Author Topic: Halbred's Paleo-News Thread  (Read 117622 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Halbred's Paleo-News Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »
That 'wax organ' is rather intriguing. Lots of potential uses for that thing.

Megalodon is interesting as well. On one hand I say it is a pity these creatures are extinct, but on the other I'd be terrified to enter the water if they did.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
If it is confirmed this will be huge.  It is 3-dimensial macrofossils from 2.1 billion years ago.  They are about the size of your thumb.  There are no fossils of this size know until the ediacarian period about 600 million years ago, about one and a half billion years later.  There were also no sure eukaryotes know from that period (the group all plants and animals fall under, but that does not include bacteria and some other types of single-cell life forms).  And since these are fairly consistent 3D structures, they are unlikely to be the simple microbial mats that occurred fairly early on and still appear in a few areas.

However, there is still a lot of question whether they are fossils at all, and not some sort of mineral deposit or some other structure of non-biological origin.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:35:43 PM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2010, 04:44:45 AM »
So you're saying this could be a cellular 'missing link' of sorts?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »
Unlikely, between this time and the rise of modern animals there a period called the "cryogenic" period where much or even all of the Earth was covered with extensive glaciers.  The article also says that there was a temporary spike in ocean oxygen content both around the time these fossils appeared and around the time modern animals appeared.  It is unlikely this sort of complex organism (if that is what it is) survived such harsh conditions.  It also doesn't look like any modern group of animals.  Further, if it turns out that this is an organism and it is prokaryote (i.e. bacterial or similar) in nature, then there is nothing remotely like it around today (bacteria have much of the cell-to-cell signalling mechanisms modern multicellular animals use, so such a thing is not entirely implausible).  So whatever the case if it is an organism at all this was likely to be (but not certain to be) a failed early attempt at multicellular life, and not a direct ancestor to modern groups.

It also isn't really a missing link.  There actually isn't much in the way of a "missing link" that is necessary, eukaryotes even today form simple specialized colonies, and fossils and trace fossils of very early organisms in many modern groups are available.  There is even a supposed very early fossil of an extremely simple bilateral (two-sided) organism that would likely be the ancestor (or close relative thereof) of everything besides jellyfish and sponges. 

The things we are missing are probably the first microscopic sponge-like organisms with a few poorly-differentiated cell types, so if this is a fossil of an organism it would probably be much more advanced than any "missing link" we are currently on the lookout for. 

But even many modern sponges aren't that complicated, the jump from simple eukaryote colonies to the simplest sponges isn't that great.  As I said, most of the signaling pathways are present even in single-cell organisms, they were simply adapted for slightly more complex interactions.  The simplest sponges only have a handful of cell types on no tissues to speak of.  More complicates sponges have more cells types and beginnings of what we would call tissues.  Simple cnidarians (relatives of jellyfish) have more cell types and a few tissues, with more tissues, more complicated cells, and more complicated behaviors being seen in more advanced cnidarians.  And the simplest worms are simpler than the most advanced cnidarians, with a pretty smooth coverage over the range of possible complexities.  And that is only organisms still alive today.

Heck, slime molds, normally single-celled organisms that can clump together to form large (several inch size) mobile blobs in tough conditions, can be taught to run and remember simple mazes and carry out network optimization calculations.  Even bacteria, the simplest forms of life on the planet, form complex colonies called biofilms with different cells doing specialized roles.  And in both cases they use many of the same signaling molecules and pathways animals and plants do.  These pathways turn out to be highly consistent across practically all life on the planet.  So the line between single-celled and multi-celled is not as great as many people think.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:39:17 AM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
2010 is really turning into the year of the ceratopsian! Let's see, so far, we've got:

Sinoceratops, Diabloceratops, Ojoceratops, Medusaceratops, Tatankaceratops, and a potential new genus of pachyrhinosaurine.

Today, another new guy was published: Mojoceratops! Yes, Mojoceratops, because he's full of mojo. The author (Nick Longrich) jokingly named it over drinks at a bar, and the name stuck!

It's related to Ajugaceratops and Chasmosaurus among chasmosaurine ceratopsids. Here's Dr. Longrich's illustration of what it looked like:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2010/07/08/what-you-get-when-you-name-a-new-dinosaur-over-beers-mojoceratops/
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2010, 12:02:58 PM »
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19268-ancient-crocodile-chewed-like-a-mammal.html

Crocodiles weren't always so snappy. A new fossil shows that their ancient relatives chewed their food, rather than swallowing great chunks of it.

The diminutive fossil belongs to a previously unknown species of crocodile-like reptile from the Cretaceous called Pakasuchus kapilami – after the Swahili word for cat, paka, and the Greek word for crocodile, souchos. It has surprised palaeontologists with its sophisticated mammal-like teeth.

Pakasuchus lived between 65 and 144 million years ago in what is now southern Tanzania. It was just 55 centimetres long, had long legs, and belonged to the notosuchians – a group of reptiles that are distant relatives of modern crocodiles and alligators.

Unlike its modern-day relatives, which have long rows of conical teeth, Pakasuchus had clearly differentiated canines, premolars and molars. There were also fewer of them.

we were so close to cat & dog-like crocodiles or Crocatdiles & Crocodogs and never knew it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/nov/19/galloping-dinosaur-eating-crocodiles
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:13:36 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
Catagators!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Ah, beat me to it. I was gonna post this after I read the paper, which I haven't received yet.

Long story short: This is a pretty incredible cat-sized crocodilian from the Early Cretaceous that has differentiated teeth: incisors, large upper and lower canines, premolars, and big slicing molars at the back of the jaws. Really wierd stuff.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
Are there any other non-synapsids with differentiated teeth?  I thought that was one of the unique features that separated synapsids from other tetrapods.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
Used to be. Not so much anymore. Even some dinosaurs have marked heterodonty (Similocaudipteryx, Incizivosaurus). The most extreme dental convergence with mammals happens with these notosuchid crocodilians, however, during the Cretaceous. The thinking is that mammals diversified in the northern continents while notosuchid crocs took on their roles in Gondwanna.

Just read the paper. It's great, if anyone wants a copy, although it's very short.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »
New dromaeosaur published in PNAS today. Haven't gotten the paper in my inbox, but here's what I know:

It's called Balaur bondoc, which means "stocky dragon." It's from Romania, which was an island in the Early Cretaceous, with lots of wierd dwarf species including several basal ornithopods and one sauropod. Well, this new dromaeosaur isn't any smaller than, say, Velociraptor, but it's VERY odd. The hands are functionally didactyl: the thumb and index finger are normal-sized, but the third finger is just a stub and it's fused onto the back of the index finger. Bizarrely, it retains a claw.

Stranger still, the foot has TWO sickle claws: one in the normal place (on the 2nd toe), but one on an enlarged, functional 1st toe. In every other non-avian theropod dinosaurs, the 1st toe is basically a useless dew claw. In therizinosaurs, it enlarged to support the weight of the animal. In this new Balaur guy, it became another sickle claw!

There are other odd things, like fusion of the foot bones and a very strange orientation of the pelvis that I can't tell is genuine or the result of crushing. Definately the strangest dromaeosaur to come out of the ground, though.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
Zach, I am taking a class in my college called "Dinosaur Biology" for a science credit. Basically the class starts out with the origins of life on the planet and carries all the way to the ultimate end of the dinosaurs and the emrgence of mammals as the dominant life form.

Today the professor talked about an asteroid that landed in the Yucatan did not destroy the dinosaurs because the earth had been hit by much bigger objects long before this event.

http://news.scotsman.com/dinosaursandprehistoriclife/Asteroid-did-not-kill-dinosaurs.2423201.jp

What can you tell me about Predator X?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:14:55 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
Predator X? You mean the partial pliosaur discovered a few years ago that's really big but really overly blown in the media?

Tell your professor that the Yucatan asteroid was an ENORMOUS part of the non-avian dinosaur extinction. It caused 65% of all life on Earth to be wiped out. And sure, the Earth has been hit in the past by large extrasolar bodies, including one the size of Mars that created the moon. HOWEVER, no other asteroid impact resulted in such a global species turnover. If he counters with the Permio-Triassic extinction, kindly explain that the entire goddamn world was very unstable at that time, and that extensive vulcanism more readily explains the evidence. During that extinction, life nearly died, and as many as 90% of genera went extinct.

So, by comparison, the end-Cretaceous extinction is mid-sized potatoes. Other global events helped seal the dinosaurs' fate, such as the closing of the Tethys Seaway, the draining of the Western Interior Seaway, and an increase in vulcanism. Climates were changing and so were the environments. Technically, dinosaurs had survived worse. There were extinction events in the Late Triassic and Late Jurassic periods, but the dinosaurs were largely unaffected. But the combination of factors at the end of the Cretaceous, which includes the Yucatan impact, sealed the deal. The only dinosaurs survivors were a single lineage of birds--Ornithurines. They survived and proliferated.

Ask you professor (tell him/her a friend wants to know) how readily he or she keeps up on the primary literature surrounding paleontology and dinosaurs in particular.

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2010, 12:41:45 AM »
There was an article in science about this a couple months back.  They made a pretty convincing case (to me at least) that it was the impact that wiped out the dinosaurs.  At the very least there isn't any other event that matches the timing and extent of the extinction.  It wasn't just the size of the object that hit, either, the type or land it hit, the speed at which it hit, and the angle at which it hit made a difference.  Those sorts of factors can radically change the impact of the impact (pun intended).  There were other potentially threatening events at the time, but dinosaurs seemed to be getting through them pretty well until the impact when they disappeared very suddenly.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sci;327/5970/1214?maxtoshow=&hits=150&RESULTFORMAT=&andorexacttitle=or&andorexacttitleabs=or&fulltext=dinosaur+asteroid&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=date&fdate=1/1/2010&tdate=8/31/2010&resourcetype=HWCIT,HWELTR
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:43:26 AM by TheBlackCat »
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:50 AM »
Predator X? You mean the partial pliosaur discovered a few years ago that's really big but really overly blown in the media?

Tell your professor that the Yucatan asteroid was an ENORMOUS part of the non-avian dinosaur extinction. It caused 65% of all life on Earth to be wiped out. And sure, the Earth has been hit in the past by large extrasolar bodies, including one the size of Mars that created the moon. HOWEVER, no other asteroid impact resulted in such a global species turnover. If he counters with the Permio-Triassic extinction, kindly explain that the entire goddamn world was very unstable at that time, and that extensive vulcanism more readily explains the evidence. During that extinction, life nearly died, and as many as 90% of genera went extinct.

So, by comparison, the end-Cretaceous extinction is mid-sized potatoes. Other global events helped seal the dinosaurs' fate, such as the closing of the Tethys Seaway, the draining of the Western Interior Seaway, and an increase in vulcanism. Climates were changing and so were the environments. Technically, dinosaurs had survived worse. There were extinction events in the Late Triassic and Late Jurassic periods, but the dinosaurs were largely unaffected. But the combination of factors at the end of the Cretaceous, which includes the Yucatan impact, sealed the deal. The only dinosaurs survivors were a single lineage of birds--Ornithurines. They survived and proliferated.

Ask you professor (tell him/her a friend wants to know) how readily he or she keeps up on the primary literature surrounding paleontology and dinosaurs in particular.

I was running kind of late today for class and missed about twenty minutes of the class. The guy seems like he knows what he is talking about, but when I gave a description of what he said, I might have misinterpreted what he said.

The guy claims that he has been a professor of paleontology for twenty something years. In fact, he said that two years ago he had went on a dig some where in China.

Right now we are at the point where the seas are teaming with life and animals are about to make their way onto land.

How is Predator X over blown?

I always thought that the planet colliding with the Earth to created the moon was just a theory?

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2010, 01:08:35 AM »
Right now we are at the point where the seas are teaming with life and animals are about to make their way onto land.
"The seas are teeming with life" is a good explanation for about 3 billion years of Earth's history ;)

I always thought that the planet colliding with the Earth to created the moon was just a theory?
In science, the words "just" and "theory" do not go together.  A theory is the highest rank an idea can achieve in science.  So yes, it is a theory, but that does not mean it is particularly uncertain, on the contrary it means it is a very reliable explanation that has survived every criticism and counterattack people can throw at it.

As for the moon, the "blunt force trauma" theory matches the observed properties of the Earth and Moon extremely well, and there is no other explanation currently that does anywhere near as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:11:33 AM by TheBlackCat »
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »
"The seas are teeming with life" is a good explanation for about 3 billion years of Earth's history ;) 

During the presentation there was talk about a giant sea scorpion the size of an alligator.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:15:43 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2010, 01:16:28 AM »
Speaking of crawling onto land, I am currently waiting for me library to get in Neil Shubin's "Your Inner Fish".  It is supposed to be really good, and they said they think they should have it, so they ordered it.  I'll post my thoughts when I am done.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2010, 01:17:22 AM »
During the presentation there was talk about a giant sea scorpion the size of an alligator.

Nice!  Sea scorpions are my favorite extinct animal.  I was actually just at a museum Saturday that had a fossil one, although this one was about the size of a crawfish.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:19:13 AM by TheBlackCat »
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:33 AM »

Nice!  Sea scorpions are my favorite extinct animal.  I was actually just at a museum Saturday that had a fossil one, although this one was about the size of a crawfish.

It also talked about the first fish being jawless and that many sea cretures made their way onto land to escape predators.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2010, 01:44:55 AM »
That Shubin book is great, BlackCat.

Who's your professor, Kytim? Is it...is it Mark Norell? CAN YOU GET ME HIS AUTOGRAPH?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2010, 02:26:56 AM »
That Shubin book is great, BlackCat.

Who's your professor, Kytim? Is it...is it Mark Norell? CAN YOU GET ME HIS AUTOGRAPH?

That is not his name, but I wont say any strangers names across the internet.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2010, 12:31:10 PM »
PM me. I might know the man if he's gone to SVP recently.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
More on Balaur bondoc: there's a running discussion between myself and others about the possibility that this dromaeosaur was not your typical raptor dinosaur. Its four toes may have been used for supporting a graviportal body (the skull is not known). The hands certainly weren't useful for grabbing prey, what with the virtually immobile 2nd finger and vestigal 3rd finger. Looks more like the hand of Caudipteryx than a raptor, but even stranger, because all three metacarpals are fused into a knobby-shaped structure. The width between the pubis bones also indicates a fairly large belly...maybe for herbivory?

So Balaur might be a therizinosaur mimic or something. Maniraptors readily switch to alternate diets: therizinosaurs are herbivorous, alvarezsaurs are myrmecophageous, and troodontids might've been omnivores. Oviraptors were almost certainly herbivorous, too.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #249 on: September 09, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
Another new theropod was published today: Concaventaor. It's a basal carcharodontid allosauroid from Spain and has two interesting features:

1) There appear to be quill knobs on its ulna. However, these knobs are irregularly spaced and up on the side of the bone rather than on its posterior. They may be quill knobs, but instead ossified points of contact with muscle or ligament sheets. It's not unheard of in mammals or other dinosaurs. The fact that they occur on the ulna may be a coincidence. In the event that they ARE genuine quill knobs, that pushes feathers back to the base of the Neotetanurinae in theropods. I'm not convinced they are quill knobs, though.

Especially since other allosauroid ulnae are well-preserved but do NOT show quills knobs.

2) Many dinosaurs have dorsal sails: Spinosaurus, Ouranosaurus, and Acrocanthosaurus come to mind. Their sails are made of elongated neural spines. Concavenator has only two long neural spines...and they're right in front of the pelvis. The sacral verts have very short neural spines, but the anterior caudal verts have somewhat elongate neural spines.

This gave Concavenator something like a shark fin. No joke.

Interestingly, this has implications for the Wealden Group's Becklespinax, which is only known from three dorsal vertebrae, which conform to the same morphology as Concavenator's "shark fin." The animals are appox. 10 million years apart, though, so if they're the same genus, they must be different species. Hopefully more Becklespinax bones will turn up in the future.

Here's a detailed science blog post about the new animal, including several pictures:

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/09/concavenator_incredible_allosauroid.php