Author Topic: Fable II  (Read 18583 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Fable II
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
Also it really didn't matter if you were good or evil again (fable 1 suffered from this as well)--I mean at the end you can choose any 3 outcomes regrards of your actions (you can be totally evil and still have the option of saving everyone--or be totally good and take the Ruler of the world option).

Eh?  That'd be MORE unrealistic if you were shoehorned into a path instead of having a choice...Imagine if real life was like that...You made a poor decision in your life, and your only option form then on was to only make even more poor decisions...THAT'D SUCK!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 01:22:06 PM »
No but you really shoudn't have that option without doing the work right?  I can see if they had mutilple "evil" endings and you can chose one or the other but damn I played as a saint and didn't get sh$t for an reward so you might as well be evil and claim all the gold because that's really important (not sure why buying houses gain you bonus to your stats but it does in this game).

Then if you want to see the good ending just pick it, which sucks.  Also at the end of the game where the make the final choice you wish the game used multple save files (just used one and autosaves--no option there unless you manually went to desktop and made a copy).  Otherwise you have to play the game over just to see the different outcomes.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »
Well you weren't being rewarded for your deeds, you were being rewarded for taking out Lucien... =)

damn I played as a saint and didn't get sh$t for an reward so you might as well be evil and claim all the gold because that's really important

Clearly you weren't such a good person then, huh? :cool;  (Shame on you if you didn't pick Love for the dog...)

I do agree that there should have been multiple save files, though...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
You don't have to be shoehorned but usually alternate endings are the results of many actions combining so if you e.g. weakened the big bad's army by destroying the infrastructure and making it hard to get food into the capital the people are doomed to starvation, no matter whether you decide to show mercy to the big bad later on. Also makes hunting for the endings more fun as you have to play more parts differently in subsequent runs.

Of course I haven't played either Fable game so I can't really say much about the specific case here but a "pick which ending cinematic you wish to see" prompt would be pretty damn lame.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 02:47:11 AM »
A guy I work with said that he was able to get it to constantly generate money by plugging in the play'n'charge kit, connecting it to the 360 controller, and leaving the game overnight (meaning that he'd get cash every 5 minutes or so since the game was still "active").  Then he bought an alchemist's shop, and was able to buy the experience potions over and over again until he maxed out and was able to slaughter the game.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 02:05:28 AM »
Is the play & charge necessary for something or was that just to prevent the batteries from running out? I'm using a wired controller so I don't have to worry about batteries.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 02:56:45 AM »
His rationale for using the play & charge was to keep the controller "plugged in".  If he was using the wireless controller, it would shut off after a while and the game would pause while it asked you to reconnect the controller.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2008, 04:35:51 AM »
Watch his Xbox RRoD soon.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2008, 08:48:06 AM »
A guy I work with said that he was able to get it to constantly generate money by plugging in the play'n'charge kit, connecting it to the 360 controller, and leaving the game overnight (meaning that he'd get cash every 5 minutes or so since the game was still "active").  Then he bought an alchemist's shop, and was able to buy the experience potions over and over again until he maxed out and was able to slaughter the game.

Does he only buy games that he can put in a password to skip to the last level?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »

Nope.  He just happened to notice the way the game worked, and figured out how to exploit it.  That's nothing like entering a cheat code; in fact, it exposes a flaw in the game design.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »

Nope.  He just happened to notice the way the game worked, and figured out how to exploit it.  That's nothing like entering a cheat code; in fact, it exposes a flaw in the game design.

The game generates gold for every 5 minutes whether the game is on or off, when you turn it on you will see over your character how much gold you made. I suppose they use a time stamp to figure out how much gold was gained and how much gold was lost(spouse/family upkeep).
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 06:09:21 PM »
He told me that when the game is shut off, you don't get as much gold as when you leave it on.  So if you exit the game and come back later, it gives you gold "overnight" but not as much as when you're actively playing.  He said the difference is huge, actually.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
So it's a "flaw in game design" when someone has to go out of their way to break it?  This isn't something that just pops up in your face, but something you have to WILLINGLY DO (by leaving the 360 on for hours and hours, which isn't a smart thing to do in the first place)...But whatever, it's not my business if people go out of their way to not actually play the game...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 03:34:59 AM »
Some people play a game to beat the game and beating may involve breaking the mechanics until nothing is left of the original.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
This game is laughably bad.

1. It is actually possible to develop cancer from the sheer amount of cockney this game exposes you to.

2. The NPCs just all around suck. There are a whopping 3 voice actors in the entire game, they repeat the same lines incessantly, even the intentional line where a woman says "Don't you hate it when people say the same things twice?" twice in a row, as if hanging a lantern on it is somehow going to make it less aggravating. It doesn't help that they're impressed by you standing there and pumping your arm for 10 seconds, after which they fall in love with you and incessantly demand that you marry them. I'm pretty sure Molyneaux wanted you to slaughter them and made them as irritating as possible to egg you into doing it.

3. The button layout makes it so pressing 3 of the 4 primary buttons on the controller will cause you to do something which will scare townsfolk. This is a heinously bad design flaw. Even Assassin's Creed had you hold a trigger button before you'd make Altaïr do something which would scare everyone.

4. Repetitive combat + no real penalty for death = why have combat at all?

5. The storyline sucks. I wasn't endeared with my sister and didn't care that she was murdered and that pretty much throws the whole zeitgeist out the window as I'm expected to want to avenge her. Someone needs to explain to most developers that players have to actually give a **** about a character before we'll suspend disbelief enough to care about whether they live or die.

Kicking chickens is pretty awesome. The graphics are gorgeous but certainly don't save it. Everything else sucks.

Buy Fallout 3 for your sandbox game needs. Bethesda may still have the bizarre NPCs, but everything else about the game is pristine.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:04:25 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »
I disagree with everything Smash_Brothers says besides kicking chickens.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:31 PM »
I figure most people would, but the game did nothing but irritate me from the very beginning.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »
What are your feelings about the first Fable?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »
Never played it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Ok. Your criticisms could be applied to the first, although I didn't really enjoy the chicken kicking mini-game. But I was addicted to it, causing me to spend all night playing it from 6 pm till 8 am. It was one of those "I'll just finish this next quest then I'll stop". 10 quests or so later I really had to stop.

I was trying to figure out if you liked the first and didn't like the second I could judge how I'd feel. But more than likely you wouldn't like the first and it's possible I'd get into this next one.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 12:00:27 AM »
I think the biggest killer for the game for me is the NPCs and how they never cease to remind you at every turn that they are, in fact, NPCs.

In Fallout 3, yeah, the NPCs are a bit stiff, but other than that, I find myself actually caring about them because the dialogue for each NPC is generally different and any key NPCs have unique personalities which generally make me empathize with them.

In a single player RPG, the NPCs had damn well better be believable because they're the only thing tying you to the game's premise that it's a fantasy world and should be treated as such. Games like WoW have terrible NPCs but it doesn't matter because you're ass-deep in other players anyway.

But Fable 2's NPCs just can't seem to emphasize enough just how much they're not to be taken seriously, and it's pretty much impossible to care about a world filled with "people" like that.

It's really a shame, because had they focused less on having plants grow in real time and focused more on making the NPCs at least SOMEWHAT believable, the game would've seriously benefitted.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2008, 02:26:58 PM »
So, is this thread going to hell now that S_B has crapped over the gaming greatness that is Fable?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »
So, is this thread going to hell now that S_B has crapped over the gaming greatness that is Fable?

Seems pretty calm to me. I think agreeing that kicking chickens is fun defused it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »
I've heard there are a number of glitches that get solved with a harddrive install. That has kinda taken the wind out of the sails for me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
I've heard there are a number of glitches that get solved with a harddrive install. That has kinda taken the wind out of the sails for me.

Hmmm maybe I should do that when I get back to playing! Hope I can with a current save.