Author Topic: I'm not making it up, it's in the NEWZ, DEWD.  (Read 347911 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I'm not making it up, it's in the NEWZ, DEWD.
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »
A thread for all those crazy/sad/disturbing/stupid/weird news stories you run across everyday
that might not actually be worthy of a thread all on their own.

PepsiCo iPhone app draws fire for stereotyping
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- PepsiCo Inc. is facing criticism for an iPhone application that promises to help men "score" with two dozen stereotypes of women by giving users pickup lines and a scoreboard to keep track of their conquests.

An apology by the company - which is using the app "Amp up before you score" to market its Amp energy drink - is igniting more online criticism. But the company is sticking by the app.

[...]

The application lets users select from stereotypes of women, like the "foreign exchange student" or "nerd" or "cougar." Then it offers possible pickup lines like, "Wasn't I in Space Academy with you?" for the nerd.

It also offers other hints, like links to world news for the foreign exchange student. For the "rebound girl" - who has just broken up with her boyfriend - it offers maps of local ice cream shops.

The app then lets users add women - along with name, date of the conquest and comments - to the user's "brag list," which can be shared online on sites like Facebook and Twitter.

[...]

The brouhaha generated new downloads on Wednesday and hundreds of new comments from users of the program, negative, positive and neutral.

"This is a great app for men, horrible app for women," wrote one user, who gave it a top rating of five stars. "Only download this app if you have been around the block a few times with different types of women."

Quotes from the app
Quote from: Sorority Girl
Can I tappa your gamma?
Quote from: Bookworm
I don't have an insidious bone in my body. Well, that's not true.
Quote from: Nerd
Your mouth says, "Shields up!", but your eyes say, 'A hull breach is imminent."

Someone please download this app from the app store and post some of the more hilarious pick up lines.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:57:05 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: I'm not making it up, it's in the NEWS.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:05:36 PM »
Are you determined to create every more threads in the Funhouse than anyone else?  Do we really need thread for random posts?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
Are you determined to create every more threads in the Funhouse than anyone else?  Do we really need thread for random posts?

Better than a thread for every stupid news story we come across.. like that lil fat baby that was denied insurance or something i just heard about..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »

No. we need a thread for random NEWS stories that happen to be interesting.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »
LOL that last pick up line is hilarious.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »
The kid who wasn't in the balloon's family was in "Wife Swap."  Twice.

WOOOOOOAHAHOAOAHOAHOHA

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »

WOOOOOOAHAHOAOAHOAHOHA

haha, that happened not too far from where I live, what a bunch of tards.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:11 AM »
OMG Mom watches her baby get run over by a train.... baby survives. All Caught on Camera
Heart-stopping CCTV footage of a six-month-old baby's miraculous escape when his pram was struck by a suburban train in Melbourne's east has been released.

The baby's pram rolled off a platform at Ashburton railway station about 4pm (AEDT) yesterday and into the path of an oncoming train that pushed it some 30 metres along the track.

Emergency services personnel who rushed to the station found the six-month-old being cared for by his distraught mother, said Ambulance Victoria paramedic Jon Wright.

"Fortunately the train was slowing as it pulled into the station," Mr Wright said in a statement.

"The baby received a bump to his head and was distressed when we arrived.

"Luckily he was strapped into his pram at the time, which probably saved his life."

The boy was taken to the Royal Children's Hospital in a stable condition.

Connex spokesman John Rees praised the male train driver's quick response.

"The train driver would have been extremely shocked by this incident," he told ABC Radio.

"He's used his training well and he has applied the brakes as hard as possible.

What could the mother have done to make the baby try so hard to get away from her?

But I really don't see how they can praise the train driver for his "quick response" when I didn't see him swerve the train to miss the baby. Now that would have been worth some praise.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »
Especially if he was somehow able to not only derail the train, but get it back on to the rails wihout mass casualties
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
Especially if he was somehow able to not only derail the train, but get it back on to the rails wihout mass casualties

Now that would make him an international hero and a man of legend.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »

Now that would make him an international hero and a man of legend.

I know. He'd have his own Budweiser "Men of Genious" ads devoted to him, and he'd probably replace that Dos Eques guy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:29:50 PM by EasyCure »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »

WOOOOOOAHAHOAOAHOAHOHA

Unfortunately it was a hoax.

Whats funny is the guy covering it on MSNBC when it landed said somethign along the lines of "Do we believe the alien... the boy is in side?"

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
Really? Link a clip or it didnt happen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »
If I was watching at my house, with my DVR, I could have hooked it up to my computer and saved a clip, but I didn't. I'll check for the clip on youtube though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 02:38:57 PM »
BnM: aiding in keeping the interwebz lazy

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »
It was a live broadcast and from the threads I've seen around on the subject, most people were watching CNN since they started covering it LIVE first.

I switched to MSNBC about 20 minutes before the balloon landed and it was a black male anchor that had mentioned something about the alien(s)..... the boy actually even being in the balloon. It was a quick slip of the tongue and I'm not sure many people caught it(since they were all watching CNN).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »
You guys have to find some humor in this one. 2 pics included

German arm wrestler shows off his single Popeye-esque limb

Boasting muscles a superhero would be proud of, Matthias Schlitte has good reason to be considered the toast of the German arm wrestling circuit.

But a closer look reveals that only ONE of his arms is bestowed with bulging biceps.

The 22-year-old’s whopping right forearm measures nearly 18in – and is in stark contrast to his puny left arm.

Despite its odd appearance, Matthias’s Popeye-esque limb has strong-armed him into first place in a host of competitions, including the Iron Curtain Armwars in Blackburn and the German Championships in Haltern, this year.

Matthias, who has been involved in the sport since he was 16, said: ‘Many people’s first association with arm wrestling is a beer-soaked bar-table and drunken sailors – which is completely wrong.’

Of how he began his career, he explains: ‘In 2004, a little bar in Haldensleben was looking for the strongest arm wrestler in the region – my first tournament and the beginning of my career.

‘Without any knowledge or practise I competed in the amateur-class up to 90kg – being only 16 years old with a weight of 65kg.

‘At first, older and more experienced fighters smiled at me for being so light-weighted, but after winning the contest the opinions changed immediately.’

2 things come to mind.

Idiocracy - Masterbaiter

Family Guy - Quagmire discovers the internet

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 11:21:59 PM »
I was surprised that he was a lefty.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 12:36:24 PM »

I'm not, the sickos usually are.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »

Quagmire?
Cause I would've though he was a switch hitter.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
It's cause he uses his right hand to work the mouse.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with this costume..... does that make me racist?

Target selling an Illegal Alien Costume, complete with Green Card
Target has pulled a Halloween costume that some in the Latino community found offensive.

The costume showed a space alien carrying a green card and included a prison-like jumpsuit with "Illegal Alien" stamped across the front.

When word of the costume got out, several Latino groups publicly complained that the costume was insensitive.

Executive director of the Coalition for Human Immigrant Rights, Angelica Salas, called the costume "distasteful, mean-spirited, and ignorant..." Lizette Olmos, national communications director for the League of United Latin American Citizens, referred to the costume as "really disturbing"

Target says that the costume was never intended to be on the website and blames the mistake on human error during data entry.

UPDATE: Anti-immigration groups are now using the costume as a rallying cry, and the head of ALIPAC will be conducting interviews next week wearing the costume. More details here*.

*Of course you have to expect this to get out of hand....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 04:58:08 PM »
Really, that shouldn't be racially insensitive.  Illegal aliens can come from anywhere and don't have to be latino at all.  The fact that they'd be upset about it does more to further the stereotype than the costume itself.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »
Really, that shouldn't be racially insensitive.  Illegal aliens can come from anywhere and don't have to be latino at all.  The fact that they'd be upset about it does more to further the stereotype than the costume itself.

This.

This is exactly why i hate sensitive pansy ass watch groups and the like.

I wish i took a picture of it, but I was at another halloween store last night with my girlfriend to see if we can find something for her (and give me ideas) for halloween, and I came across an alien mask that had a huge mustache and baseball cap attached to it. It was also dubbed part of an "illegal alien" costume, and frankly i thought it was hilarious because it looked like an alien version of Cheech Marin in "Born in East LA".

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
That's absolutely fucking retarded. Aliens and "Green Cards" do not equal Mexicans. The only problem with the costume is, it's not funny. Any costume where you have to write the words of what you're trying to be is a shitty costume.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA