Author Topic: Friend Codes Not Completely Gone From Wii U  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Friend Codes Not Completely Gone From Wii U
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »

However, Nintendo said it would be much easier to add friends. UPDATE: There are conflicting reports, another source claims there won't be Friend Codes at all for the Wii U.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30588

Update:

Shortly after this story broke, another source was found with conflicting claims. GameTrailers.com Editor-In-Chief Shane Satterfield tweeted that he received confirmation that Friend Codes are gone from the Wii U.

Original Story:

It appears Nintendo is planning for Friend Codes to make a return in some form for the Wii U, according to David Gibson, Head of Software & Services for Macquarie Capital Securities Japan.  However, at the E3 analyst event where this was discussed, Nintendo also claimed it would be much easier to add friends than in previous Friend Code-based Nintendo online endeavors.

Details are scarce at the moment, so it is unknown how exactly Friend Codes are used in Nintendo's online strategy, or in their newly revealed Miiverse social communications network. Nintendo has on other occasions stated that their overall Nintendo Network online service would support individual-based accounts as opposed to the game-specific accounts of the Wii or the hardware specific accounts of the 3DS.

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Friendcodes Not Completely Gone From Wii U
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
I'm hoping its like what Blizzard did.  Where I can be Ceric and you can be Ceric, but each of us really have a different code that would need to be exchanged.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
I don't mind Friend Codes on 3DS. If Nintendo makes it even easier than that, good. There are obviously other improvements but until I know more about its direction, I'll keep an open mind.

Offline Vahne

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:17:21 PM »
Only if Friend codes are used for core identification so people can use whatever username they want while still being different accounts because of the codes. Combine this with 3DS please.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
If the codes work in a similar fashion to the 3DS ones then I guess that's fine. The big question though is why? Friend Codes have got such bad press for Nintendo over the last few years you'd think they'd jump at the opportunity to create a new Friend system and distance themselves from Friend Codes. Even on the 3DS I didn't understand why the Friend Code persisted. Why is a code considered more secure than a username chosen by the owner of the system? I just don't get it.
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »
Why is Nintendo so intent on keeping this crap?  There must be some lawyer pressuring them to have some sort of system to cover their ass if some child predator case comes up and their product was used to lure kids.

Of course Skittles doesn't write "do not accept from strangers" on their packaging.

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
there is some conflicting info on this. some people are saying no friend codes. this anyalist is.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
Yea, I'm imagining it will be just like the 3DS is except with multiple user accounts able to be tied to a system.

Offline Thaneros

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Friend Codes Not Completely Gone From Wii U
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
They should just make the system have a master account that has control(friend request, content ect) of the other users BUT that would require too much effort for the lazy parents these days. :P:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Friend Codes Not Completely Gone From Wii U
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »
Why is Nintendo so intent on keeping this crap?  There must be some lawyer pressuring them to have some sort of system to cover their ass if some child predator case comes up and their product was used to lure kids.
I don't think you have a 3DS but do you at least know how Friend Codes work on it? Or did you just read "Friend Codes" and completely write it off?