller is just enough. Like some others, if the GCN standard pad doesnt work for me, which I doubt, ill get the Hori Snes GCN pad.
LZ 2005

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 10:53:40 AM »
What i meant was that if you intend to play a fighter using the original buttons (and not combos like Punch + Kick), an arcade stick is the way to go. There's some button combinations that are almost impossible to pull of reliably.  This is true on basically every control pad because your right thumb is doing the same job that your entire right hand would be if you had a stick. Peforming a move that requires you to hit B and X is practically impossible without hitting A.

"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 02:42:10 PM »
With SC on the DC I just rested the controller on my knee, and used 3 fingers to press the buttons rather than my thumb.
I'll do the same with the GC controller. No problem.
Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?

Offline Mike C

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Controls
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 03:25:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
Actually arcade sticks arent always the best for everyone. I prefer moving my arms/hand less while playing, a controller is just enough. Like some others, if the GCN standard pad doesnt work for me, which I doubt, ill get the Hori Snes GCN pad.

Totally agree, I much prefer the normal pad to arcade sticks.  Soul Caliber 2 better have customoisable controls tho

Always There.