Author Topic: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?  (Read 27937 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »
The NX should should have a connector that supports 8k and have the horse power to allow streaming services and possible media based video methods to drive a TV at 8k.  Only a gimmick game could be at 8k and that's ok.

This will make sure that everything is in place to be in 4k for gaming and the bandwidth requirements for streaming at 8k would nearly mandate AC Wireless and a Gigabit Ethernet port.  If they take a PS3 approach to streaming this could work out well for them.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »
I don't like this smaller generations idea.  As the obvious jump with hardware becomes less noticeable our generations should get longer, not shorter.  There is a reason why the PS3 and Xbox 360 took so long to get replaced and Nintendo even stuck with the Wii for longer than a typical generation.  Unless Nintendo goes with really weak hardware yet again I don't see what improvement new hardware every 3 years is going to offer that is obvious to the general consumer.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
Graphics is a good tie breaker
Exactly, which makes graphics a selling point, so Nintendo might need it to compete.

Another point is that many PS4 and XBONE games are still releasing on the PS360, so if people didn't care about graphics then no one would be buying new systems to play what they could already get on PS360.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
Another point is that many PS4 and XBONE games are still releasing on the PS360, so if people didn't care about graphics then no one would be buying new systems to play what they could already get on PS360.

There's still new games being released that are PS4/One exclusive which makes the urge to upgrade much greater.  If every game being released for those systems was still getting 360/PS3 versions, hardware sales would be much lower.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »

There's still new games being released that are PS4/One exclusive which makes the urge to upgrade much greater.  If every game being released for those systems was still getting 360/PS3 versions, hardware sales would be much lower.
The PS4 was selling well long before it started getting good exclusives.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »

The hardcore fans will buy the newest systems for the best graphics early on which is true and there are millions of people willing to buy the newest systems many for better graphics.  But after a while everybody else is going to need some more convincing which the exclusives do.  Plus the PS4 has been selling worse in North America this year then last year so having the best graphics alone isn't exactly the best longterm sales driver.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »

The hardcore fans will buy the newest systems for the best graphics early on which is true and there are millions of people willing to buy the newest systems many for better graphics.  But after a while everybody else is going to need some more convincing which the exclusives do.  Plus the PS4 has been selling worse in North America this year then last year so having the best graphics alone isn't exactly the best longterm sales driver.

And yet Sony's moved nearly 30 million of them and it's just behind the pace of the PS2: the best-selling console in gaming history. I'd say it's working out for them quite nicely.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
It appears my point has been misconstrued, so I'll clarify: I never said that graphics are the only selling point, just that they are one of its selling points, meaning there are others. So I don't necessarily disagree with any other selling point brought up, just as an addition to graphics, not in place of.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
And yet Sony's moved nearly 30 million of them and it's just behind the pace of the PS2: the best-selling console in gaming history. I'd say it's working out for them quite nicely.

Not sure where you got that, but PS4 is significantly ahead of PS2 in terms of sales at this point in its lifetime. PS2 took 32 months to sell 20 million consoles, PS4 sold 25 million in 20 months. Not sure exactly how it figures when you add in the time that PS2 was available only in Japan, but I believe PS4 would still be ahead, all things considered.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »
Psht, who needs Graphics!
8-bit Demons look quite nice naked, thank you very much!
Made you look ****.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2015, 05:57:35 AM »
Psht, who needs Graphics!
8-bit Demons look quite nice naked, thank you very much!

What???

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »
I can't see Nintendo getting away with upgrading the hardware on the console side every few years. People view consoles as a one-time purchase every 5 years or so. That's the best thing about consoles. The handheld side is a different matter. The technology ages more noticeably because it's always weaker hardware, the buttons wear down, battery life fades, and it's cheaper and easier to replace. I recently bought a New 3DS (to replace one with a busted L button). The CPU bump drastically improved navigating the menus. It's a great replacement purchase. The caveat being that it isn't worth upgrading if you just want a shiny, new thing. That's something Nintendo is really going to have to figure out if it's going the route of new hardware every few years. A mini-spec bump and redesign on the handheld side can work as long as it doesn't split the user base. It's probably best to leave the console alone though.

Offline PaulGaleNetwork

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
If the NX was powerful enough to run gaming at 4K and have some good looking games that really pushed the polygons beyond what the current systems could do...then Nintendo would definitely have a beast on their hands.

I agree with the 4K TV purchase, too.  If you knew Big N's next system would be 4K ready, that'd be some nice incentive to get a new setup now.  I game on a 60" 1080p set which I really like, but will probably evolve to a 64" 4K one, as soon as there's a console that comes out that can take full advantage of it.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
RCA UHD 4K 55" $499.00. (not a black friday sale)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/453009/LED55G65RQ_55_4K_Ultra_HD_LED_TV

might grab this. Saw smash 4 on it and it looked outstanding!

Offline subliminalman

• View Profile
    • Subliminal Gaming
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
4k is a pretty crazy realm to be in for devs. When CoD came out for the PS4 and Xbox One people were complaining that the Xb1 version was at 720p but the thing is it had better lighting and shaders than at 1080p. 4k is four 1920x1080 screens in one, post processing takes a hit and especially real time lighting. So you would have sharper looking worlds but not as visually interesting ones if the hardware isn't up to it. If Nintendo did NX at 4k it would have to be a beastly machine for realtime graphics. I'll take 1080p for now, maybe the PS5, Xbox2, and NXX will be great for native 4k.
I like to make games. www.skypetsgame.com

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »
4k is a pretty crazy realm to be in for devs. When CoD came out for the PS4 and Xbox One people were complaining that the Xb1 version was at 720p but the thing is it had better lighting and shaders than at 1080p. 4k is four 1920x1080 screens in one, post processing takes a hit and especially real time lighting. So you would have sharper looking worlds but not as visually interesting ones if the hardware isn't up to it. If Nintendo did NX at 4k it would have to be a beastly machine for realtime graphics. I'll take 1080p for now, maybe the PS5, Xbox2, and NXX will be great for native 4k.

This is what I was getting at.  Yes, I guess you COULD upscale and just have something running on 1080 assets in 4K but that isn't really true 4K.  When you don't really even see movies or television releasing in 4K.  When people are still discussing the logistics of streaming 4K video seamlessly it seem rather premature to think video games should have the technology. 

We are probably talking about 3-4 years before 4K TVs penetrate the general market with any really large market share.  TV makers are just trying to push technology faster than we need to, because they need people to jump to buy the next thing.  But gaming WILL suffer.  1080 wasn't truly viable as an option with the PS3 and Xbox 360 720 was.  Now 1080 is looking good on the Xbox 1 and PS4.  These systems are nearing the end of there second year of life.  We have probably  3-5 more years with these systems and I am still not sure that 4K will be viable for gaming, not because of technology restraints but because of development costs. 

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »
"Optionality" is the key here people. The Nvidia Shield is streaming 4k 60fps Gaming from PC's on 3GB of ram and a chipset less advanced than a PS4.  There are 4K phones that...ok, 4K phones are complete overkill but the point remains. The Roku streams Netflix 4K and cost $129.00. You don't have to be able to run native 4K gaming but push the tech as far as it can go, it's not expensive. Make the NX look as if it has plans to be around more than 24months. The point is while yes, 4K is not at the moment viable for gaming, it's time for Nintendo to stop thinking 6months ahead and think 6years a head. The Wii U has a phenomenal library of games on tech that clearly was only 6 months a head of the curve, if that. People will pay through the nose if they think they are getting their money's worth. This is the same company that put "Glasses free 3D" in a handheld, I expect them to step up to the plate and show me some ill **** this go round.

HDMI 2.0
USB 3.0
8GB RAM

That's all you need and that better be the bare minimum the NX has under the hood(4k or Not) or it'll be the same story.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2015, 01:52:39 AM »
Shield is only running native 720Pgaming and 1080 while it's using "grid" (think Cloud).

To run current gen games at 4K you'll need some serious muscle and I doubt Nintendo's going try launching the NX at (PS3) pricing of $700+.

You're not going be able to "build'" an $300-400 console that's capable of gaming at 4k in the next year, hell I would say in the next three years.

So I still think you're better off saving your money and buying the cheaper 1080P TV or spending the money on a much larger set.

My guess, VR gaming might 'finally" have a future.  That new Crytek demo is just plain sick.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »
Shield is only running native 720Pgaming and 1080 while it's using "grid" (think Cloud).

Enjoy the convenience of playing PC gaming on your TV with your SHIELD. Connect your SHIELD TV to a 4K TV and enjoy 4K, 60fps gaming with 5.1 surround sound through our [/size]GeForce Experience Beta[/size].[/color]

Source http://shield.nvidia.com/game-stream

However, your point is not lost on me
[/size][/color]

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2015, 07:53:25 AM »
Yeah, Shield Android TV can do GameStream (local streaming) at 4k 60FPS - but Grid (which is now GeForce Now), the cloud service can only do 1080p 60FPS currently - but that is a cloud service, so your internet connection would have to be faster than the majority in this country, or at the least Nvidia would have to upgrade all of their servers. It can also do native Android games at 4k, if they support it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:56:21 AM by Brandogg »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »
Also DareDevil and Jessica Jones are filmed in 4k...so that's a reason to have a console that can at least "do" 4k output.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
Also DareDevil and Jessica Jones are filmed in 4k...so that's a reason to have a console that can at least "do" 4k output.
And yet Jessica Jones looks grainy.  I hate how they shot that at time.

I stand by what I said.  8k TVs are coming in 5 years.  The specs of the NVidia shield really shows that streaming takes a lot less horsepower and the NX should be able to do that and 4k games that are 4k because they can.  1080p 60fps non-compromised should be the norm.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »
One, I am a freakin prophet and two, I am pretty sure now that the NX will support 4k. It just has to.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2016, 06:54:58 PM »
With Nintendo you can never be sure even if you feel the feature "just has to" be supported.  Nintendo didn't support HDTVs on the Wii and their logic for doing so was that the then adoption rate of those TVs was not high enough.  It was really small minded thinking as the lack of that feature looked outdated and silly probably six months after the Wii launched.  In the end the console still sold but they really came across a fuddy-duddies with a decision that would affect their product for years but was based entirely on the present.  In 2006 anyone I knew that was going to get a new TV was going to get an HD one.  Even if the adoption wasn't quite were Nintendo felt it should be it was clear as day that anyone buying a new TV between the Wii launch and whenever it's successor was coming out was going to buy an HDTV.  It was as asinine as a decision as their rationale for not going online on the Cube which, again, they pointed to the adoption rates of that very specific moment in time as their justification when everyone under the age of 60 knew that high speed internet was becoming the thing and waiting for another gen would be waiting too long.

I'm not even sure that 4K is really going to become an expected feature but the adoption rate at this very moment is almost certainly not at the level that Nintendo would be happy with.  Their history suggests that Nintendo will be late to the party on new tech.  That has been their story for 20 years.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
I really don't think 4K is going to catch on to the extent that it matters whether or not Nintendo supports it. This isn't HD in 2006 where I think everybody knew it was coming, just a matter of when. This is another 3D TV, or 240hz, or whatever bullshit excuse Samsung and Sony are trying to use to convince people they need to buy a new TV every two years.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent