Author Topic: John Plays Yoshi's Island DS and Mario 64 on Wii U  (Read 3270 times)

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
John Plays Yoshi's Island DS and Mario 64 on Wii U
« on: April 02, 2015, 04:33:55 AM »

Holding out hope for Super Mario 64 DS (Wii U)

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/video/40009/john-plays-yoshis-island-ds-and-mario-64-on-wii-u

As of yesterday, we've got two new systems to welcome into the Wii U Virtual Console library. Yes, that's right, those long awaited Nintendo 64 and Nintendo DS games are finally here. Now it's time to see how Nintendo has done bringing these games to the Wii U. Below are two videos diving deep into the games and their virtual console interfaces.

Offline kokumaker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: John Plays Yoshi's Island DS and Mario 64 on Wii U
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »
There are exactly zero display options for Yoshi's Island DS that appear workable to me... which is disappointing. DS games that don't use both screens to display all the action, but instead use the lower screen for maps, inventory, etc., would seem much better suited to the Wii U's dual-screen setup. I expect that Mario Kart DS, for example, will be a lot more functional from a display perspective.

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »
There are exactly zero display options for Yoshi's Island DS that appear workable to me... which is disappointing. DS games that don't use both screens to display all the action, but instead use the lower screen for maps, inventory, etc.

The more I play it, the more I agree with you. This I get why Nintendo picked a Yoshi game from a marketing standpoint (brand awareness and all that) but it was far from being the best choice. Especially since it really doesn't even use the touch screen in a major way.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 04:01:32 AM »
also, you're forgetting the fact that Yoshi's Island DS is some of the worst ass-cheese Artoon ever shat upon store shelves...

I'm actually interested in playing a game or two with the 'Tate" mode, like Contra 4 or Sonic Rush, but... man, Yoshi's Island DS is one of the most heart-breakingly disappointing 2D platformers for the DS. I'd have rather gotten Wario: Master of Disguise (Also an awful game), Kirby Squeak Squad (Also an awful game) or like... I dunno, Starfy or Super Princess Peach.

What I'm REALLY hoping for is that we get Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time day in date with one another; both a digital release of the Wii version and a DS VC version.

Offline IssunZX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »
Out of curiosity, have you experienced any lag input with the Wii-U version of Mario 64? I'd seen at least one person on another forum complain that there appeared to be some slight lag on the Wii-U version, but not the Wii version, which has made me a bit hesitant about upgrading.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »
also, you're forgetting the fact that Yoshi's Island DS is some of the worst ass-cheese Artoon ever shat upon store shelves...

I'm actually interested in playing a game or two with the 'Tate" mode, like Contra 4 or Sonic Rush, but... man, Yoshi's Island DS is one of the most heart-breakingly disappointing 2D platformers for the DS. I'd have rather gotten Wario: Master of Disguise (Also an awful game), Kirby Squeak Squad (Also an awful game) or like... I dunno, Starfy or Super Princess Peach.

That's the reason Nintendo is releasing it first so they can trick as many people into buying it as possible.  It's easily the worst game they published on the DS so it's smart to release it right now to take advantage of the "OMG DS games on the eShop hype" to get a few extra sales.  Since as soon as literally any other DS game is released people will realize never to touch that **** ever again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
That's really bizarre reasoning. Nintendo could have just not wasted any time and resources emulating a supposedly bad game. Releasing it first to trick people into buying it is such a convoluted plan because it would have to sell enough to cover that initial cost to even be worth the trouble.

If Nintendo is going to take a risk on something that has limited appeal, might as well translate and release Mother 3.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Am I the only one who kind of enjoyed this game? It wasn't great by any means, but it was a perfectly serviceable platformer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
I liked Yoshi's Island DS, and I don't get the hate for it.

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »

Out of curiosity, have you experienced any lag input with the Wii-U version of Mario 64? I'd seen at least one person on another forum complain that there appeared to be some slight lag on the Wii-U version, but not the Wii version, which has made me a bit hesitant about upgrading.
Not that I've noticed. I'd challenge anyone who mentions lag input on an N64 game to go back and play it on the original. To me it feels just as awkward as Mario 64 always has ;)