Author Topic: Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes  (Read 4969 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:23 AM »
My favorite puzzle battling game.  Better than Puzzle Quest.

The basics of the game involve lining up units vertically to attack and horizontally to form walls.  The units all have different special abilities and it really keeps it interesting.  So far each race has a very different play style.  The fights also feel more like actual fights since the units you line up actually attack the opponent, it doesn't just say "damage 13."  Extremely addicting.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »
I've heard good things about this game.

*adds it to buy list*

Strangely enough, I was once addicted to Heroes of Might & Magic III on the PC, but I know Clash of heroes is NOTHING like that. Still, it's a little bit of history with the franchise that'll boost my interest along with your recommendation, the Nintendo Channel Videos, and general curiousity!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »
Just got this one myself.  Way too good for it's own good.  I'm on the second campaign now.

Like SixthAngel said, it's all about lining up three units (of the same color) on top of each other to attack.  If you line them up side-by-side they turn into a defensive structure.  Units don't attack right away, but rather have a charge time before attacking.  This is usually a number of turns between 1-5.  The lower the number the faster they attack, but usually dishing out less damage.  Any attacks that occur will damage enemy units in a straight line.  If all of the enemy units are killed during the attack, then the attacking force continues on damaging the opponent's hit points directly.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes puzzle or strategy games.  You don't need to know the history of the Might & Magic universe to follow the story, but it does tie into some of the other games.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
Good Lord I love this game! I really enjoy how the campaigns feel like their own miniature rpgs. One other factor that I appreciate is the game's willingness to not force the player to use the touchscreen. While the touchscreen controls are implemented well, I would simply rather use the buttons and I am glad the game recognizes that not everyone wants to play using a stylus for hours. So far, the game has hooked me more than puzzle quest did on the DS.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »
I can't believe more people here haven't played this game.  This is easily one of the best games on the DS.  This is something everybody should at least try.

Offline Tween20

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
After reading some good things (here and elsewhere), I finally picked this game up after the shout out on NWR #190 (I think).  Wow--what took me so long?  I was worried that it would not have the pick-up and play simplicity of Puzzle Quest, and it doesn't.  But that is more than made up for by really good RPG elements and battles that are intellectually and creatively engaging.

I read somewhere that someone thought the champion elements were a waste of time and money, and I agree that they are money and space hogs--but who doesn't feel more powerful with a giant green dragon sitting in the middle of their army?

I'm very early in (and had to restart once I got the hang of what I was supposed to be doing), but I hope that the game keeps it up, because right now it is consistently awesome!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:50 PM »
I was considering it but it's 40€ and I don't really like color matching puzzles (honestly I think these games shouldn't even be considered remotely the same genre as Picross and such) all that much.

Offline Tween20

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:22:23 PM »
I wish there were some way you could demo it (eternal optimist, I know).  I think there's so much more to it then 'color matching'.  Or at least this type of color (unit) matching seems unlike anything I've ever done before. 

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »
I read somewhere that someone thought the champion elements were a waste of time and money, and I agree that they are money and space hogs--but who doesn't feel more powerful with a giant green dragon sitting in the middle of their army?

I'm very early in (and had to restart once I got the hang of what I was supposed to be doing), but I hope that the game keeps it up, because right now it is consistently awesome!

I used the champions.  Some of them fit my play style better and they add a lot more options.  The green dragon was great because the elves are generally pretty weak.   I never used the champions for one of the races though.

The game keeps up the awesome.  You get to play as all the different races/classes and develope new strategies for each of them.  There are also boss battles for each campaign.

I really like the puzzle battles where they already have the units set up and you have 2 or 3 moves to set up all your units to kill all of their units.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:24:47 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Tween20

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 08:53:54 AM »
I really like the puzzle battles, too--you get to practice your skills and build up your resources without risking losing elite or champion elements.

My one complaint about the champions (besides the fact that they take so long to deliver their turn--which cuts both ways, since the opponents do, too) is that mine always seem to be delivered in some sort of blocked formation whereas the opponents are usually delivered well set-up.  I don't think that is really true, but that is how it seems to me!

I wish there were a (once per battle perhaps) 'undo' button.  I use a combination of buttons and stylus and sometimes one doesn't know what the other is doing and I move or destroy units I didn't mean to.  Kind of like the accidental 'illegal moves' in PQ:CotW.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
In one of the later puzzle battles you get there before you are a high enough level to actually beat it.  I tell you this because I tried it for over an hour until I realized my characters simply weren't strong enough yet to break the walls and kill two angels.

I really like the knight classes.  The pikemen can kill enemy units without taking damage and the knights on horses make for excellent defense and attack since they get max hp right away.  My least favorite is probably the wizard classes.  I just don't lke the djin and a few of their other units.

Offline Tween20

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:07:02 PM »
Okay, I am nearing the end and it was awesome, right up until I hit the academy.  What is with Nadia?  Am I just really bad at this game all of the sudden or did the battles just get wicked hard?  I'm probably not the best player, but I have held my fair share and then some up until this point--now I can't beat opponents that are two levels lower than me.  Any pointers on how best to use the wizard-units (I only have the mage, I can't get far enough in to get the djinn) would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
The wizard gave me some difficulty too.

My tips.

1.  The Djinn isn't that good unless your strategy involves dicking over his big units with the freeze.  He doesn't actually kill the units but just freezes them, you need to remember this since your next unit still has to kill the iceblocks or unfrozen units.  I eventually stopped using the djinn.
2.  The gremlins are completely unique unit.  They have a fast charge time and an excellent attack but can only really do damage to the enemy's units and are worthless for hurting the player.  If your strategy involves getting some small hits with your one block units these guys aren't the best for you.
3.  The only champion I really liked on the wizards was the Pheonix.  I didn't like the others' abilities but at the same time I was a big wall builder and the titan tended to screw me over.  Go easy on walls if it happens to you.

Offline Tween20

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »
Thank you!  I finally got the Djinn (more luck than skill, I think) and I have made some progress and am finding it hard to put down now that I feel the end coming.  I agree with you that the Djinn is not so good--I prefer the mages.  My favorite elite unit of all so far is the <succubus?>--the ones that throw a series of fireballs and take out surrounding units, too.