Author Topic: I got a PS4 Pro for free  (Read 12222 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I got a PS4 Pro for free
« on: March 08, 2020, 07:29:39 PM »
I was visiting my mom on Friday and I noticed a PlayStation 4 Pro in the TV stand. I asked her why she has a game console. My mom bought a Sony HDTV during a Best Buy promotion a while back which included a PS4 Pro. She doesn't play video games. I've only seen her attempt a video game once in 1997. She tried Mario Kart 64 for maybe two minutes in which she held the control stick with her thumb and index finger. My mom didn't really want the PS4 Pro but won't ever turn down a free gift of any kind. She told me to just take it because no one else was using it.

The PS4 Pro was caked in dust. My mom never turned it on herself. The technician who installed the TV mount set up the PS4 Pro for her which is apparently the last time it was powered on. My mom didn't remember exactly when that was. She thought she bought the HDTV in 2018. I plugged the PS4 Pro in when I got home and the firmware was Version 4.73, dated 08/07/2017. Calling this "gently used" would be an overstatement.

I just ordered a second PS4 controller from Amazon (electric purple). I don't have any games yet. I've considered starting with Resident Evil 3 (for Jill) though I may wait for a sale since I have an entire generation to catch up on. I decided this will be my first digital only console. My understanding is PS4 discs are largely a means of installing data onto the HDD so it doesn't make much sense to me to have a bunch of additional discs and cases in my life. I recently closed on a house so I just don't want that clutter anymore. Switch will most likely be the last console I putz with physical media.

I am strongly considering replacing the PS4 Pro 1 TB HDD with a 1 TB SSD (EDIT: the HDD is 1 TB, not 500 GB). Has anyone done this? Is an SSD the investment? It seems pretty easy from some cursory googling. An SSD appears to save a few seconds, but those add up.

I originally planned to get a PlayStation 5 at launch since I kept kicking the can down the road on a PS4. For anyone who wants to laugh at my continued indecision and procrastination, I believe I've stated a few times on NWR that my plan was to get a PS4 in 2015. This delays those plans by at least three years. I mostly play games on Switch, and plan to get the Switch version of games whenever possible.

If anyone previously added me on PSN, I'm not using thesuperamazing anymore. My PSN Online ID is Catsylvania. I created it years ago but never really did an anything with it. I'm going to start using that from now on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:58:32 PM by Adrock »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: I got a PS4 Pro for free
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
Even at that price, you got ripped off. ZING!!!

Khushrenada - Still a Nintendo Loyalist
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:17:48 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:09:42 PM »
A friend hooked me up with a website that sells cheap download codes. I got God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn - Complete Edition for $11.88 total.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 12:10:44 AM »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:27:07 AM »
While it seems to go against your desire to avoid additional "stuff" I recommend all PS4 owners to get a PSVR. My favorite experiences on the machine have been with games like Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, and Farpoint.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 02:39:27 PM »
Nice score!

Myself, I don't have interest in a PS4. With games like Crash and Spyro showing up on Switch, I just don't have a reason to get one. While I'd need to double check a list to see for sure, the only game which comes to mind I would want is Final Fantasy XV, but it has a very mixed reception so I doubt I'm missing anything special. There's probably also an exclusive Tales game or two that I"m forgetting about. I also don't have a 4k TV and have no need for one yet.

I can relate to the part about planning to get a system but keep pushing it off. That happened to me with the PS3. I had planned to pick up one for all the games not appearing on Wii, but it never ended up happening. The closest I came was ordering one from an Amazon pricing mistake of $40, but they cancelled it. I also remember pondering another deal for $150 for a while, but talked myself out of it for reasons I now forget. Back in 2018 I had a similar experience as this and received my older bro's Xbox 360 and over 50 games, so now I no longer have a reason to get a PS3 as most of the stuff I was planning to get wasn't exclusive.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »
I would not recommend getting a PS VR. Besides being overpriced, the resolution on that thing is so low I felt like I had a 3DS strapped to my face when I tried one out via a 30 day Sony trial promotion. If Sony ever puts out a headset with decent resolution, there are VR games I could recommend, though, such as Until Dawn: Rush of Blood; Tetris Effect; and I believe it's called Super Hypercube?

There are a number of PS4 games I could recommend based on your tastes, but I can't think of any Nintendo-esque games on PS4 that aren't already on Switch.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:55:38 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 11:54:01 PM »
I got my controller and Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD today. Installation was fairly straightforward. The plastic hard drive tab was more difficult to remove than expected. The SSD itself is slimmer than the included HDD. It's fine once screwed into the drive bay. After that, just download the system software onto a USB thumb drive, insert it into the console, boot up in safe mode (hold the Power button for seven seconds) then follow the prompts. I didn't have anything on the HDD so I didn't bother backing up anything.

God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are both over 45 GB. There aren't too many more games that size I want to play. I'm looking at Spider-Man, The Last of Us Remastered, The Last of Us Part II, Uncharted 4: Thief's End, and Uncharted: Lost Legacy. I should be okay with 1 TB. I certainly wasn't considering 2 TB as it's nearly twice as much. If it comes down to it, I'll buy a hard drive enclosure of the 1 TB HDD that came with the console and use it as an external HDD.

The SSD is pretty speedy despite not the PS4 Pro not taking full advantage of the SSD's potential. I'm happy with it though I don't think I would have gotten it had I not gotten the console for free.
While it seems to go against your desire to avoid additional "stuff" I recommend all PS4 owners to get a PSVR.
I considered PlayStation VR. Not for its current price. My comment about clutter was about physical games. With patches, physical games are already losing value. If they're not running off the Blu Ray discs, why bother?
There are a number of PS4 games I could recommend based on your tastes, but I can't think of any Nintendo-esque games on PS4 that aren't already on Switch.
Well, recommend some games you like.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 12:51:33 AM »
I considered PlayStation VR. Not for its current price. My comment about clutter was about physical games. With patches, physical games are already losing value. If they're not running off the Blu Ray discs, why bother?

Because when stuff gets delisted from PSN (and stuff DOES get delisted from PSN on occasion, not to mention PS4's PSN will end someday), you still have a version of the game you can play. I don't trust any of these companies to NOT yank their titles for any reason at any time, so I have a large physical collection.

Well, recommend some games you like.

Adrock, I literally have around 140 different PS4 games (on a side note, ****...I've never stopped to count them all until now) sitting on my shelf right here, on top of probably at least half that number digital. They span Action games, RPGs, 1st Person Shooters, 3rd Person Shooters, Adventure games (both the Zelda/Horizon variety and the Telltale variety), Horror games, Platformers, etc. They've managed to stay on that shelf despite me occasionally pulling lesser stuff out to trade in from time to time, so they all have something I could recommend about them. It helps to know what kind of games people like to play 1st so I can narrow the list down a bit.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:55:41 AM by broodwars »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 04:31:54 AM »
Dang, lucky get!
I don't have (or really want) a PS4, but if I lucked into one here's what I would get:
1. Resogun, horizontal shoot-em-up very blatantly copying from Defender. Looks really great, plays very well. I was kinda instantly hooked when I tried this.

2.NieR Automata, I like Platinum action games, I like robots, I like good music. This has all 3 of those and seems highly regarded. Bring this to Switch, Square!

3. Journey, Ico, and the Shadow of the Colossus remake are all on PS4 right? Think they all appeal to Nintendo fans.

I don't know much about Bloodborne, Sekiro, God of War, Spider-Man, etc., so won't comment there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »
Because when stuff gets delisted from PSN (and stuff DOES get delisted from PSN on occasion, not to mention PS4's PSN will end someday), you still have a version of the game you can play. I don't trust any of these companies to NOT yank their titles for any reason at any time, so I have a large physical collection.
This is largely situational. The games I’m even remotely interested in on this platform probably won’t get delisted, and even if they eventually are, I’ll likely be done with them or I won’t care enough to kick up a fuss about them. I paid $5.29 for Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition. I won’t lament the loss of money if my SSD dies and the game is delisted. I acknowledge that not everyone is in the same boat as me. If I paid $60 then bought the DLC, I’d probably be saltier if the game gets delisted.

I’ve softened on the you-still-have-a-version-of-the-game-you-can-play stance largely due to patches. I’m simply not going to play unpatched day one versions of the vast majority of modern games. I have limited time for games. Given the choice to play a potentially broken version of a game and not playing that at all, I’d opt for the latter almost every time.

I’d similarly liken this situation to a movie I have on VHS. I don’t even have a VCR anymore. If anything happens to that tape, I have no other options other than to just move on with my life. Again, I acknowledge that not everyone sees it this way. As such, I’m glad physical games are still available for those who want any sort of access to them.

Also, I think I just care less about Sony’s hardware. There’s a reason I kept kicking the can down the road with PS4. I play them less, and I don’t buy nearly as many games. Going all digital for a Sony platform in particular works well for me. The plan is to eventually go all digital on Nintendo hardware as well.
Adrock, I literally have around 140 different PS4 games (on a side note, ****...I've never stopped to count them all until now) sitting on my shelf right here, on top of probably at least half that number digital. They span Action games, RPGs, 1st Person Shooters, 3rd Person Shooters, Adventure games (both the Zelda/Horizon variety and the Telltale variety), Horror games, Platformers, etc. They've managed to stay on that shelf despite me occasionally pulling lesser stuff out to trade in from time to time, so they all have something I could recommend about them. It helps to know what kind of games people like to play 1st so I can narrow the list down a bit.  ;)
That’s fair. I grossly underestimated the amount of games you own.

I generally stick to series rather than genres, but I’m open to trying new games if people are really passionate about them. To give you an idea of what games I like, here’s my top ten (today, maybe 4 to 10 will be different tomorrow):

1. Super Metroid
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Metroid Prime
5. Resident Evil 4
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
8. Super Mario Bros. 3
9. Final Fantasy VI
10. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Honorable mentions: Tetris, Mario Kart 64, Valkyrie Profile, Super Mario Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid, Dragon’s Crown (I’m serious).

Don’t @ me if I didn’t list a game y’all like.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »
OK, that gives me a pretty good idea what you're into. I'll put something together when I get home.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 07:27:07 PM »
Alright, so what I've gathered from your list is that you like games that emphasize exploration, but you also like platformers and some shooters & RPGs.

Some PS4 games I would recommend to you. Judging by your posts, you may already own some of these. I'm attempting to not list games available on Switch as well:

Adventure Games:

- Bloodborne/Nioh - My recommendation here is based on whether you want the BETTER experience or the one that's easier to get into. Bloodborne is an amazing game, and it was my 1st so-called "Soulsborne" game. Highly recommended for the gothic atmosphere; frenetic combat; and the ridiculous amount of exploration. However, From Software games have their high difficulty reputation for a reason, and so it may not appeal to you as a 1st game in that style.

Alternatively, I would recommend Nioh, a game that isn't as good as Bloodborne but which is a much better introduction to this style of game. It's level-based instead of Metroid-style, everything is explained much clearer than From Software has EVER managed, and there's a ton of content here if you really want to delve into it. It also has a sequel coming out in a few days, so the original is pretty cheap these days.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Another good introductory to the Soulsborne-style games, but not as good as Nioh. Really well-executed Star Wars story, and it has a Metroid Prime-style map that's just excellent.

- God of War 2018 & Horizon: Zero Dawn - You already know about these games, so I'm just adding my recommendation.

-A Plague Tale: Innocence - This is a stealth puzzle game, so your mileage may vary, but it's one of the best linear Adventure games I've played on PS4.

- The Dishonored Series - This flat-out is a stealth series, though there are plenty of non-stealth options. If you can find them cheap (and you can), it's worth giving the series a try.

- Shadow of the Colossus PS4 - This remake looks outright amazing, and if you've NEVER played Shadow of the Colossus, you should. You just...should.

- Journey to the Savage Planet - It's just flat-out an 11 hour Metroid Prime game with light crafting. I really enjoyed it.

- Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - If you haven't played an AC game, this is the one I'd recommend because it's not really an AC game. In fact, the AC elements are the worst aspects of the game. Just great exploration & sailing.

- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Just a really cool linear Adventure game in general.

Shooters (1st & 3rd):

- Resident Evils 7, 2 Remake (has a demo on PSN), & Resident Evil Revelations 2 (it's on Switch, too, but it's probably cheaper on PS4 and probably runs better).

- The Evil Within 2 - Yes, 2. I don't recommend people play Evil Within 1. You don't really need to have played the 1st to enjoy the 2nd, and the 2nd is just a WAY better game with a satisfying conclusion & a coherent story.

- The Bioshock Collection - If you've never played Bioshocks 1 & 2, they're an amazing experience. Just don't play Infinite. Or do. I just hate that game.

- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 - One of my favorite games on the system. Online-only, though.

- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - Best SP Campaign in the series, IMO.

- Titanfall 2: The best SP shooter Campaign on PS4, just for the sheer variety of stuff you do.

RPGs:

- The Final Fantasy 7 Remake (has a demo on PSN).

- Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ - I'm actually playing this game right now and quite enjoying it. I plan on writing more about this game elsewhere when I'm done, but it's a fun anime-esque action RPG in the Persona mold. And speaking of which...

- Persona 5 Royal - Yes, you could play the original version for cheap, but Royal is changing and adding so much that I can't recommend the original version in good faith.

Family/Action:

- Spider-Man - Again, you already know about this game. Just adding that recommendation.

- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - This is a remake of a PS2 game that adds some much-needed tweaks to XP gaining and has a framerate better than the PS2's 5 frames per second. I quite enjoyed this beat 'em up with those changes.

- Concrete Genie - I actually never got through this one, though I mean to get back to it. It's just stupidly charming.

- Ratchet & Clank 2016 - I hate the original Ratchet game, but really like this remake despite some of the dated references & the movie tie-in cutscenes.

- Knack 2 - The Knack series gets a bad rap because the 1st game just is so spectacularly mediocre, but I actually enjoyed the sequel a fair bit.

- Resogun - This was considered the best PS4 launch game for good reason.

- Unravel 1 & 2 - I just find these games very charming.

- Valley - Short-ish PSN Indie games where you run around ruined environments in a suit that lets you run like Sonic & jump like Mario. I found it to be a really calming game.

- Flower - If you never played this on PS3, it's an interesting experience. I still use it to calibrate my TV every time I get a new one. Great colors.

Odds & Ends:

- King's Quest - One of my favorite P&C-style (though no P&C) Adventure games of recent years.

- Tales From the Borderlands - The best-written Borderlands game & the best Telltale game in general. No, you don't have to be a Borderlands fan to enjoy it. It's REALLY broadly-written.

- Onrush - an extremely overlooked team-based racing game that's designed like a MP shooter. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's worth checking out if you're curious.

- Little Nightmares - an Indie horror/platforming game I'm quite fond of.

That'll get you started.  ;)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 06:06:05 PM »
Of the games broodwars listed, these are on Switch:

Assassin's Creed 4 (and on Wii U)
Journey to the Savage Planet (apparently releasing on Switch in June)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Unravel Two (but not the first one)
Valley
Little Nightmares (Complete Edition)

The BioShock Collection has also been rumoured to release on Switch, but nothing official yet.

Just figured I'd try to be helpful by noting these. I can't vouch for how well any of them run on Switch.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:08:39 PM by Mop it up »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
Of the games broodwars listed, these are on Switch:

Assassin's Creed 4 (and on Wii U)
Journey to the Savage Planet (apparently releasing on Switch in June)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Unravel Two (but not the first one)
Valley
Little Nightmares (Complete Edition)

Just figured I'd try to be helpful by noting these. I can't vouch for how well any of them run on Switch.

Much appreciated. The Switch eShop is an Eldrich Horror that's impossible to keep up with. I figured Little Nightmares might be on there, but I didn't know Valley & Unravel 2 were. I knew AC 3 Remastered & Rogue had hit Switch, but not AC 4. I'd just plain forgotten that Hellblade was on Switch. I didn't think anyone cared enough about Valley to port it to Switch. It flew under the radar on the other consoles.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 06:15:49 PM »
Yeah, the eShop is a mess, I used GameFAQs as a reference (hopefully it's accurate). I can see missing AC 4 on Switch, as it wasn't released stand-alone, and is a part of the Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection which includes 4 and Rogue. I may check out a couple of these meself, I was always curious about AC 4 but never picked it up for Wii U, and Valley and Unravel Two sound interesting.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 06:21:03 PM »
Assassin's Creed 4 runs really well on Switch and really feels good to play on a portable device.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 12:15:36 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been dealing with some final house stuff before settlement then some dipshit stole a bunch of **** from my car. No physical damage, surprisingly. Maybe I’ll start a new topic in General chat because I’m curious if this happened to anyone else here.

Thanks for the suggestions, broodwars. There are some games I completely forgot about, and some I’m definitely not going to play. I can’t do most games in first-person. I’ve mentioned they give me headaches before, but I forgot to mention that again, and I don’t expect anyone to remember. For the most part, I will be waiting for sales. God of War should keep me busy for a while. I don’t know if I’ll ever even open Horizon Zero Dawn. For the price I got it, I was willing to take a chance.

Regarding the eshop, yes, it’s disorganized. However, in my limited experience, the PlayStation Store just feels terribly unfriendly as well. Maybe I’m just doing this wrong, but there’s no wishlist while browsing the PlayStation Store through the PS4. I googled this, and it seems like you can only add to a wishlist through a browser.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »
Regarding the eshop, yes, it’s disorganized. However, in my limited experience, the PlayStation Store just feels terribly unfriendly as well. Maybe I’m just doing this wrong, but there’s no wishlist while browsing the PlayStation Store through the PS4. I googled this, and it seems like you can only add to a wishlist through a browser.

Yeah, I don't use the PS4's version of the PSN store if I can help it. The website version is just so much better in every way.

Regarding 1st person games, I still think RE7 is worth trying. There is a demo for the game that's completely unrepresentative of the full game, but it would give you an idea how the game's movement feels. RE7 was designed to be played in VR, so it's very slow-paced and methodical to accommodate people getting sick playing in VR. I think you might not have the same headache issues you would have playing a Titanfall or CoD game. Unfortunately, I think that would also rule out Valley, which is 1st person and can be fast-paced per the game's traversal mechanics.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:23:56 PM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:28 PM »
Just FYI, PSN has a massive sale going on right now, and quite a few of the games on my recommended list are part of that sale if you're interested.

Kind of amazed that Odin Sphere, even on sale, is still $30, though. That's Atlus for you, I guess.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »
Odin Sphere is pretty awesome though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 12:48:37 PM »
Heh, been in a similar boat to Adrok on dragging my feet to get a PS4 so this is great reading for when I finally do get one. Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, and Spiderman were the main three I wanted to get, and a lot of these other recommendations sound good, though any 3rd party titles I may just pick up on PC once I finally upgrade that. So games like Jedi Fallen Order and Monster Hunter Worlds may go on PC instead.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast