Author Topic: New Xbox Experience (NXE)  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
New Xbox Experience (NXE)
« on: November 27, 2008, 02:07:51 AM »
What does everyone think of the NXE so far? I can't say I'm a big fan of the UI. Compared to the blades it seems clunky and unnecessary. However, I love the ability to easily access media on your computer.

The avatars aren't very good, especially when put up against Miis, and I honestly don't even know what they're used for.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: New Xbox Experience (NXE)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 04:05:10 AM »
I liked the old menu so much better. It was easy to navigate. This just seems overly flashy. Sometimes a simple, yet effective menu is best.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 04:19:36 AM »
I think the design priorities suck, the entire first layer of the menu seems to consist only of ads and buying options while running a game you downloaded requires searching for one specific panel inside this whole mess that then opens a menu structure where you can go looking for your games. Contrast to the Wii where the system shows you a list of installed software right away and you have to pick the ad or shop icons to get ads or buying options.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 07:49:17 AM »
I absolutely love the Netflix streaming, I don't really like the rest any better or worse than the old way.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
Still didn't fix the convoluted nature of the interface and they made it even better with more ads horray!
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
It took me some time to get used to it, but I think I can handle the new interface quite easily. The only thing I don't like is that the menu always starts on Spotlight when I would rather have it on My XBox.

However, I love the ability to easily access media on your computer.

I've been wanting to do so, but with not much success. I don't have Windows Media Center. I tried to connect my PC through WMP 11, but it didn't even recognize my 360. On the 360 side it said that I needed a bunch of ports open, and I don't even know where exactly I should do that.
Wasn't there a thread for this kind of help?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »
It took me some time to get used to it, but I think I can handle the new interface quite easily. The only thing I don't like is that the menu always starts on Spotlight when I would rather have it on My XBox.

However, I love the ability to easily access media on your computer.

I've been wanting to do so, but with not much success. I don't have Windows Media Center. I tried to connect my PC through WMP 11, but it didn't even recognize my 360. On the 360 side it said that I needed a bunch of ports open, and I don't even know where exactly I should do that.
Wasn't there a thread for this kind of help?

I'm assuming you have Windows if you don't have WMC software the easiest and free way to do it is Zune software or TVersity. If you have OSX the easiest way is Nullriver's 360Connect (or Medialink if you have a PS3).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:12:24 PM »
Netflix = NXE rules. Also, my Avatar looks exactly like me, so that's another win. It's better than the old setup, it has so many more things to do, plus themes are fucking lame.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
I absolutely love the Netflix streaming, I don't really like the rest any better or worse than the old way.

Same here.  I signed up for a 2 week free trial, and I'm really tempted to continue my membership.  I think the new interface is a little clunky, but it's a lot better looking than the old one.  I like the friend setup a lot better, but I agree with Caliban about the startup.  It should automatically go to My Xbox.  It makes no sense to have it start anywhere else.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »
Has anybody tried installing a game to disk?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »

Well I installed Tales of Vesperia to make the load time like a optimized gamecube game or a DS game however I went from having 5.9 GB to a little under 200MB free. You definately need a 60 or a 120GB drive to take advantage of it since 20 doesn't cut it. The game install takes about 10 or so minutes, games that use the utility partition to help loading something like a map will actually increase loading times. Since the disc drive spins and loads what it needs to and the read and write heads will also load what it has to so then lets just say for this discussion a map. However when your running it off the harddrive first the read and write heads will have to load whatever the disc had to loan THEN the map thus INCREASING the load time.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

Yeah, Earth Defense Force 2017's menu load times are cut to less than a second that way, usually it's a pain to navigate the menus but with the install it's bearable. I also installed Eternal Sonata but since I didn't play it before installing I can't say if that did much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »
I've installed Mirror's Edge, and Naruto The Broken Bond. I don't care about the load times so much, but the noise reduction from the disc drive is very welcome.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 03:05:01 PM »
I have COD:WAW installed, definitely kills the load times, and having no DVD noise is great. I'm going to try to find a good used 120GB HDD, or hack a WD BEVS drive to use.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »

I installed Fallout 3.  I haven't noticed a difference in load times at all, but the game runs so much more quietly without the disc drive running.  I think saving the wear and tear on my drive is worth the trouble to install.  I only have a 20 GB drive, so I'll have to delete Fallout before I install another game.  But still, I think it's worth it.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »
I don't think I'll bother with installing Saints Row but EDF really needed it.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

I installed Fallout 3.  I haven't noticed a difference in load times at all, but the game runs so much more quietly without the disc drive running.  I think saving the wear and tear on my drive is worth the trouble to install.  I only have a 20 GB drive, so I'll have to delete Fallout before I install another game.  But still, I think it's worth it.

Well in the same essence you will be putting more wear and tear on the harddrive, the reason why it didn't help in fallout 3 is because F3 uses the utility partition to help out loading times but since everything is loaded off the harddrive the advantages of using the utility partition has been nullified.