Author Topic: Another blast from the past  (Read 3554 times)

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Another blast from the past
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
We have done the rank the consoles to death, we have all shared our what got us into gaming memories, and we have all gone back and forth on are the Wii/N64 consoles garbage or masterpieces endlessly. So I propose we try something different.

Everyone post one sentence saying one good thing you like about each Nintendo console, it can be anything you want, ie I liked the controller, the variety of colors, the software, this feature or that feature, the fact it was rare and elitist to own one, etc. The trick is you cannot mention the games. No games at all not even pack in or launch titles or even the library was varied just one thing you liked about each console, including the handhelds but not the side stuff like Game & Watch unless you want to or accessories like e-reader.

I will start of course.

NES- I liked the design of the console, it kind of fit in with the late 80's computers.
Game Boy- I like the multitude of accessories that enhance the experience
SNES- I really like the eject button.
Virtual Boy- I like the funky controllers
Game Boy Color- I like that it's carts are shaped differently.
N64- I liked that it supported 4 controllers default.
GBA- I liked that it connected with the e-reader and Game Cube
Game Cube- I liked the color scheme, purple is one of my favorite colors.
DS- I liked that it had a touch screen for games.
Wii- I liked that the use of channels, it was very neat and totally retro 80's style.
3DS- I liked that it came in different shapes and sizes and colors; most variety in Nintendo console to date I believe.
Wii U- I liked the OffTV play.
NX- I like the mystery surrounding it

That is all I have, please feel free to make your own list with one sentence saying what you liked about it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Another blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
NES- As someone who never owned or had to pay for them, I loved the accessories like the track and field mat, or the zapper.

Game Boy- At the time, I actually liked the green and black color scheme.

SNES- Probably my favorite Nintendo controller.

Virtual Boy- People sometimes forget how unique the experience of having a screen that shut out everything else was, and how distinctive the red/black screen was.

Game Boy Color-Slimmer form factor, color (duh!).

N64- I envied my friends who could play 4 player games without buying a multi-tap.  Also make it so a LOT MORE N64 games than PS1 games supported 4 player.

GBA- The GBA SP is, in my opinion, the most perfectly designed handheld system.  Fit well in my hands, backlit screen, awesome.

Game Cube - I thought the disc form factor was neat, used the handle more than I'd like to admit in taking it to friend's dorms, and was a nice touch that the game cases included a slot to take your memory card with.

DS- Beyond the gimmick phase, the bottom touch screen worked pretty well for input on some games that put thought into it besides changing a button press to a screen tap.

Wii- Motion Controls absolutely amazed me at launch.

3DS- glasses-free 3D kept my interest for a lot longer than I expected, I was especially amazed at how everything outside the system had a sort of 3D After-effect even when I was looking away from the screen for the first few weeks.  Was glad when I upgraded to the New 3DS with tracking so I could justify keeping the 3D on more often.

Wii U- Miiverse integration is one of the most quirky and fun things since Miis were introduced on the Wii.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:50:46 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:30:29 PM »
lolmonade broke the rules!  :-[
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »
As an avid breaker of the rules myself, eh. Fair enough.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »

Since you're actually making effort to spark new conversation, I amended my post to try and adhere to the rules.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »

Since you're actually making effort to spark new conversation, I amended my post to try and adhere to the rules.

I am not sure what it is, bipolar, maybe ADHD, something else, but I sometimes get on these weird kicks every once in a while. I have spent about 45 minutes of my precious work time today wasting time on this site arguing with myself over nothing. Damn, its going to keep me late at work though. Time to take a break again guys see you later.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
Fun idea.  I understand wanting to chat, even if the Nintendo well has run dry for a while.

NES- My first console, which will probably continue to fuel my imagination until I die.
Game Boy- Built like a tank.
SNES- Those orchestral thumps.
Virtual Boy- Haploscope style setup meant no ghosting.
Game Boy Color- My little sister got one, which made us closer.
N64- Mario Kart 64 battle mode in a motorhome.
GBA- SNES style RPGs in mobile form.
Game Cube- Handle.
DS- Surprise answer to stamp puzzle in Another Code.
Wii- My mom bought one, which I thought was really cute.
3DS- I learned to enjoy Fire Emblem and became primarily a handheld gamer.
Wii U- Keepin' it weird when it would have been easy to make something generic.
NX- If it's a true hybrid, the idea of all games going to one system sounds great.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 05:13:51 PM »
What was the rule lolmonade broke?

Anyways, here we go:

NES: A good start to games.
SNES: When gaming really started to get good.
N64: Quality over quantity may have been PR spin, but for me it was true.
GCN: I like purple. Or indigo, as it were.
Wii: Best controller yet.
Wii U: Uh... Super Mario Maker is neat.
Game Boy: The start of some good series like Kirby and Wario.
Game Boy Color: Finally, color!
Game Boy Advance: Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga rules.
Nintendo DS: The Lite is still the best handheld design thus far.
Nintendo 3DS: Finally, sequel to Luigi's Mansion!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:16:23 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »

N64 - hella robust due to no moving parts. Loadtimes weren't too bad for the time, and l still really love all the see-through colour variants.

GameCube - a cute lil' powerhouse that focused purely on gaming whilst other consoles were moving towards multimedia. Built like a brick, access to the vast Gameboy library using the add-on and easy to move around.

Wii - one of the best console designs ever. It's sleek, super compact, can easily stand or lay horizontally. Even the controller is shaped like a remote; everything is just made to fit into a household without occupying much space or drawing too much attention to itself.

Wii U - it's so very versatile! Easy eShop allows for a much bigger library, it's backwards compatible, it plays Wii games on the gamepad without even needing a sensor bar if you want. Compatible with so many previous pieces of hardware, even GameCube controllers for Smash. Also, asymmetric multiplayer is so very cool.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
What was the rule lolmonade broke?

No games at all not even pack in or launch titles or even the library was varied just one thing you liked about each console