Author Topic: Project X Zone Impressions  (Read 3024 times)

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Project X Zone Impressions
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »

It may have been unexpected, but it's almost here.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/34460

Crossover titles rarely leave Japan and for good reason. Games like Jump Ultimate Stars or Super Robot Wars would be a licensing hell in the Western market. However, the unlikely has happened: Project X Zone, a crossover, tactical RPG featuring characters from Namco Bandai, Capcom, and Sega titles is slated for a Western release this summer. And while the game isn’t out yet, a short demo is currently available on the 3DS eShop.

The demo, which is limited to a fairly meager five uses, throws you right into the heart of the action. There’s no tutorial here, save a brief overview of the game’s controls. Fans of other tactical RPGs, including the Fire Emblem and Advance Wars series, should feel at home with the game’s familiar grid-based movement. Project X Zone differs from these franchises, however, in its attack system.

Unlike most tactical RPGs, where the damage dealt depends mainly on the level of the character, their gear, and their element or class, damage in Project X Zone relies heavily on combos. Each time you initiate an attack on an enemy, you are given control of your characters’ abilities by chaining various combos that are laid out on the touchscreen. Encounters are displayed more or less as 2D, slickly-animated “fighting game” segments between the enemy and your character duo, though you’re not using half-circles or any of that; the control scheme during attacks is thankfully incredibly simple. For instance, pressing the A button will perform one combo, while pressing both the D-pad in a given direction and the A button together will perform another. You have a set number of attacks for each character per turn, and chaining them is a must if you wish to do any damage. Likewise, timing your combos and knowing when to use the additional support and special attacks are essential if you want to cause the most damage possible. These sections are also some of the most graphically impressive animations I’ve yet to see on the 3DS. The attacks animations are smooth and the sprites are nicely detailed.

The demo itself only includes one battle sequence, in which you take control of characters from several series, including Street Fighter, God Eater Burst, Sakura Wars, .hack, and Valkyria Chronicles. Characters from these series fight in pairs, not alone; for example, Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter join forces. One possible downside that I noticed from the demo is that a lot of the banter that characters shout during battles will be lost on Western players, as the game only includes a Japanese voice track. Outside of action sequences, however, written dialogue has been translated, so in that way some character interactions have been made accessible to English speakers.

Project X Zone’s demo shows a lot of potential. Needless to say, I’m excited to see what the full game has to offer when it is released on June 25 in North America and July 5 in Europe.

James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline NintendoXMusic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Project X Zone Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
I played the demo when it released yesterday. I have a feeling that this game will totally be worth the wait  ;D

Offline TalesOfFan

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »
If you want to get more of a feeling of how the game plays, I suggest looking into Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier for the DS. It's game play is essentially the same and it was released in the US by Atlus.
James Dawson

Offline Azagthoth

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
Am I the only one that was really disappointed with the demo? The attacks just feel like button mashing, and the xp made no sense to me. Granted, this is my first foray into this type of game, but isn't a demo supposed to bring in first timers?
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

- George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
Am I the only one that was really disappointed with the demo? The attacks just feel like button mashing, and the xp made no sense to me. Granted, this is my first foray into this type of game, but isn't a demo supposed to bring in first timers?
Not if its from Japan or Capcom.  (See Monster Hunter Demo)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TalesOfFan

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »
You actually shouldn't be pressing the A button more than once per combo. When you press the A button to initiate the attack, the combo is automatic. You then want to wait for that combo to end and time you next attack so that it keeps the enemy in the air, so that it doesn't regain its defence. It's a pretty simple system, but it's not button mashing.
James Dawson