Author Topic: Episode 555: Cardboard Box Hunter  (Read 3072 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 555: Cardboard Box Hunter
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »

Jon thinks this title is real clever; I even resisted the urge to ask him about collector's edition cardboard.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/46262/episode-555-cardboard-box-hunter

Everyone's eager to hear team RFN talk about Nintendo's new Cardboard Entertainment System, but you're going to have to wait till the second half of the show. James was late, so Greg takes over hosting New Business. Guillaume kicks off with LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, from way back on the PS3. He then looks at Thimbleweed Park, the retro-style point-and-click from the creators of Maniac Mansion and other classics of the genre. Jon is trudging around in the mud in Gears of War 4, on his Xbox One X - The World's Most Powerful Console. Greg wraps-up both the game and New Business with his thoughts on Xenoblade Chronicles 2. James isn't around to meet him with a high five, but they might find time later to compare notes.

James retakes the wheel after the break, to talk Nintendo Labo - Nintendo's just-announced cardboard construction toys for Switch. Apparently, Greg had been promising James would bring enough hot fire to shame the Sun, but he misjudged James' love of construction toys. Who on the show is going to be filling their home with piles of cardboard? Jon, but that's just the packing material for cat helmets.

Next week we'll be announcing our plans for our contractually-obligated second WiiWare RetroActive. Thanks to the fine folk at the Nintendo Reddit, we have a list of WiiWare exclusive titles to reference. You can let us know which of these games are winners, or just ask us questions via the inbox.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 555: Cardboard Box Hunter
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:59:38 PM »
The audio cuts out from 1:10:31 to 1:46:15 on my m4a copy. I've downloaded it twice and the same problem.

Offline Leon S Kennedy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:03:45 AM »
No audio on iphone podcast either

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:21:29 AM »
James is so gonna secretly buy the robot and run around home pretending to be a bad-ass robot.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:21:49 AM »
I actually played through Gears of War 4 in the last week too. I have been curious about playing it ever since it was shown at E3 2016. But I wasnt sure if I was going to like it because I didnt like the original GoW that came with my 360 years ago. But my taste in games has changed since then.
I saw GoW4 on Game Pass, so I downloaded it, played it through the campaign and I actually really liked it. Im kind of thinking about trying the older games again, starting with the Ultimate Edition remake.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
I think the issue may have happened during the uploading. Try deleting it and redownloading it now.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
I'd like to think that I ever-so-indirectly contributed to Jon's idea of James being a Labo Cam Girl. If this was around during the leadup to RFN 400, there would have been no need of a GoFundMe. ;)

I'd go even farther with the Big Foot Pizza idea. I theorize that as part of his leaving Pizza Hut, Reggie had a deal where one Pizza Hut in Redmond would continue to make Big Foot Pizzas indefintely. He's been eating those pizzas three times a day for almost 20 years, knowing that the day would come when the leftover cardboard would find a fantastic use. He's even had his family eat the pizzas as often as they could take it.

That's why Reggie was breaking character during the Nintendo Direct when Bill Trinen was advertising Yokai Watch. He was supposed to be mad at Bill for scarfing down the donuts, but Reggie was really thinking "Why couldn't they have written in pizza instead of donuts? We need the cardboard, man!"

Reggie truly plays the long game. That was the reason he was passed over, when Iwata made himself CEO of Nintendo of America. For years, Iwata would solictiously offer Reggie sushi, calamari, a whole host of Japanese dishes. And every time, Reggie would hold up his Big Foot Pizza and say "Thanks, but I'm good!" The sacrifices this man has made for Nintendo and for our entertainment will be long remembered!

Offline Ninferno

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
Glad to hear Greg's reflection on XC2; I happen to agree with him like 99.9%, including the comparison between it and XCX.

Anyway, great episode. Thank you.

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
Can't wait until this pops up on Google Play. I gotta hear the takes on cardboard

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »
Hey, sorry about the podcast. I resubmitted it to Google Play so let's see if that fixes it. They have the episode as "pending."
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »
Google Play Music is now fixed.

Stitcher is still full-on-kill
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 06:27:50 AM »
I'd like to think that I ever-so-indirectly contributed to Jon's idea of James being a Labo Cam Girl. If this was around during the leadup to RFN 400, there would have been no need of a GoFundMe. ;)

I'd go even farther with the Big Foot Pizza idea. I theorize that as part of his leaving Pizza Hut, Reggie had a deal where one Pizza Hut in Redmond would continue to make Big Foot Pizzas indefintely. He's been eating those pizzas three times a day for almost 20 years, knowing that the day would come when the leftover cardboard would find a fantastic use. He's even had his family eat the pizzas as often as they could take it.

That's why Reggie was breaking character during the Nintendo Direct when Bill Trinen was advertising Yokai Watch. He was supposed to be mad at Bill for scarfing down the donuts, but Reggie was really thinking "Why couldn't they have written in pizza instead of donuts? We need the cardboard, man!"

Reggie truly plays the long game. That was the reason he was passed over, when Iwata made himself CEO of Nintendo of America. For years, Iwata would solictiously offer Reggie sushi, calamari, a whole host of Japanese dishes. And every time, Reggie would hold up his Big Foot Pizza and say "Thanks, but I'm good!" The sacrifices this man has made for Nintendo and for our entertainment will be long remembered!

So your saying that not only will I be able to become a cardboard robot but I'll also smell like Pizza Hut pizza too? Sorry fellas. Looks like the ladies will be all mine now.

(Random Dude: What's he got that I haven't? Me: LABO!!!! Random Dude: Stupid PSVR. It's like female repellant. And then me and all the ladies tilt our heads back and laugh: Ha ha ha ha! )
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.