Author Topic: HBO Max  (Read 53167 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
HBO Max
« on: October 30, 2019, 01:44:25 PM »
Wanted to make a thread now that we have more details:

Launch:May 2020 (US)
Cost: $14.99/month
Includes:
  • All of HBO
  • Cartoon Network
  • [adult swim]
  • TBS
  • Crunchyroll
  • DC
  • CNN
  • TNT
  • Studio Ghibli
Shows/Exclusives:
  • South Park
  • Rick and Morty
  • Friends
  • Adventure Time (new season)
  • Big Bang Theory
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Sesame Street

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:48:04 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: HBO Max
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
Basically, if you're paying for HBO (either through cable/amazon or as HBO Now), you're now better off switching over to HBO Max.  I really like that they're adding value to the existing HBO lineup without adding to the cost or giving you only some of HBO or jacking up the price.  But they'd be DOA at anything over $15/month and I think they knew that.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
Mildly interested in some of the shows, but the overall lineup is pretty thin for us and possibly different in Canada anyway..?

Hard pass for now, although might be ok as a one-month splurge at some point.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
You should also add the second season of Gen:Lock as an HBO Max exclusive, at least for its 1st 3 months before it goes to Rooster Teeth's ironically-named "1st" Service.

As for HBO Max, I didn't pay for HBO before, and I'm not going to start now. I don't like streaming services in general. I prefer to own physical media, which isn't as subject to wanton license yanking and also doesn't randomly look like crap the moment someone in the house turns on a microwave.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:08:58 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »
I heard all existing HBO accounts get auto transferred, since it's the same price for added value.
So if you have HBO through cable, you have HBO Max online.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »
HBO Now will switch to Max automatically...not sure about HBO Go, since that's included with a cable subscription.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 01:52:35 AM »
HOw many HBO subscription are there?

HBO Cable, HBO Go, HBO Now and then they all combine into HBO Max?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 02:12:10 AM »
HBO Go is the same as the cable subscription, it's just the app you use to stream when you have that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »
You should also add the second season of Gen:Lock as an HBO Max exclusive, at least for its 1st 3 months before it goes to Rooster Teeth's ironically-named "1st" Service.

Should I add a section for timed exclusives? lol.

HOw many HBO subscription are there?

HBO Cable, HBO Go, HBO Now and then they all combine into HBO Max?

I think HBO does most of its business with cable companies, but I need to fact check that.  But HBO is $15 either way, and they end up splitting that price with cable companies.  Getting people to move away from HBO through cable and get HBO Max would be a boost for them, presumably.

I used to have HBO, but didn't pick up Now when I switched away from cable.  I'm reconsidering it now, especially with Crunchyroll in the mix, since I've been curious about dipping my toe in some more animes and they have the S4 dub of My Hero Academia.

Edit: quickly tried to find some breakdowns, but couldn't.  However, HBO brought in ~$4B in 2013, before HBO Now launched in 2015.  They now pull in around $6B.  HBO Now in 2018 had about 5M  subscribers or $75M in revenue.  Even factoring in syndication rights, physical release sales (do they still put out box sets?), and product placement, I have to assume HBO makes more from cable than streams, at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:44:50 AM by nickmitch »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »

Probably, yeah. IIRC, Seasame Street is also a timed exclusive, 1 year in its case before the episodes go to PBS.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »

Probably, yeah. IIRC, Seasame Street is also a timed exclusive, 1 year in its case before the episodes go to PBS.

My understanding was Sesame Street was still exclusively streaming on HBO Max, but would air on PBS.  I'm not sure if it's going to (or currently is) stream(ing) elsewhere once broadcast on HBO.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »
Sesame Street bring HBO exclusive now makes sense why John Oliver was able to do specials with them.  Ha.  Anyway, HBO Max seems like a decent deal If you like Animation.  In all reality, I could probably get HBO Max and Disney+ Hulu and be happy.  That would still be like $30.00 a month, but I would probably never have to go out to the movies again.  Ha.  As for the price, if you are a Friends fan or Fresh Prince, just those 2 shows alone would be worth the price for a year. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 06:34:45 PM »
From my understanding of all this HBO Max is just HBO NOW with the back catalog of Time Warner stuff.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:49:13 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 02:25:24 AM »
From the other thread
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=57729.0

Harry Potter
Godzilla vs King Kong
Looney Tunes
The Matrix
DC Comics

Turner
New Line Cinema
Cartoon Network
Hannah Barbara
HBO
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:28:43 AM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 02:32:42 AM »
You can no sign-up for HBO Max for $12/month for the first year.  Only works if you go through them and not another provider.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »
launched today. Included with my Spectrum hbo i already get. It worked on my phone, but my roku and firestick app versions were unavailable. I got it to work through screen casting though. You can just screen cast it from Windows to either of those. So, anyone can use it. It's just a roundabout way of doing it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:41 PM »
Yeah, it looks like HBO got some cable companies on board with Max.  Not sure who was appeasing who there.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 01:30:43 AM »
I'll sub the day the first AT goes live.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 05:50:12 PM »
So my HBO Now subscription magically turned into an HBO Mac sub at no extra charge, and I have to say I DO like it much better now. It wasn't a standout in my streaming library before, but now it definitely is a heavy hitter.

The major IP tentpole collections may be super eccentric and not quite thematically in the same place, but that actually works for me. I get a kick over having the LOTR movies, Harry Potters, the DC Universe (hey, I like Batfleck, so sue me...), AND Ghibli accessible now! Oh, and I DO love me some Ghibli, rewatched "From Up On Poppy Hill" on day one.

Plus there's definitely some content here I don't have access to anywhere else especially in the Turner Classic Movies collection. For instance, out of their Charlie Chaplin movies I rewatched Modern Times yesterday, I loved that move! Plus they also have the Lawrence Olivier and Greer Garson version of Pride and Prejudice, a collection of old Godzilla movies, and other weird random stuff in there. I love the diversity and out-of-left-fieldness there!

All that is a value add over what I liked about HBO before, which was their high hit ration in their timed movie curation (Yesterday, the Abyss, Godzilla King of Monsters, Alita, and more) and the occasional series I was interested in like Chernobyl (I don't really click with the majority of their tv series so far, despite my Mom and Dad getting hooked on Westworld).

The basic HBO Now stuff was just barely enough to keep them above the subscription line so far, but now with the MAX added to it content wise they're in a good place for me. Pricewise they ARE still the most expensive...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 06:56:26 PM »
HBO Max putting in that work for me right now.

Wonder Woman 84 to stream on HBO Max and Release in Theaters on Dec 25th
For the first time ever, Wonder Woman 1984 will release in theaters and stream exclusively on HBO Max* on the exact same day. December 25.

*Available on HBO Max in the US only at no extra cost to subscribers.

AT NO EXTRA COST TO HBO MAX SUBSCRIBERS!!!!

Well, i guess I have no choice but to watch it now. LOL
I really hope it's at least as entertaining as the first.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-woman-1984-going-in-theaters-hbo-max-on-christmas-day-1234618288/

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 09:52:26 PM »
I'm sure this is among the ripples from Disney's Mulan roll out.  I have to think the messaging was a big part of that though.  I remember explaining the thing to multiple people, but a lot of folks that I know are fellow millennials who live alone, even though they're likely to share logins.

But HBO Max is having a really strong rollout of content with the new Adventure Time special, the Fresh Prince reunion, and now WW84.  This is a time where Netflix usually shines (Birdbox, Bandersnatch) by having big releases that people can watch at home and take over social media for a bit.  But they might get really outshone this year.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 12:58:46 AM »
I keep on looking at HBO Max as a real contender to Netflix more than the others streamers.  First with all of HBO it has original series that are huge event series like Netflix.  With the Warner Bros history of film they have a huge library of movies to have to watch...and with many TV series it is a great place for new, and old favorites.  Throw in the fact that it has good children's options like Sesame Street and you have the making of a great all around service.  It is expensive though, but it seems to have the value there.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 01:21:45 AM »
HBO Max get actual screen time from me for all sorts of options, unlike D+, where I tune in for a MCU rewatch and Mandalorian episodes at the moment.

Netflix is still the king of "what am I gonna watch today", but HBO has found a solid slot in the movie/TV show browse before settling on some random **** I ain't never seen.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 02:33:39 AM »
I've been watching Scooby Doo on HBO Max. I'm not a fan of having to switch my input and turn on my ps4. I really with it was on Roku. Peacock made it onto Roku.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 06:11:35 AM »
If you have Prime you can get a free 7-day trial of HBO Max as an add-on. Planning to do that for WW84 and catch up on Westworld. I've no desire to add yet another subscription service to the budget line when we are already trying to tighten the belt due to current situation. Will probably consider sub-ing for a month every year or so to binge their exclusive content if it stays as good as it has been shaping up at launch..
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »
HBO Max making BIG MOVES!!!

‘Dune,’ ‘Matrix 4,’ and Every 2021 Warner Bros. Film to Debut on HBO Max and in Theaters at Same Time
All of the studios' 2021 titles will be available to stream on HBO Max for one month at the same time they open in theaters.
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/dune-matrix-all-warner-bros-films-hbo-max-1234602168/

Warner Bros. Pictures Group has announced its entire 2021 film slate will open via a “distribution model in which Warner Bros. will continue to exhibit the films theatrically worldwide, while adding an exclusive one month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release.†The strategy is identical to studio’s upcoming release of “Wonder Woman 1984,†which launches in theaters and on HBO Max for a month on December 25. Following the one-month HBO Max streaming run, all films will continue to play exclusively in theaters “with all customary distribution windows applying to the title.â€

Warner Bros. has the following films included on its 2021 slate for now (release dates could change, of course): “The Little Things,†“Judas and the Black Messiah,†“Tom & Jerry,†“Godzilla vs. Kong,†“Mortal Kombat,†“Those Who Wish Me Dead,†“The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,†“In The Heights,†“Space Jam: A New Legacy,†“The Suicide Squad,†“Reminiscence,†“Malignant,†“Dune,†“The Many Saints of Newark,†“King Richard,†“Cry Macho,†and “Matrix 4.â€

Gotta get to work on that Home Theater in the extra bedroom asap!!. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
This is BIG and a huge departure for the industry.  It'll be interesting to see if other studios follow suit.  The premium model didn't seem to work for Disney, although it worked for Trolls 2, and now WB is going the other way.  To be fair, HBO Max is a premium service and the releases are temporary.  Unlike D+ which is cheaper, but more niche, so a one off premium may have been a tougher sell to its market.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
I think the premium model works out better if you don't need to already subscribe to access the movie.

Was Mulan available everywhere for a premium? or only on D+?
I never checked.... actually, that should be free on D+ by now too, right?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 04:11:46 AM »
I don't know if you are talking about value added then 1 purchase to watch the movies you want at 14.99 a month.  If a couple or a family was going to see one movie a month then they already have paid for the service in spades.  Where the Premium I am going to own a movie for $30.00...great but I spend $30.00. 

Now HBO won't bring in the same money in the theaters for Return on Investment, but they may be able to remodel their advertising for movies and marketing and budgets to make up that money.  It is an interesting experiment and obviously, Netflix has been doing well with making direct to streaming movies, that are sometimes released in theaters as well. 

It honestly makes me want to try HBO Max.  I wonder if HBO Max works better with a VPN than Disney + because right now Disney+ in S.K. sucks.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 03:35:22 PM »
HBO Max no longer offers one-week free trial

Makes sense. I would have signed up for the trial to watch Wonder Woman 1984 for free.

Semi-related: HBO Max is offering a limited time deal (ends January 15, 2021) of 20% for six months if you pre-pay so $69.99 plus tax.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »
I think the premium model works out better if you don't need to already subscribe to access the movie.

Was Mulan available everywhere for a premium? or only on D+?
I never checked.... actually, that should be free on D+ by now too, right?

It was only on D+, but available to stream now regularly. And it was a bad move since paying $7 for the right to pay $30 is a bad value proposition.  It raises the questions of "Why pay twice?" and "What was I already paying for?"  I think Mulan could've done better if it was on the other services, since it naturally would've had a significantly broader market.  But Disney probably saw this as a potential billion dollar box office (under normal conditions) and wanted to try and keep as much of whatever revenues they were in-house as possible.

Meanwhile, WB is eating some losses on potential earnings here.  The $15/month price on HBO Max looks amazing if you frame it as "I'd normally pay $12 to see this movie, but for $3 more I can watch HBO".  And killing the one-week free trial is a smart business move.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »
Yeah, that was my point.

If you could browse content, but not actually watch it until you subscribe, you would've then seen that Mulan was available to rent for a premium.
If you weren't already a D+ subscriber, I assume Mulan just didn't exist as you could only find it on D+, which you had to already have a subscription to, and then pay extra to watch.
That limits exposure.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
Yeah, I was agreeing and elaborating.

I honestly think it made people reluctant to sign up even more hesitant to do so since it hindered the value proposition.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2020, 06:34:07 PM »
No Eddie Murphy Dragon no purchase!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2020, 08:55:31 PM »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
No Eddie Murphy Dragon no purchase!

And no songs, no good character development, no good at all. The remakes all seem to be getting worse over time. Jungle Book and Maleficent actually tried to be different and Beauty and the Beast at least stayed on the exact same path as its predecessor minus some weird design and narrative side choices.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
I liked most of the changes Beauty and the Beast made. The Paris scene was nonsensical, save for re-establishing the setting as Paris, but most of the rest of it closed the loopholes from the original.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2020, 02:04:41 PM »
And I haven't even seen either Mulan actually. This movie just sounds like a boring war movie about a drag king. I'd rather watch "Just One of the Guys" which continues the constant war of people who look like Ralph Macchio and William Zabka.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »
I won't like I have been eyeing HBO Max ever since this announcement and I know it pisses off the film makers and the movie theater industry, but I don't care.  I like this idea.  movie theaters are nice and will always make companies more money, but it also is old school. 

I want to just watch my shows at home now...it is convenient and just as fun.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »
Same Day Theater and HBO Max Movies!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8maofAPvkJM

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 12:28:41 AM »
Was that the first look at the new Space Jam just casually sneaked in there?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 04:12:28 PM »
HBO Adult Animation involves Velma from Scooby Doo series....
And no... It's not the Adult Animation based on Velma you are probably thinking of. It's an origin story (.... Perverts!! 😋)

https://www.ign.com/articles/hbo-max-new-adult-animated-shows-including-velma-dinkley-origin-story

Also includes revival of Clone High.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2021, 05:19:29 PM »
I was ordering Scooby Doo action figures from China. I was buying random assortments for 16 dollars and individual figures from 9-13 dollars. I contacted the seller and told them I would order another assortment, but I really didn't want duplicates. The seller told me don't worry, just give a list. When the 3 weeks of delivery time elapsed and I finally got my figures I got all the figures I didn't want. They were all duplicates. It was clearly a misunderstanding, I wasn't going to give them a bad review. And then their store disappeared off ebay. It was odd too because they weren't terribly bad reviewed, I did business with them before,  and had 100s of customers. It was sort of funny though. I ordered 6 figures and they sent me 7.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
I was ordering Scooby Doo action figures from China. I was buying random assortments for 16 dollars and individual figures from 9-13 dollars. I contacted the seller and told them I would order another assortment, but I really didn't want duplicates. The seller told me don't worry, just give a list. When the 3 weeks of delivery time elapsed and I finally got my figures I got all the figures I didn't want. They were all duplicates. It was clearly a misunderstanding, I wasn't going to give them a bad review. And then their store disappeared off ebay. It was odd too because they weren't terribly bad reviewed, I did business with them before,  and had 100s of customers. It was sort of funny though. I ordered 6 figures and they sent me 7.

Can I just ask.... since I'm sure someone else will be thinking the same thing as me....

but wut duz dat hav 2 do wit HBO Max n Velma adult anime?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2021, 10:36:16 PM »
HBO Adult Animation involves Velma from Scooby Doo series....
And no... It's not the Adult Animation based on Velma you are probably thinking of. It's an origin story (.... Perverts!! 😋)

We already got Velma's origin story. It was called "A Pup Named Scooby Doo".

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2021, 12:33:29 AM »
My Roku has HBO Max?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2021, 01:36:44 AM »
What does that have to do with an adult Velma cartoon?

Velma is in Scooby Doo.

looks like Velma lost her glasses again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »
Dude, you were on about some SD action figures from China.
But whatever, this is afree space to share all our random thoughts. 😋

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2021, 07:36:01 PM »
Sometimes my thought are two or three degrees away from the subject. Still relative. Not totally random. Not quite in Shelly Duvall territory. I'm not there yet. Give it some time.  During October I was watching a lot of Scooby Doo on HBO Max. I was going to start a Scooby Doo thread, but Pokepal beat me to it. Speaking of adult Velma origin stories

straight from the Scooby Thread.

I'm a long time fan of Velma. Thank Linda Cardellini for that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2021, 04:41:38 PM »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2021, 07:40:12 PM »
Zach Snyder’s Justice League | Official Trailer | HBO Max

I'm excited to finally see this movie.  Not that I think it'll be good, but it's been so long that I'm ready for the payoff.  Seeing Joker in what appears to be the Nightmare Batman parts of the movie is not where I expected him.  Also, seeing so much Darkseid in the trailer makes me think Synder is cramming all his "Part 2" ideas into this.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2021, 09:14:44 AM »
If I remember right, its 4 hours long. no need to cram part 2 into the 1st movie, when it's long enough to be both.

I haven't watched it yet, but I feel like if anyone at WB had real faith in this, they'd released it as 2 separate movies instead of blowing the wad all in one.
or they would have kept it as the 4 part mini-series and drawn in more subscribers

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2021, 02:17:44 PM »
Wait, you men it won't be a 2 or 4 parter? When did that change?

It probably makes sense to just get it over with. If the first part bombs they lose out on subscribers/interest for the latter episodes and potentially lose out on net subscribers from the folks waiting until all 4 release to sub but the bad word of mouth kills off those people's interest by the time the final part drops.

Or it's what Snyder wanted and I'm overthinking the decision.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »
Honestly Justice League wasn't terrible before, and this version looks like it was cooked better. My biggest complaint with Zach Snyder is he doesn't know how to edit a movie before he starts filming, which when released in theaters means it'll be cut to the point of not making sense. That being said if its 4 hours of epic coherent stuff then there isn't a problem. I wouldn't watch a 4 hour movie in theaters, but I would at home. It is going to be interesting to see what's different. Whole major plot points are different, but it's mainly in relation to cut scenes and CGI.

Hopefully the Ayer cut follows. When I heard WB/DC was doing recuts to make it less dark I knew there might be problems. I also want to see an alternate cut of Batman Forever.  Seeing some deleted scenes I know there is a different movie under there. I wonder what movie you could make with alternate takes and cut scenes. I probably said that before.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 06:20:40 PM by ThePerm »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 02:56:32 PM »
Just wrapped up season 2 of His Dark Materials. Highly recommended if you like Harry Potter or Narnia type stuff. The younger actors give great performances and the animal companions (daemons) are super cute.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2021, 10:09:20 PM »
I suspect they decided to just do one four hour movie after HBO did away with the free trial. No need to try and lock people in for a full month by stretching out the content anymore.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »
I really enjoyed season 1 of Miracle Workers and highly recommend it to anyone who liked The Good Place. Season 2 is basically a different show entirely thought the cast and crew appear to be the same. I gave it a chance but it did not take. Miracle Workers is a TBS show but I found it on HBO Max.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2021, 10:28:23 AM »
New Space Jam: A New Legacy trailer is out and it looks so fun and I love all the easter eggs in the Warner Bros catalog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »
I'm with you on the WB cameos.

However, I'm a little disappointed WB went with CGI for even part of the movie rather than fully hand-drawn animation. I like that we get some cel-animation; I prefer the look.

Apparently, Zendaya is voicing Lola Bunny. Interesting. Glad Malcolm D. Lee de-sexualized Lola. That was a weird time when the original came out.

Still surprised Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam are still around considering their entire gimmick is shooting things in a cartoon for kids. 🤷â€â™€ï¸

Also, kicking the ball is a turnover, Granny. Fucking amateurs...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:30:28 PM by Adrock »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2021, 04:31:39 AM »
I liked the Kristen Wiig Lola bunny on that one show. Actually, Zendaya has a very similar delivery as Mary Jane on Spider-man.

The trailer looks like WB was trying to find a secondary use for Ready Player One Assets.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »
New Superman Anime coming to HBO Max and Cartoon Network

https://deadline.com/2021/05/my-adventures-with-superman-hbo-max-cartoon-network-gives-jack-quaid-animated-series-two-season-order-1234759929/

My Adventures with Superman (starring Clark, Lois, and Jimmy Olsen)

and not to be left behind, a new Batman Animated series is also coming to HBO Max

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/batman-caped-crusader-abrams-reeves-hbo-max-1234955444/

Batman: Caped Crusader

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:19:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2021, 01:57:36 AM »
I love how the Batman Caped Cursader is using the same font of the original Animated series.  And showing a new look for Batman that leans into the mature noire aspect of the animated series.  It seems like we may ACTUALLY be getting a show that is going to try to do the same thing the original animated series was...a mature animated series for adults.  This is a good thing.  And with the Superman series coming out too...even with the different art styles (That would actually help define the tonal differences between the characters) could lead to a renewed Justice League Animated series.  I can dream right?  Right? Can history please repeat itself here?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
New teaser is out for Space Jam:  A New Legacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRInjhFOKqQ

This is going to be so fun and I love how the teaser isn't taking itself seriously. All tongue in cheek.

As an aside what is the matter with youtube embeds on here? Not working like it used to.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2021, 12:52:21 AM »
New teaser is out for Space Jam:  A New Legacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRInjhFOKqQ

This is going to be so fun and I love how the teaser isn't taking itself seriously. All tongue in cheek.

As an aside what is the matter with youtube embeds on here? Not working like it used to.

That actually got a few laughs out of me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »
Here’s the new trailer: Space Jam: A New Legacy | Official Trailer #2 | HBO Max

I haven’t watched the trailer. I just wanted an excuse to post this tweet:

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2021, 02:51:08 PM »
In case you weren't following this story, or weren't impacted by it, HBO Max completely borked it's Apple TV app to the point that people were complaining it was unusable.  They fixed it this week, after all the complaint.  Basically, HBO decided to hell with Apple's native playback tools in favor of their own.  This basically disabled pause and rewind features on their videos and other issues.  It's still unclear why they rolled out a self-sabotaging update, but the man in charge of the platform promised a fix and delivered saying "no excuses from us" while also not explaining WTF happened.