Author Topic: Aladdin GBA Impressions  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Aladdin GBA Impressions
« on: December 23, 2003, 09:14:10 AM »
Still much better than the sword-swinging Genesis version.

Scheduled for release in January '04, Capcom's Aladdin for Game Boy Advance is a direct port of the classic Super NES platformer.  After playing all the way through an essentially final version, it's safe to say that fans of Aladdin or the original game will be very pleased with how the game turned out on GBA.

This game was first released back when the Disney movie was new, so the character designs and story are straight from the movie.  Unlike the Aladdin game for Genesis, in which the title character had a sword and went through completely different levels, the Super NES version was very much a straight platformer.  Other than an arsenal of apples, which only stun most enemies, Aladdin attacks by simply jumping on top of whatever he meets.  He can also pounce off posts, swing on rings or beams, and hang on ledges.  These moves entirely define the gameplay and level design.  Even the final boss is defeated with these basic mechanics.  The only other move is parachuting with a piece of cloth, but it's not actually required to progress in the game.

Perhaps because of the simple gameplay, Aladdin features very smooth controls and clever level design.  First-time players (or those of us who are just out of practice) will likely find the game to be very difficult if each jump is taken separately.  The trick is to learn the rhythm of going from jump to bounce to swing.  It feels great to frolic through the levels, meeting each obstacle without even stopping your forward movement.  This momentum-based action is what endeared the game to many of us back in the 90s, and the magic has not been tampered with at all in the handheld version.

With only six levels, two bosses, and a bonus stage, Aladdin was a pretty short game.  Unfortunately, Capcom has not added anything to extend the experience since the original release.  If you know what you're doing, you can blow through it in less than an hour, though it will take newcomers a good while longer to grasp the controls and get comfortable with the levels.  There are ten red gems in each level that can be very challenging to collect, so there's something for the completists.

Aladdin for GBA is an admirably perfect handheld port of a game that deserves to be played by a new generation.  It's pure nostalgia for me, but if you've never played this classic platformer, here's your chance.  We'll have a full review when the game ships.

Jonathan Metts, Director

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Aladdin GBA Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 09:16:11 AM »
Ah man, I LOVED that game! I"d go over to my friends house to play it all the time (because I never had an SNES ).  A lot of people may complain about the GBA getting a bunch of SNES ports, but for those like me, it's great.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Aladdin GBA Impressions
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 09:52:13 AM »
I OWN that game for the Genesis.  I LOOOOVE it!  Man, you get to throw APPLES! x apple
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Crono

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 04:02:31 PM »
Hell yea that game was awesome!! my favorite level was where your on the magic carpet. and your running from the lava. but yea that would be cool to play on a handheld.
Current games im playing : Total Annihilation Kingdoms (PC) True Crime Streets Of LA. (GC) Soul Caliber II (GC) Xenogears (PSX)
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 05:13:22 PM »
The Genesis version is a completely different game.  This is a port of the Super NES game.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 05:49:17 PM »
I liked both games. The Genesis version had one advantage in that it was made by Virgin (which was then owned by Disney I believe), so everything in the game looks exactly like it did in the movie.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 06:17:33 PM »
The GBA has a new level in each stage, actually. But they're not overwhelmingly cool.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 05:25:21 AM »

The Genesis version is a completely different game. This is a port of the Super NES game.

Well, it doesn't really matter to me because I wasn't gonna buy it anyway.  But I guess I misread the title or something.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline iamtheearth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 04:43:52 PM »
The MegaDrive/Genesis version OWNED the SNES version completely!! I remember back when this game came out, I had the choice of getting it or Sonic + Knuckles for christmas, and i never regretted my choice.

Unlike the extremely bland and disjointed Snes version, the MegaDrive/Genesis version actually felt as though you were playing through the movie, and dare I say it, was probably one of the best games on the system, and definitely is in my top 10 games of all time

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 08:00:44 AM »
I must say, the game had some great animation, and the game was good. But the collision detection drove people insane, not to mention the level design was a bit misleading.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!