Author Topic: Mario Maker 2 To Be Updated for Online Friend Multiplayer  (Read 1089 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Mario Maker 2 To Be Updated for Online Friend Multiplayer
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »

Nintendo will let you play online with your friends at some point.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/50837/mario-maker-2-to-be-updated-for-online-friend-multiplayer

Super Mario Maker 2 will be updated post-launch to add support for online multiplayer with friends according to a Nintendo Treehouse representative at Nintendo's E3 2019 Treehouse Live stream.

The issue became known following our own reporting after a Mario Maker 2 press event in May. While Super Mario Maker 2 will feature competitive and co-op online multiplayer at launch, you will not be able to play with your friends online. You can play with your friends locally, but the online component will only be playable with random players initially.

Super Mario Maker 2 is due out June 28.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Maker 2 To Be Updated for Online Friend Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
What was the actual wording of the comment? I just want to make sure people aren't jumping to conclusions here.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »
It’s so weird that this is even had to be announced instead of something that was just in the game to begin with. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:29:01 PM »
I remember with the first Mario Maker that originally all the items were unlocked over a few days.  This did not go over well as people wanted to have access to everything for their levels right away and Nintendo quickly had a day-one patch (maybe day two) that delivered all the items right away.  So I guess it is fitting that Mario Maker 2 would also have a day-one patch to fix a WTF design decision.

Nintendo's corporate culture must not be very friendly towards employees speaking out about decisions that don't agree with.  I can't believe that no one at the company pointed this out.  It is so obvious they either must be afraid to step out of line or the ultimate decision maker is REALLY stubborn.  But notice that once they reveal the details to the public and everyone shits on them they back pedal and promise a fix.  Either they don't value their employees' opinions but do value their customers' or they don't receive any negative feedback until the idea is revealed to the public.

At least now they have the ability to fix it.  In the old days if Nintendo implemented a feature in an obviously stupid way, tough luck!  Stuck on the cart or disc forever!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
I remember with the first Mario Maker that originally all the items were unlocked over a few days.  This did not go over well as people wanted to have access to everything for their levels right away and Nintendo quickly had a day-one patch (maybe day two) that delivered all the items right away.  So I guess it is fitting that Mario Maker 2 would also have a day-one patch to fix a WTF design decision.
The nine-day wait to unlock all items was at least defensible. It was meant to encourage players to learn how to use the items they have before throwing a bunch of **** into stages because level design is really m-f-ing hard. I get why everyone wanted everything immediately, but I also get why Nintendo was initially gatekeeping items.

The inability to play online with your own friends especially when you’re now paying for Nintendo’s online service does not make any sense and is not defensible by any measure.

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »
Either they don't value their employees' opinions but do value their customers' or they don't receive any negative feedback until the idea is revealed to the public.

I've noticed that too.  Obviously I will did not grow up in Japan so culturally I won't understand.  To name one example, Zelda Wind Waker.  You have to seriously reply a song *every* time you want to change the wind direction whilst sailing?  The addition of the magic sail in the HD remake pretty much guaranteed that it was a design flaw.  This is just 1 of 100 examples but each situation I wonder "Why did *anyone* think this was OK!?"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Considering Nintendo's adamant stance on taking the time to release a full game (games like Zelda), not over working their devs in crunches (Animal Crossing), and they newfound love of long-term support via DLC (Mario Tennis) I wouldn't be surprised if this was a calculated move to balance their target release date and dev work load, they just misread how it would be perceived to their fans and now their "back pedaling" is really them just coming out and confirming what was already planned to happen at a later date.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast