Author Topic: Nintendo DS Tours Japan  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nintendo DS Tours Japan
« on: September 10, 2004, 06:53:42 AM »
Nintendo to showcase the Nintendo DS and their fall line-up in five cities in Japan

Earlier today Nintendo announced "Touch DS" which will be showcasing the Nintendo DS to the public for the first time ever.  All events are free of charge, and Nintendo will be showcasing a total of eighty titles for Nintendo DS, GameCube, and Game Boy Advance combined.  General tour dates are below, but please see Nintendo's official page for precise venue information.  Each venue will be open from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM.

November 3: Nagoya
November 7: Osaka
November 13 - 14: Tokyo
November 23: Sapporo
November 28: Fukuoka

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:Nintendo DS Tours Japan
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 07:48:26 AM »
Will Nintendo of America be doing something similar to this?  Or will NOA just pop demo units in the Toy Stores again?

It was stated that Nintendo would release the DS first in America or at least could.  Does this lend to that belief, or is it possible that Nintendo is going to continue the tour after the units are already on the shelves in Japan?

What I really want to know is how many of these 80 games are actually for the DS, and how many are for Cube and GBA.  Knowing Nintendo I would predict many of the games on display will be games already out for both the Cube and the GBA, with just a few demo games for each system.  I don't believe the same will be true about the DS though.  I am willing to venture that the DS will have many games not coming out till mid-next year on demo.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Tours Japan
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 07:59:51 AM »
Well this is all fine and good though it would nice if Nintendo did something a little more press friendly.  Newsflash: not everyone who cares about the DS lives in Japan.  Hopefully Nintendo will have some sort of press event here in North America and hopefully they'll show us the launch titles before November.

While I understand that NCL holds public events in Japan because they want the public to see the games I wish they didn't think that public events are a replacement for press-only events.  Having only public events makes it harder for the press to get impressions which makes it harder for us who don't attend to find out about the games.  It's like a popular band having a concert tour in only one country and not providing any singles for radio stations.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 09:36:27 AM »
Ian Sane:  I think those events are very friendly for Japanese Press.  They could have special Press sections and Media passes.  As well we don't know what Nintendo is doing and supplying to press behind the scenes.

This also isn't marketing for America.  So NOA I am positive has something completely different planned for marketing.  I am sure we will see demo units in stores around October for the DS in America.  I don't know when in Oct but some time.  

A Mall tour around November (specially after the system is launched) for the US would be awesome hype.  People could play several games and if they enjoy the system buy it.  Parents can watch their kids playing the game, and kids can beg their parents properly.

Offline Kirby_PopStar

• Touches Nintendo DS at night.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 10:06:42 AM »
The Nintendo Fusion tour will likely be showcasing the Nintendo DS. I'll eat my edible chocolate hat if they don't.
Famicom Commemorate -- Coming Soon!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 11:07:03 AM »
NCL is only responsible for Japan, North America is NoA's territory, so there's no reason to blame NCL for not bringing this stateside.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 11:11:00 AM »
anyone wanna pitch in money for tickets to japan and then draw in a hat who gets to go? lol.

Well i do believe i read that Nintendo will be showcasing the DS at the fusion tour.  I hope they do some other stuff too.

Personally if they did a mall tour and had people walking around with the ds strapped to them they would get "jumped" if u know what i mean.

I know I would kick his ass to get the DS early!

I hope the commericials are good, hopefully they fired all the people that worked on the Super Mario Sunshine commercials.

This holiday season is gonna be crazy, I'm already prepared to spend over $300 for the DS, DS games, and DS accessories!  Not to mention GCN games!  I need to save money big time, maybe i should go on a Ramen noodle diet!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 01:09:34 PM »
Can some one say de facto SpaceWorld?

Though they could put up a booth at TGS, they seem to avoid it like the plague. Is there any sound reasoning behind that?

Can't wait to hear/see more 'complete' products, and not just tech demos. Maybe we'll see pleasant surprises for the 'Cube and GBA as well?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 01:21:23 PM »
I've heard two reasons...1) Because Sony sponsers it, and 2) it's not a consumer show, whatever that means...I don't know which is true, if either...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 02:47:35 PM »
Bah, still not enough detail on software.  I hope they show some interesting new stuff.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 04:16:18 PM »

Newsflash: not everyone who cares about the DS lives in Japan.

LOL, I hope you've figured out how dumb that sounds.  Of course there will be other events here, and I expect them to be far more press-friendly than consumer-friendly.... although I really do think that NOA needs to let people get their hands on this thing before launch.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 09:34:07 PM »
Bill: Consumer show means that it is aimed at the consumer, a show where the end user goes around looking at the stuff offered (e.g. CeBit). TGS, like E3, is a show aimed at the press and business customers. Nintendo thinks that reaching the end user directly is more effective, but the media can work as an amplifier. Okay, considering how the media thinks of N, it's probably more effective to go the direct route in their case...

Offline Kirby_PopStar

• Touches Nintendo DS at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 10:01:44 PM »

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla
Well i do believe i read that Nintendo will be showcasing the DS at the fusion tour.

Yeah, you read it two posts above yours.
Famicom Commemorate -- Coming Soon!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 01:58:44 PM »

I hope the commericials are good, hopefully they fired all the people that worked on the Super Mario Sunshine commercials.

I hate you.  Those commercials were GOLD.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 04:31:51 PM »
LOL  Maybe Fool's Gold.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 09:35:54 PM »
Well, actually gold engraved with the word "Kallisti"...