Author Topic: Twilight Princess HD To Include New Dungeon That Requires Amiibo?  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight Princess HD To Include New Dungeon That Requires Amiibo?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »
Twilight Princess had the same number of dungeons as Ocarina of Time did (9). The pacing is just very slow in Twilight Princess because you had more going on and getting to each dungeon took a while. Not to mention the side-quests here and there.

Snowpeak was beautiful, but a pain in the ass to navigate.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 04:04:37 PM »
I'm not a fan of Snowpeak either, largely because I feel like it's a dungeon heavy on backtracking and very weak progression. However, the dungeon I'd cut from Twilight is the Sky Temple. I just can't stand its shitty music and tedious progression, not to mention the lame Double Clawshot dungeon item (which pretty much does what the normal Clawshit should have done from the beginning).

Honestly, my complaints with Snowpeak kind of sum up Twilight Princess in general: it takes for-****ing-EVER to do anything substantial or get anywhere because you have to go through every area twice, often bogged down with lengthy, boring, silent cutscenes. You even have to run through the Lost Woods twice for no apparent reason. It's loaded with so much sheer padding that the entire game feels about 30 hours too long for me. Sadly, Nintendo didn't learn from any of their mistakes in TP and just made them even worse in Skyward Sword.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 04:54:52 AM »
If you are kind enough to count it within the line, it was a Goddess send that A Link Between Worlds moved like lightning.

I don't think we'll see that with The Legend of Zelda for Wii U.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 05:54:39 PM »
If you are kind enough to count it within the line, it was a Goddess send that A Link Between Worlds moved like lightning.

I don't think we'll see that with The Legend of Zelda for Wii U.

Why not?  A Link Between Worlds was released after Aonuma announced they were taking the series in a new direction in the January 2013 Nintendo Direct, with the main focus on the series being more open now, which is exactly what Link Between Worlds did.  They also made it pretty clear Link Between Worlds was going to be the precursor gameplay wise to Zelda Wii U since it was the teams first open world game.

If Link Between Worlds eliminated the required padding between dungeons that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks had, it's not that hard to believe Zelda Wii U will eliminate the padding Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword required.  Especially since they've even mentioned this new focus on being open world is a response to fan complaints about Skyward Sword being full of too much handholding and fetch quest.

Now being Open World is going to open a whole new set of questions and concerns, particularly dungeon design since Link Between Worlds took a hit for allowing players to do them in any order so it'll be interesting how they handle them, but being too slow and bogged down by forced fetchquest to progress shouldn't be one of them, especially since that would kind of destroy the whole point of making an open world Zelda in the first place.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
I love Zelda I do, I really do, but I am wondering if it might be time to take the franchise in an entirely different direction and turn it into a real RPG once and for all. Maybe expand the game play, build a new level and skill system, introduce some new characters that go on a quest along with Link, just totally mix it up, not just a spin off like Hyrule Warriors but a total re-brand of the saga? Making it bigger but not changing the core game sounds fruitless, they keep making it bigger but they haven't figured out that larger worlds with less to do is not what people want. New gameplay ideas that are not tied to swinging the remote and pretending to be a sword are not very good ideas either.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
I think the open world approach will be a good direction to go in because games like that don't have padding the way recent Zelda games have.  They have lots of stuff and some of it can feel like filler but there are usually lots of optional quests so it's not like you have to do them.  The idea of having to do some fetch quest or re-visit an area as a requirement to proceed is an out-of-date way of making a game longer.

Zelda is supposed to be a grand adventure.  There aren't many games released before it on the NES, or consoles period, that were as huge as it.  Nintendo had tried ideas like motion control sword swinging to keep things fresh but that's not really what Zelda sequels did in the past.  They used to make everything bigger and give the player more things to do.  I think a big part of that came from all the extra things that new and improved hardware would offer.  Note that games like LttP and OoT went bigger while titles like Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask, that didn't coincide with improved hardware, did other things to stand out.  Nintendo essentially didn't update their hardware for 11 years so the games didn't grow with the hardware and they had to come up with gameplay concepts like Wolf Link and motion controlled sword swinging to justify making new Zeldas.  But now they've done a hardware increase so they can make Zelda bigger again.

There are two rules I want them to follow:
1. No blatant padding.
2. Give the player some credit and let them figure out puzzles without the game stopping every ten seconds to tell you exactly what to do at all times.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
I think the open world approach will be a good direction to go in because games like that don't have padding the way recent Zelda games have.  They have lots of stuff and some of it can feel like filler but there are usually lots of optional quests so it's not like you have to do them.  The idea of having to do some fetch quest or re-visit an area as a requirement to proceed is an out-of-date way of making a game longer.

You don't play many Ubisoft games, do you? Hell, I just finished the most recent Assassin's Creed the other day, and the game locks the final chapter of the game behind clearing out all the optional sidequests in 3 of the world's districts. And before that, I played through AC Unity, a game where the map is so cluttered with icon barf that you can't even see your mission markers unless you clear out all the optional stuff.

So yeah, there's certainly padding in Open World games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 02:08:05 PM »

You don't play many Ubisoft games, do you? Hell, I just finished the most recent Assassin's Creed the other day, and the game locks the final chapter of the game behind clearing out all the optional sidequests in 3 of the world's districts. And before that, I played through AC Unity, a game where the map is so cluttered with icon barf that you can't even see your mission markers unless you clear out all the optional stuff.

So yeah, there's certainly padding in Open World games.

I think the last time I played a Ubisoft game was on the Gamecube. :)

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 03:43:53 PM »
I don't think Nintendo needs to make Zelda more like those games, but they DO need to make a game that is like that on their console. They need to look beyond just Zelda and Mario though.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.