Author Topic: Should/will Nintendo follow PS4 price cut  (Read 29378 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Should/will Nintendo follow PS4 price cut
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
Ian, will you be picking up Smash Bros or Splatoon?  It seems like you may have been interested in that bundle.

Also, are there any eShop titles that pique your interests?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2015, 12:09:25 AM »
Which bargain bin did you select it from?

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2015, 12:23:32 PM »
Ian, will you be picking up Smash Bros or Splatoon?  It seems like you may have been interested in that bundle.

Also, are there any eShop titles that pique your interests?

Nothing on the eShop is specifically interesting me right now but I haven't really looked, just going by reputation.  The bundle interested me since with two games that both look pretty good it seemed like the best deal.  They're more games I'm sure I would enjoy if they came with the system but not titles I'm specifically interested in.  They seem like impulse buys if I could find them cheap, which probably won't happen any time soon since they're first party titles.

Actually that's something else that hurts the Wii U a bit.  If you go buy one of the other consoles it isn't hard to find tons of good titles in the cheap bin at Wal-Mart, some of which aren't even a year old.  Nintendo's titles don't drop in price like that and they don't have enough third party support to help fill the bin.  The cheap bin Wii U titles are like shovelware based on kids TV shows and stuff like that.  I don't think "have more games in the cheap bin" is something to specifically aim for but it is just something that makes the console a little less enticing to consumers.  It's like during the N64 years it was really favourable for the PlayStation to have these cheap bargain titles while N64 cartridges remained expensive.  It's something that would fix itself if they improved third party support.

Oh and my Pikmin 3 disc isn't working.  Gives some error about the disc being dirty, though it can tell that the disc is Pikmin 3.  The store has a good policy about returning used games within 30 days so I'll get my money back.  My concern is that since Mario Kart is pre-installed, this is the only physical Wii U disc I've tried on my console.  For all I know my disc drive is defective.  I have a Wii U owner friend coming by in about a week so I think I'll ask him to bring another disc so I can test.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
You could try a Wii disc if you have one of them lying around.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »
Ian, hope everything works out with the Wii U situation.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2015, 01:22:13 AM »
Well I bought a Wii U. 

This is truly a sign of the end times and the Wii U was the number one selling item on Black Friday @ Target (not a joke)

Honestly Ian, Welcome to the club. Mario Kart is damn near perfect. One of the systems MAJOR flaws is Disc Durability. Its not the bottom of the disc you have to worry about, its the top. Any game I have with the artwork scratched WILL NOT WORK. Check the Top of the disc for scratches if the screen gives you a "dirty" msg.

#apocalypse

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-reports-strong-start-to-black-friday-weekend-online-and-in-stores

#1 selling item at target.com - that might actually be just the #1 selling console, or I guess iPads are listed individually and not lumped together. Because if target.com sold an iPad every second, and Wii U actually sold better than that, then that's over 86,4000 sales in one day, on one website, which is extremely unlikely for our 32GB friend.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-reports-strong-start-to-black-friday-weekend-online-and-in-stores

#1 selling item at target.com - that might actually be just the #1 selling console, or I guess iPads are listed individually and not lumped together. Because if target.com sold an iPad every second, and Wii U actually sold better than that, then that's over 86,4000 sales in one day, on one website, which is extremely unlikely for our 32GB friend.

But Ian just bought a Wii U, anything is possible now..and I'm only half way joking. If $250 was what everybody was waiting for ...I doubt it but who knows? America loves an underdog story.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

But Ian just bought a Wii U, anything is possible now..and I'm only half way joking. If $250 was what everybody was waiting for ...I doubt it but who knows? America loves an underdog story.

The system has some awesome games, it just doesn't have enough of them because of the third party situation.  It needs a more impulse-buy price point, where you don't mind having spent the money when you're only going to get a handful of games for the thing.  I imagine I wasn't alone in waiting for a price cut so high black friday sales don't surprise me.

Oh and I tried a Wii disc and it worked fine.  Friend is coming by with some Wii U games on Friday so I'll have tested for sure.  Haven't tried the top of the disc yet, since that makes no sense and I wouldn't think to do such a thing unless someone specifically told me to.  I don't even understand how the Wii U can't read the disc when it can detect that is Pikmin 3!  Obviously it can read the damn thing if it could figure that information out!

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
Great to know there is one more Wii U user in the world. As for games to recommend, I am not sure what your tastes are but I highly recommend Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, NES Remix 1 and 2, and of course Super Mario 3D World. As for eshop games I would suggest doing some research and watching some videos, there are so many games I heard were great that turned out to be lame.

Only eshop game I can recommend that I am certain is Wii U exclusive would be unEpic unless you already had it on Steam. I had it on Steam but still got it on Wii U because it's a great game and there is also Shovel Knight but I think that one might not be Wii U exclusive at all.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »
Top of the Pikmin 3 disc has a big scratch.  Bummer.  That gives me more confidence though that it is the game and not the console.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »
You may have already noticed but Nintendo's proprietary Wii U discs have curved rounded edges unlike a typical straight edge disc, it's weird.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
I actually love the curved edges on U discs. I hope it carries on to the next console. Just a nice little touch I wish they had been doing since they began using discs.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
I actually love the curved edges on U discs. I hope it carries on to the next console. Just a nice little touch I wish they had been doing since they began using discs.

But the Next System is Cartridge based.

Ian please buy Wonderful101 to fill your Pikmin3 void (I know its not the same game or even the same genre shhhh)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »
I'd rather they focus on the discs being durable.  The PS3 and bluray discs are extremely durable.  I wouldn't worry about a scratch on top or minor scratches on the bottom surface because of the protection layer.  Sounds like that is not the case with the Wii U though.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
I don't really care what the media looks like as long as it:

1. Works consistently.
2. Doesn't raise the price of games.
3. Doesn't discourage third party developers from supporting the console.

The Wii U is the only disc based ANYTHING I've ever owned where I'm being told to beware of scratches on the TOP of the disc.  If the curved edges are to blame, to hell with them.  It's just the thing that holds the game program on it.  It's a tool, so practicality should be the priority.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »
Actually any blu-disc has that issue.  The top layer to the bottom record layer isn't very thick and what happens is "light" gets though making it hard for the laser to read correctly. 

Had a few movies that my PS3/Ps4 couldn't read even though the disc was right out of the packaging.  :(
http://lis3353.wikispaces.com/file/view/Blue_ray_CD_DVD.jpg/30220078/Blue_ray_CD_DVD.jpg
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:49:23 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
The Wii U is the only disc based ANYTHING I've ever owned where I'm being told to beware of scratches on the TOP of the disc.
Every used game store I've been to (including but not limited to GameStop) refuses to accept any disc based media if there's a top scratch. It may play fine, but there's a good chance it won't so no surprise that second-hand shops wouldn't want to take that chance. This isn't a Wii U exclusive problem. It's just another disadvantage of discs. They're cheap to press, but you can't have it all.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2015, 10:59:52 PM »
Yes, that's how it's always been. It's not so much as the top scratch is actually damaging the data of the disc, it's more about the laser not being reflected back down properly.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
Yes, that's how it's always been. It's not so much as the top scratch is actually damaging the data of the disc, it's more about the laser not being reflected back down properly.

I learn so much from these forums.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2015, 04:15:14 PM »
Brandogg is the man when it comes to game system repair issues.

Speaking of which: Brandogg, are you familiar with GBA SPs? My sound fades in and out on the speaker and pressing down on the speaker seems to get the sound back for a bit. I suspect something is loose and may have to open it up to fix it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2015, 05:01:41 PM »
The Wii U is the only disc based ANYTHING I've ever owned where I'm being told to beware of scratches on the TOP of the disc.
Every used game store I've been to (including but not limited to GameStop) refuses to accept any disc based media if there's a top scratch. It may play fine, but there's a good chance it won't so no surprise that second-hand shops wouldn't want to take that chance. This isn't a Wii U exclusive problem. It's just another disadvantage of discs. They're cheap to press, but you can't have it all.

Never heard of it being something to look for until now but if it affects other consoles then I'll give Nintendo a break on this.

I just a physical copy of Super Mario Maker for my birthday.  Played it last night with no issues so it looks like my Wii U console is fine, thankfully.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »
I would return the disc, but if for some reason that doesn't work...nail polish.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
Yeah, top-scratches have been a thing since CD & laserdiscs... :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »
Stratos - it sounds like a short in the wire connecting the speaker. Could possibly be the speaker itself, but much more likely just a bad solder joint. Any issues with headphones?