Author Topic: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100  (Read 32439 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
Leave it to Sony to completely miss the point of these throwback consoles. Nintendo largely got the selection right. Sure, everyone has a favorite that didn’t make the cut, but one could make an argument for most of the games that were chosen. If/when Nintendo releases a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, it could top Sony’s list on first party titles alone. It still wouldn’t feel right without Rare though.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »
Leave it to Sony to completely miss the point of these throwback consoles. Nintendo largely got the selection right. Sure, everyone has a favorite that didn’t make the cut, but one could make an argument for most of the games that were chosen. If/when Nintendo releases a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, it could top Sony’s list on first party titles alone. It still wouldn’t feel right without Rare though.

I might argue it's a little tougher for Sony to pick a "best of" list for Playstation that would hit most people's nostalgic favorites, too.  Anecdotally, when speaking with my friends about this, they've each come up with different games that are "must haves" that I wouldn't personally feel the same as.  I don't think Sony had as many must haves shared across the fanbase as maybe the NES and SNES does.

In regards to the question of storage - I'm sure the ISOs of PS1 games will take up enough space to make putting the whole library on there implausible, but I'm more interested in adding a few and removing a few from the current lineup.  I added the whole library to the NES classic and it just ended up unwieldy.  For the SNES classic, I only put on games I felt were glaring omissions. 

Regarding the legal/moral quandaries - I either 1) own copies of these games on other platforms, or 2) don't have a means to purchase a copy of the games I add other than ebay/Amazon, which for me has become more difficult to determine what's a legitimate vs repro copy of those games.  Hell, even my used game shop nearby that I used to go to as a kid sells repro carts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »
For what it's worth, I like the Japanese list of games better. Drops a few pieces of chaff and adds a couple interesting titles. Oh well.

If you can mod and create a small, self-curated list of games on the system it'll still be maybe interesting. Probably better to wait and see if a version comes out with better ccontrollers though. That's where I end up at, at least.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
Yeah, this is all hypothetical talk for me.  I didn't pre-order, and don't feel terribly compelled to buy-in when I have a PS3 that can play all the PS1 games I want, and don't often find myself pining to play many games on that console.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 02:05:52 PM »
Yeah, this is all hypothetical talk for me.  I didn't pre-order, and don't feel terribly compelled to buy-in when I have a PS3 that can play all the PS1 games I want, and don't often find myself pining to play many games on that console.
Pretty much that and I'm interested in maybe picking up a PS Vita which would give me access to all my digital PS1 games on the go.

Offline Oscar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
For what it's worth, I like the Japanese list of games better. Drops a few pieces of chaff and adds a couple interesting titles. Oh well.

If you can mod and create a small, self-curated list of games on the system it'll still be maybe interesting. Probably better to wait and see if a version comes out with better ccontrollers though. That's where I end up at, at least.
Yeah, I'll wait.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »
Pretty much that and I'm interested in maybe picking up a PS Vita which would give me access to all my digital PS1 games on the go.

This is possibly a better use of funds. My PSP Go is great for PS One Classics on the move and A Vita is probably easier to get these days and would work just as well. Having access to a broad selection of more recent games is an added benefit.

If you do this, keep an eye on PSN sales and don't rush to buy everything you want at one time. PS One Classics go on sale often enough that you might save a good amount.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »

You know what I've realized?  This throwback console scene isn't even a thing.  It's just a Nintendo Classics scene.  Everyone else has flubbed it.  Nintendo's products are a phenomenon, everyone else is getting Atari Flashback success at best.  Hell, Nintendo didn't even know what they had.  The NES Classic vastly outsold their expectations and initial inventory.  Nintendo stumbled into gold simply because they made a product that met their high quality standards and they have such a strong first party lineup that could make up for third parties not playing ball (and yet oddly enough the third party selections on the Nintendo Classics are fantastic).

Everybody else either cheaps out on the quality (Sega, SNK) or lacks the rights to the proper IP (Commodore, Sony) to pull this off.

The best chance for a true competitor to Nintendo on this is if Sega's next go at this has the proper quality.  Sega already has the IP to have a great Genesis lineup, they just kept outsourcing this stuff to a crap company.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
...  The best chance for a true competitor to Nintendo on this is if Sega's next go at this has the proper quality.  Sega already has the IP to have a great Genesis lineup, they just kept outsourcing this stuff to a crap company.

Depending on game lineup, I'd buy a Genesis (aka: Mega Drive) Classic system if the quality was good.
I don't have any nostalgia for the system, as nobody I knew owned one growing up... but dabbled in some Genesis games with Wii Virtual Console and know there are some solid games available for the system that I haven't played yet.

It's disappointing that the Sega Genesis Collection for PSP doesn't work on PSTV - but that would make a classic console even more appealing...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
I might argue it's a little tougher for Sony to pick a "best of" list for Playstation that would hit most people's nostalgic favorites, too.  Anecdotally, when speaking with my friends about this, they've each come up with different games that are "must haves" that I wouldn't personally feel the same as.  I don't think Sony had as many must haves shared across the fanbase as maybe the NES and SNES does.
That's fair. Let's acknowledge two things:

1. Nintendo's first party titles are so universally praised that they absolutely should make up at least half of the selected titles of any given Nintendo throwback console.
2. The original PlayStation had such a wide variety of great third party games that no selection of 20 games was ever going to meet everyone's expectations.

With the second item in mind, Sony's selection is all over the place, seemingly with no rhyme or reason. Even if someone isn't a fan of Final Fantasy VII, they understand why it's there. It's so intertwined with the history of the original PlayStation and exemplifies why the console is held in such high esteem. I don't know if anyone can say the same about Mr. Driller or Cool Boaders 2. Are those the games people really think about when they look back on the console?
You know what I've realized?  This throwback console scene isn't even a thing.  It's just a Nintendo Classics scene.  Everyone else has flubbed it.  Nintendo's products are a phenomenon, everyone else is getting Atari Flashback success at best.
To me, the difference seems to be that Nintendo is the only company that has released throwback consoles created by people who actually play video games. PlayStation Classic looks like it was built by the marketing team or as a reaction to an investor meeting. Like when a shareholder asked why Sony wasn't also releasing a throwback console, they responded with "Ugh, fine," instead of, "We've offered 99% of the most memorable games digitally for over a decade. Why would we release this?"
Hell, Nintendo didn't even know what they had.  The NES Classic vastly outsold their expectations and initial inventory.  Nintendo stumbled into gold simply because they made a product that met their high quality standards and they have such a strong first party lineup that could make up for third parties not playing ball (and yet oddly enough the third party selections on the Nintendo Classics are fantastic).
I think Nintendo knew exactly what it had. It just wanted to make money then move on. The Classic Edition consoles were meant to pad their revenue during years in which Wii U was doing nothing. The problem with these things is that they take up shelf space, and even though each probably sells for a decent profit, there's no attach rate and they're stupidly easy to hack, meaning people could be playing hacked ROMs instead of buying new games.

Several years ago, Reggie Fils-Aime mentioned that retailers don't like carrying different color 3DS models. "If I had to try to have 25 different SKUs out there, Wal-Mart would kill me. So what that means is that we have to be more selective and more knowledgeable in how we handle different SKUs." I was in Target last night and I saw the Classic Edition consoles in the same case as Switch. Nintendo rereleased the Classic Edition consoles due to demand, but I bet it would rather have more Switch units in those retail cases.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
If only there were some kind of model of 3DS with removable coverplates so Reggie would only have to sell two skus.

I was in Target last night and I saw the Classic Edition consoles in the same case as Switch. Nintendo rereleased the Classic Edition consoles due to demand, but I bet it would rather have more Switch units in those retail cases.
They're most likely in the display cases because they are fairly pricey and thus easily stolen. especially since you only really need the controllers and the system itself and they're both small enough to easily be concealed. if you can't nab the HDMI cord and USB cable you can just bring your own.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:46:47 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:28 PM »
They're most likely in the display cases because they are fairly pricey and thus easily stolen. especially since you only really need the controllers and the system itself and they're both small enough to easily be concealed. if you can't nab the HDMI cord and USB cable you can just bring your own.
Well, yeah, it’s obvious why the Classic Edition consoles are in the display case. The point is that they’re in the display case. Stores like Target have to make room for the Classic Edition consoles, meaning that much less space for Switch. I suppose retailers could wrap those security devices around them. Either way, hardware takes up shelf space and Nintendo has to balance how best to use it.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2018, 09:22:59 PM »
Speaking of NES Classic systems in a display case... tonight, for the first time ever, I saw NES Classic systems in stock in a local store. It seems like this is a common occurrence for everyone else, but I was impressed. Always takes me aback how tiny those little boxes are, especially when I consider how much joy (for me) is packed inside.

Hopefully people with Playstation nostalgia get just as excited about their upcoming classic systems (even if I have some minor complaints about how that system is being managed).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »
Game lineup is pretty disappointing. I get why they chose what they did, but given that there is no dual shock support, no image enhancement, and new proprietary controller ports, I think I'm going to pass.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2018, 01:02:17 AM »
Come on, no load times, no bad disc readers. It's not too bad a deal. At only $5 a game it's the equivy of 1/12th the price of a modern PlayStation game.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »
Come on, no load times, no bad disc readers. It's not too bad a deal. At only $5 a game it's the equivy of 1/12th the price of a modern PlayStation game.

True, in a vacuum, $5/game is perfectly reasonable.  But $5 on a game I don't want to play is also $ wasted.  And time is actually my bigger bottleneck when it comes to gaming anyway, at my age.

And I don't know about you all, but my NES/SNES classics have been in their cases for months.  I don't leave them plugged-in, and it's easy to not think about them as an option if they're tucked away in a cabinet/closet neatly.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
Since I've never liked the PSX, I can't comment on how good the game list is or isn't. It's nothing which appeals to me, but the same is true of the system itself. However, a lot of them are not games I recall being popular back in those days, but that's just anecdotal. I've never even heard of some of these.

The only thing I'll say is that they really should have tried to get Gran Turismo in there. As the number one best-seller on the PS1, lots of people probably have nostalgia for that game. It probably would have been enough to just remove the logos for the cars and they'd be fine. A PS1 Classic without Gran Turismo is almost like an NES Classic without Super Mario Bros.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, the Playstation Classic is the Playstation All-stars Battle Royale of retro consoles.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, the Playstation Classic is the Playstation All-stars Battle Royale of retro consoles.

Except that PS All-Stars BR actually had some redeeming features. The PlayStation Classic does not, but I get where you would get that analogy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:46:18 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
It's really sad that the "Micheal" commercial is still the coolest thing Sony has ever done to celebrate Playstation.

For that total loser who uses mobile like a chump.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »
Too harsh.

There are a bunch of good games on the PS Classic system. Many lapsed or non-gamers will be happy to replay Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy VII for the first time in years. The selected puzzle games are actually all pretty good, which will give the console some casual play value too.

The cost isn't at all justified for me, but saying there is no redeeming value is a step too far.
They just designed this little box of nostalgia for a different audience, I think...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »
Is it worth bumping this thread to mention that PSN has the Tomb Raider Legacy of Kain series on sale right now - something like 85% off, so close to a buck each?  It's not the same thing as buying a convenient plug-and-play console packed with old games, and none of these games cross-over with the PS Classic console lineup anyway, but if you have interest and a way to play these games (PS3, PSP, Vita) then it's hard to argue against the value.

I'm probably grabbing the original Tomb Raider for nostalgia. It sure as heck wasn't worth the standard price of $10 to me, but for a $1.50, I could relive some old gaming memories.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
We've played the PlayStation Classic, and it's underwhelming
As a piece of simple engineering, then, the PlayStation Classic is a triumph; a perfectly adorable, shrunken down version of the original that would look just splendid on your shelf. It's only really when you plug it in to play that things start to fall apart a little. The front-end is responsive if not exactly attractive - though its graphical stylings are at least period correct for the mid-90s games it's hosting. There are next to no options - you'll have the ability to enable a screensaver, tinker with power saving modes and language and... That's it. There are no screen filters, and nothing to try and soothe the transition of these games onto TVs that they were never designed for.
It most certainly is not a decent emulator, and far from the best way to play this (limited) selection of games.
At least it outputs in 720p.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616

A listing of licenses for open-source software accessible in the PlayStation Classic’s menu said that it uses the open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX ReARMed.

Yeah, can't really spend that much money on it if you're not going to nail the emulation.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »
Do the Nintendo classics have all those extra functions which aren't on this one? I saw a couple neat touches, like using the disc tray button at 'swap the disc' moments, and it emulates internal memory cards including the game logos.

That said, no PS1 start-up sound, no buy.