Author Topic: Informal survey? Do you consume local news?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Informal survey? Do you consume local news?
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:26:44 PM »
Just curious who out there consumes local news in any medium? Local newspapers, TV broadcasts, or radio? I am just curious.

I am also trying to gauge interest in local news outlets that are digital only. Are there any "newspapers" that are digital only that only cover local news that you are aware of or read, visit regularly?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Informal survey? Do you consume local news?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
I visit the three local affiliate websites on a regular basis and occasionally pickup the free local newspaper. I also follow a small operation called www.spokane-news.com They report a lot of stuff from the police band and their Facebook and Twitter feeds are pretty up to the minute.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
I rarely watch the local news.  I follow some outlets on Twitter, to keep myself mostly up-to-date, but I don't actively read their sites.  I actually following the news from my home town more closely, to help keep an eye on any local events in active pursuit of FOMO.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »
I read articles of interest to me from the twice-weekly local paper through their mobile app exclusively (even though the paper is delivered to my home for free.) I also listen to the local morning radio show most days while getting ready to go to work. I also regularly dip in to national radio news coverage through apps like NPR One and CBC Radio.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
As far as local news channels I tend to get local news from the Facebook feeds of the official local stations and sometimes I watch it on TV.   There is a few newspapers here but I don't really have a subscription to them.  I rarely read the newspaper unless it is in a doctors office, bus or if I want to look at the sales in the sunday newspaper I would purchase it then.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:09:25 PM »
I finally made it to Idaho. The first thing I noticed is there are considerably fewer newspapers there than there were in Texas. Now to be fair there are fewer people and cities all around but it seems there are whole towns here that don't have any local news overage at all. That wasn't the case in the part of Texas where I was.

I also noticed, even the weekly paper which are typically hyper local, was mostly filler very little local interest content, not even a sports page, and not a single story with a byline. It was all community calendar type stuff. Very different from the newspaper I just left, which had a smaller circulation and total coverage area.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
Maybe you should start a community paper out there for those under-served communities? just a thought.
You could be the next Charles Foster Kane
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »
Maybe you should start a community paper out there for those under-served communities? just a thought.
You could be the next Charles Foster Kane

Funny you should mention this. I had a discussion with a newspaper editor about "news desserts" and he suggested I look into starting a newspaper out here. What's really ironic is the last guest I interviewed for my podcast also came to me with the proposal of starting a community newspaper right here. It's just talk right now but we are making progress.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »
Is this the kind of local paper they have in Texas?

http://www.grandcoulee.com/

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 09:13:10 AM »
Is this the kind of local paper they have in Texas?

http://www.grandcoulee.com/

Very similar, but most don't have websites or digital editions. Even that one looks a hundred times better than the ones I am seeing in rural Idaho.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
After much consideration I decide to partner with a person who has web site experience and do a local community news blog instead of a print newspaper. I think it makes more sense and if done right can serve the market better.